Unable to update Vim past ver 7.4.408

  • Bob Hyam
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 29, 2014
      I have been using this script to update Vim for a long time, but noe I cannot upgrade beyond patch 408.

      I tried manually from cli but get same result.

      cd /usr/src/vim
      hg pull
      hg update
      make distclean
      ./configure --enable-rubyinterp=yes --enable-pythoninterp=yes --with-python-config-dir=/usr/lib/python2.6/config --with-features=huge --enable-gui=auto --with-compiledby=Bob_Hyam
      ##cd src && make first
      cd src
      make
      make install

      Any guidance would be greatly appreciated !

      Thanks, Bob H

    • Eric Christopherson
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 29, 2014
        On Fri, Aug 29, 2014, Bob Hyam wrote:
        > I have been using this script to update Vim for a long time, but noe I cannot upgrade beyond patch 408.
        >
        > I tried manually from cli but get same result.
        >

        > cd /usr/src/vim
        > hg pull
        > hg update
        > make distclean
        > ./configure --enable-rubyinterp=yes --enable-pythoninterp=yes --with-python-config-dir=/usr/lib/python2.6/config --with-features=huge --enable-gui=auto --with-compiledby=Bob_Hyam
        > ##cd src && make first
        > cd src
        > make
        > make install
        >

        > Any guidance would be greatly appreciated !
        >
        > Thanks, Bob H

        What happens when you try? What OS are you using?

      • Bob Hyam
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 29, 2014
          On Friday, August 29, 2014 6:12:19 PM UTC-7, Eric Christopherson wrote:
          > On Fri, Aug 29, 2014, Bob Hyam wrote:
          >
          > > I have been using this script to update Vim for a long time, but noe I cannot upgrade beyond patch 408.
          >

          > > I tried manually from cli but get same result.
          >

          > > cd /usr/src/vim
          >
          > > hg pull
          >
          > > hg update
          >
          > > make distclean
          >
          > > ./configure --enable-rubyinterp=yes --enable-pythoninterp=yes --with-python-config-dir=/usr/lib/python2.6/config --with-features=huge --enable-gui=auto --with-compiledby=Bob_Hyam
          >
          > > ##cd src && make first
          >
          > > cd src
          >
          > > make
          >
          > > make install
          >

          > > Any guidance would be greatly appreciated !
          >

          > > Thanks, Bob H
          >

          > What happens when you try? What OS are you using?

          Sorry about that, Debian wheezy amd64. No errors seem to occur, it just remains the same version I started with. Does anyone know if this building creates a log file I could go through ? The screen updates pretty quickly so I can't say for sure there are no errors.

          Thanks for answering, Bob H

        • Andrei Olsen
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 30, 2014
            On Saturday, August 30, 2014 5:07:10 AM UTC+2, Bob Hyam wrote:
            > On Friday, August 29, 2014 6:12:19 PM UTC-7, Eric Christopherson wrote:
            > > On Fri, Aug 29, 2014, Bob Hyam wrote:
            > >
            > > > I have been using this script to update Vim for a long time, but noe I cannot upgrade beyond patch 408.
            > >

            > > > I tried manually from cli but get same result.
            > >

            > > > cd /usr/src/vim
            > >
            > > > hg pull
            > >
            > > > hg update
            > >
            > > > make distclean
            > >
            > > > ./configure --enable-rubyinterp=yes --enable-pythoninterp=yes --with-python-config-dir=/usr/lib/python2.6/config --with-features=huge --enable-gui=auto --with-compiledby=Bob_Hyam
            > >
            > > > ##cd src && make first
            > >
            > > > cd src
            > >
            > > > make
            > >
            > > > make install
            > >

            > > > Any guidance would be greatly appreciated !
            > >

            > > > Thanks, Bob H
            > >

            > > What happens when you try? What OS are you using?
            >
            > Sorry about that, Debian wheezy amd64. No errors seem to occur, it just remains the same version I started with. Does anyone know if this building creates a log file I could go through ? The screen updates pretty quickly so I can't say for sure there are no errors.
            >
            > Thanks for answering, Bob H

            I run the latest 429 on Debian Wheezy as I write.

            Maybe you have several versions on your system. Did you try:
            which -a vim

            Also, did you try to run your locally compiled file, that is in /usr/src/vim/src/ ?

            What "hg summary" says?

          • Bob Hyam
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 30, 2014
              On Sa> >
              > > Sorry about that, Debian wheezy amd64. No errors seem to occur, it just remains the same version I started with. Does anyone know if this building creates a log file I could go through ? The screen updates pretty quickly so I can't say for sure there are no errors.
              > >
              > > Thanks for answering, Bob H
              >
              > I run the latest 429 on Debian Wheezy as I write.
              >
              > Maybe you have several versions on your system. Did you try:
              > which -a vim
              >
              > Also, did you try to run your locally compiled file, that is in /usr/src/vim/src/ ?
              >
              > What "hg summary" says?

              alpha:/usr/src/vim>root#hg summary
              Not trusting file /usr/src/vim/.hg/hgrc from untrusted user bobh, group users
              Not trusting file /usr/src/vim/.hg/hgrc from untrusted user bobh, group users
              parent: 6142:4c08173b8b95 tip
              Add files missing from 7.4.408.
              branch: default
              commit: 1 modified, 2 unknown
              update: (current)

              BobH

            • Bob Hyam
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 30, 2014
                On Saturday, August 30, 2014 3:33:21 PM UTC-7, Bob Hyam wrote:
                > On Sa> >
                > > > Sorry about that, Debian wheezy amd64. No errors seem to occur, it just remains the same version I started with. Does anyone know if this building creates a log file I could go through ? The screen updates pretty quickly so I can't say for sure there are no errors.
                > > >
                > > > Thanks for answering, Bob H
                > >
                > > I run the latest 429 on Debian Wheezy as I write.
                > >
                > > Maybe you have several versions on your system. Did you try:
                > > which -a vim
                > >
                > > Also, did you try to run your locally compiled file, that is in /usr/src/vim/src/ ?
                > >
                > > What "hg summary" says?
                >
                > alpha:/usr/src/vim>root#hg summary
                > Not trusting file /usr/src/vim/.hg/hgrc from untrusted user bobh, group users
                > Not trusting file /usr/src/vim/.hg/hgrc from untrusted user bobh, group users
                > parent: 6142:4c08173b8b95 tip
                > Add files missing from 7.4.408.
                > branch: default
                > commit: 1 modified, 2 unknown
                > update: (current)
                >
                > BobH

                Sorry forgot to in include .hg/hgrc file -

                [paths]
                default = https://vim.googlecode.com/hg/

                BH

              • Ben Fritz
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 30, 2014
                  On Saturday, August 30, 2014 5:37:36 PM UTC-5, Bob Hyam wrote:

                  > > > What "hg summary" says?
                  > >
                  > > alpha:/usr/src/vim>root#hg summary
                  > > Not trusting file /usr/src/vim/.hg/hgrc from untrusted user bobh, group users
                  > > Not trusting file /usr/src/vim/.hg/hgrc from untrusted user bobh, group users
                  > > parent: 6142:4c08173b8b95 tip
                  > > Add files missing from 7.4.408.
                  > > branch: default
                  > > commit: 1 modified, 2 unknown
                  > > update: (current)
                  > >
                  > > BobH
                  >
                  > Sorry forgot to in include .hg/hgrc file -
                  >
                  > [paths]
                  > default = https://vim.googlecode.com/hg/
                  >
                  > BH

                  So it looks like you're having some sort of problem with hg. What is the output of "hg pull", and then "hg update", when you run them manually?

                • Andrei Olsen
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 31, 2014
                    On Sunday, August 31, 2014 12:33:21 AM UTC+2, Bob Hyam wrote:
                    > On Sa> >
                    > > > Sorry about that, Debian wheezy amd64. No errors seem to occur, it just remains the same version I started with. Does anyone know if this building creates a log file I could go through ? The screen updates pretty quickly so I can't say for sure there are no errors.
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks for answering, Bob H
                    > >
                    > > I run the latest 429 on Debian Wheezy as I write.
                    > >
                    > > Maybe you have several versions on your system. Did you try:
                    > > which -a vim
                    > >
                    > > Also, did you try to run your locally compiled file, that is in /usr/src/vim/src/ ?
                    > >
                    > > What "hg summary" says?
                    >
                    > alpha:/usr/src/vim>root#hg summary
                    > Not trusting file /usr/src/vim/.hg/hgrc from untrusted user bobh, group users
                    > Not trusting file /usr/src/vim/.hg/hgrc from untrusted user bobh, group users
                    > parent: 6142:4c08173b8b95 tip
                    > Add files missing from 7.4.408.
                    > branch: default
                    > commit: 1 modified, 2 unknown
                    > update: (current)
                    >
                    > BobH

                    Update field says you have the latest revision checked out and tip is rev 6142, which is not the latest, so "hg pull" must have failed somehow.

                    Run command manually and look for error messages.

                  • Andrei Olsen
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 31, 2014
                      On Sunday, August 31, 2014 12:37:36 AM UTC+2, Bob Hyam wrote:
                      > On Saturday, August 30, 2014 3:33:21 PM UTC-7, Bob Hyam wrote:
                      > > On Sa> >

                      > > > I run the latest 429 on Debian Wheezy as I write.
                      > > >
                      > > > Maybe you have several versions on your system. Did you try:
                      > > > which -a vim
                      > > >
                      > > > Also, did you try to run your locally compiled file, that is in /usr/src/vim/src/ ?
                      > > >
                      > > > What "hg summary" says?
                      > >
                      > > alpha:/usr/src/vim>root#hg summary
                      > > Not trusting file /usr/src/vim/.hg/hgrc from untrusted user bobh, group users
                      > > Not trusting file /usr/src/vim/.hg/hgrc from untrusted user bobh, group users
                      > > parent: 6142:4c08173b8b95 tip
                      > > Add files missing from 7.4.408.
                      > > branch: default
                      > > commit: 1 modified, 2 unknown
                      > > update: (current)
                      > >
                      > > BobH
                      >
                      > Sorry forgot to in include .hg/hgrc file -
                      >
                      > [paths]
                      > default = https://vim.googlecode.com/hg/
                      >
                      > BH

                      I suspect "hg pull" fails because .hgrc is owned by the different user other than the one that is running Mercurial.

                      You can change the ownership or see this:
                      http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/Trust

                    • Bob Hyam
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 31, 2014
                        On Sunday, August 31, 2014 5:42:24 AM UTC-7, Andrei Olsen wrote:
                        > On Sunday, August 31, 2014 12:37:36 AM UTC+2, Bob Hyam wrote:
                        > > On Saturday, August 30, 2014 3:33:21 PM UTC-7, Bob Hyam wrote:
                        > > > On Sa> >

                        > > > alpha:/usr/src/vim>root#hg summary
                        > > > Not trusting file /usr/src/vim/.hg/hgrc from untrusted user bobh, group users
                        > > > Not trusting file /usr/src/vim/.hg/hgrc from untrusted user bobh, group users
                        > > > parent: 6142:4c08173b8b95 tip
                        > > > Add files missing from 7.4.408.
                        > > > branch: default
                        > > > commit: 1 modified, 2 unknown
                        > > > update: (current)
                        > > >
                        > > > BobH
                        > >
                        > > Sorry forgot to in include .hg/hgrc file -
                        > >
                        > > [paths]
                        > > default = https://vim.googlecode.com/hg/
                        > >
                        > > BH
                        >
                        > I suspect "hg pull" fails because .hgrc is owned by the different user other than the one that is running Mercurial.
                        >
                        > You can change the ownership or see this:
                        > http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/Trust

                        Andrei - I appreciate your help, the info you gave me led me to do some experimenting. What I found was that I did not have $HOME/.hgrc file, so I created one ! It now seems to be OK. I am a bit confused, I didn't erase this file and as I said in the original post I've been using the same procedure for years.
                        Thanks again Bob.