syntax highlightening on amiga

  • Kolbjørn Barmen
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2000
      Hi!

      Not sure who to adress this to, but...

      The amiga version of vim doesnt support real colour highlightening, which is
      pretty daft considering that the amiga console is pretty much stright forward
      ansi terminal compliant. If I use vim on my amiga with highlightening, I just
      get a mingle of underscore and bold (confuses more than it helps), while if
      I telnet/ssh to some other machine (linux/*bsd/whatever) from the same shell
      and con:, and run vim there with TERM=ansi, I get the full colour
      highlightening and all. Just so stupid that it doesnt work locally.

      Also, if there is interest for it, I have updated icons for vim, most
      amiga users do not run 2bit diplays any more, most users prefer more
      vivid icons. :)

      -- kolla
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 2000
        Kolla wrote:

        > The amiga version of vim doesnt support real colour highlightening, which is
        > pretty daft considering that the amiga console is pretty much stright forward
        > ansi terminal compliant. If I use vim on my amiga with highlightening, I just
        > get a mingle of underscore and bold (confuses more than it helps), while if
        > I telnet/ssh to some other machine (linux/*bsd/whatever) from the same shell
        > and con:, and run vim there with TERM=ansi, I get the full colour
        > highlightening and all. Just so stupid that it doesnt work locally.

        I'm afraid I still have the 4 color display (got a spare Amiga, anyone?)...

        Anyway, it should be a matter of setting the right termcap entries. Try this:

        :set t_Co=8

        > Also, if there is interest for it, I have updated icons for vim, most
        > amiga users do not run 2bit diplays any more, most users prefer more
        > vivid icons. :)

        There are 8 color icons in the distribution (runtime/icons).

        --
        If an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid
        just as it would for a vehicle.

      • Kolbjørn Barmen
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 7, 2000
          On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > Kolla wrote:
          >
          > > The amiga version of vim doesnt support real colour highlightening, which
          > > is pretty daft considering that the amiga console is pretty much stright
          > > forward ansi terminal compliant. If I use vim on my amiga with
          > > highlightening, I just get a mingle of underscore and bold (confuses more
          > > than it helps), while if I telnet/ssh to some other machine
          > > (linux/*bsd/whatever) from the same shell and con:, and run vim there with
          > > TERM=ansi, I get the full colour highlightening and all. Just so stupid
          > > that it doesnt work locally.
          >
          > I'm afraid I still have the 4 color display (got a spare Amiga, anyone?)...

          Tried UAE yet? :)

          > Anyway, it should be a matter of setting the right termcap entries. Try
          > this:
          >
          > :set t_Co=8

          Doesnt bring colours, but thanks :)

          > > Also, if there is interest for it, I have updated icons for vim, most amiga
          > > users do not run 2bit diplays any more, most users prefer more vivid icons.
          > > :)
          >
          > There are 8 color icons in the distribution (runtime/icons).

          I mean 5bit (32 colours) icons that most of us amiga users use today :)

          -- kolla
        • Bram Moolenaar
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 8, 2000
            Kolla wrote:

            > > I'm afraid I still have the 4 color display (got a spare Amiga, anyone?)...
            >
            > Tried UAE yet? :)

            [For those who don't know UAE: That's a simulater to run Amiga programs on a
            Unix system]

            I tried it some time back, but it didn't work well for me. Perhaps I should
            give it another try... I wonder if UAE on a 800 MHz Duron will compile Vim
            faster than my 25 MHz 68030 machine?

            > > There are 8 color icons in the distribution (runtime/icons).
            >
            > I mean 5bit (32 colours) icons that most of us amiga users use today :)

            4-8-16-32 colors. It's a pity there isn't a standard. I'm afraid I don't
            have the time to dive into this. If you know a good way to add the 32 color
            icons while still keeping it working for people like me that only have 4
            colors, send me a patch please.

            --
            BEDEVERE: Stand by for attack!!
            [CUT TO enormous army forming up. Trebuchets, rows of PIKEMEN, siege