Downloading Plugins

  • Robert Cressman
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 28 10:05 AM
      I have read several pages of articles/explanations/etc. on downloading plugins. Most involve Github.com. and provide the command to do so.

      As a novice, what I don't find, or understand, is where the "Git clone git://github.com/etc./etc." gets typed to accomplish this task. Is it in Vim, Git Bash, the command line of the system prompt??

      Any help would be appreciated. PLEASE remember, your explaining to a Vim novice who is struggling to comprehend all the "jargon" used by the experienced users!

      Bob

    • Nathan Schwarz
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 28 2:47 PM
        Oy mate,

        those commands are always typed on the command line of the system.
        *nix-OSes like linux and osx typcially provide bash as the standard
        shell.

        If you use windows you'll have to google or hope for another good soul
        to answer.

        Also - take a look at vundle (if it works in windows). It's a pretty
        darn neat tool that automatically downloads and updates your plugins for
        you.

        -Nathan

        --
        /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
        \ / - against HTML emails

        On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 10:05:50AM -0700, Robert Cressman wrote:
        > I have read several pages of articles/explanations/etc. on downloading plugins. Most involve Github.com. and provide the command to do so.
        >
        > As a novice, what I don't find, or understand, is where the "Git clone git://github.com/etc./etc." gets typed to accomplish this task. Is it in Vim, Git Bash, the command line of the system prompt??
        >
        > Any help would be appreciated. PLEASE remember, your explaining to a Vim novice who is struggling to comprehend all the "jargon" used by the experienced users!
        >
        > Bob

        > ---
      • tooth pik
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 28 3:11 PM
          On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 10:05:50AM -0700, Robert Cressman wrote:
          > I have read several pages of articles/explanations/etc. on downloading
          > plugins. Most involve Github.com. and provide the command to do so.

          > As a novice, what I don't find, or understand, is where the "Git clone
          > git://github.com/etc./etc." gets typed to accomplish this task. Is it
          > in Vim, Git Bash, the command line of the system prompt??

          > Any help would be appreciated. PLEASE remember, your explaining to a
          > Vim novice who is struggling to comprehend all the "jargon" used by
          > the experienced users!

          To a novice I would recommend they stay way from plugins entirely until
          they have a firm grasp of how vim works and are comfortable with it --
          plugins are a very common cause of unexpected and undocumented behavior,
          which gets harder to debug the more of them you have.

          Then, if there is some plugin you feel compelled to experiment with even
          after having been warned, the best place for novices to get plugins is
          from the vim site: http://www.vim.org, where, for the vast majority of
          plugins (where they are referred to as "scripts") installation is a
          simple matter of dropping the item on your ~/.vim path and unpacking it.

          If you still insist on cloning someone's git workspace, the git commands
          are for the system prompt, but you have been warned.

          --
          _|_ _ __|_|_ ._ o|
          |_(_)(_)|_| ||_)||<

        • Marcin Szamotulski
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 28 4:47 PM
            On 17:11 Thu 28 Aug , tooth pik wrote:
            > On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 10:05:50AM -0700, Robert Cressman wrote:
            > > I have read several pages of articles/explanations/etc. on downloading
            > > plugins. Most involve Github.com. and provide the command to do so.
            >
            > > As a novice, what I don't find, or understand, is where the "Git clone
            > > git://github.com/etc./etc." gets typed to accomplish this task. Is it
            > > in Vim, Git Bash, the command line of the system prompt??
            >
            > > Any help would be appreciated. PLEASE remember, your explaining to a
            > > Vim novice who is struggling to comprehend all the "jargon" used by
            > > the experienced users!
            >
            > To a novice I would recommend they stay way from plugins entirely until
            > they have a firm grasp of how vim works and are comfortable with it --
            > plugins are a very common cause of unexpected and undocumented behavior,
            > which gets harder to debug the more of them you have.
            >
            > Then, if there is some plugin you feel compelled to experiment with even
            > after having been warned, the best place for novices to get plugins is
            > from the vim site: http://www.vim.org, where, for the vast majority of
            > plugins (where they are referred to as "scripts") installation is a
            > simple matter of dropping the item on your ~/.vim path and unpacking it.
            >
            > If you still insist on cloning someone's git workspace, the git commands
            > are for the system prompt, but you have been warned.
            >
            > --
            > _|_ _ __|_|_ ._ o|
            > |_(_)(_)|_| ||_)||<

            The ~/.vim directory has a special structure that is good to know: for
            example filetype scripts are should be placed under ~/.vim/ftplugin,
            colorscheme scripts under ~/.vim/colors, plugins ~/.vim/plugin. You can
            read about them all from :help 'rtp'.

            A plugin distributed on vim.org/github/... might (and often has) files
            which land in all different parts of ~/.vim. For example documentation
            file should be put under ~/.vim/doc/, ... . Often it is enough to
            unpack tha gzip/tar/... in your ~/.vim directory; but it is good to
            check what is the directory structure of the downloaded archive.

            As for using git and grabbing plugins directly from github, this is
            quite ease, but requires from you first to install/understand pathogen
            plugin (and to know what :help 'rtp' is about) or vim addon manager
            (though setting it up might be more difficult for beginners).

            Remember that :help and :helpgrep are your first friends - after all
            everything is documented, well almost (for example that this ":::::ls"
            will work I think it isn't, though I might be wrong).

            Best regards,
            Marcin
          • Ethan Hereth
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 29 9:16 AM
              On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 5:47 PM, Nathan Schwarz <nathan@...> wrote:
              > Oy mate,
              >
              > those commands are always typed on the command line of the system.
              > *nix-OSes like linux and osx typcially provide bash as the standard
              > shell.
              >
              > If you use windows you'll have to google or hope for another good soul
              > to answer.
              >
              > Also - take a look at vundle (if it works in windows). It's a pretty
              > darn neat tool that automatically downloads and updates your plugins for
              > you.
              >
              > -Nathan
              >
              > --
              > /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
              > \ / - against HTML emails
              > X - against proprietory attachments
              > / \ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII_Ribbon_Campaign
              >
              > On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 10:05:50AM -0700, Robert Cressman wrote:
              >> I have read several pages of articles/explanations/etc. on downloading plugins. Most involve Github.com. and provide the command to do so.
              >>
              >> As a novice, what I don't find, or understand, is where the "Git clone git://github.com/etc./etc." gets typed to accomplish this task. Is it in Vim, Git Bash, the command line of the system prompt??
              >>
              >> Any help would be appreciated. PLEASE remember, your explaining to a Vim novice who is struggling to comprehend all the "jargon" used by the experienced users!
              >>
              >> Bob

              Bob,

              My 2 cents:

              I agree with tooth pik in that I think you might benefit, at least at
              first, by keeping it simple and just learning how to use vim by itself
              and learning how to configure it to your liking.

              Then, once you've become decently familiar with vim, look into custom
              plugins. I love and use many vim plugins; there are many out there
              that I find indispensable.

              To manage the plugins I personally use vundle and really like it. Once
              you've got Git installed you just have to 'git clone' once to install
              vundle and then vundle takes care of the rest for your. (It looks like
              you also need Curl for searching with vundle.) There are very nice
              instructions on vundle's github page, including setup on Windows.
              Note: I am not necessarily promoting vundle above any of the other
              popular plugin managers, it's just the one I use. Do your own research
              before you settle on your plugin manager. I am sure they all have
              their pros and cons.

              And, note that whenever you see a command like 'git clone ...' you do
              typically run that command from your system terminal/console. At least
              on systems like linux/osx. I am not in the least bit familiar with the
              windows os.

              Good luck, and welcome to vim!

              Ethan Alan

              >> --
              >> --
              >>
              >> ---

            • Robert Cressman
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 30 8:53 PM
                To all those who have answered my original message, THANK YOU!!

                I have been constantly reading and working with Vim, Git Bash, an several downloaded manuals. Things are starting to become clearer. I have given up for the time being on downloading any plugins, other than Vundle. I have learned how to "clone" them from github. I also followed a Youtube video on installation of Vundle.

                Vundle loaded where I think it should go (~/Vim/vim74/vimfiles/bundle. I put the necessary coding in my _vimrc. When I entered the command :PluginInstall on the command line, I get 2 errors (E116 & E684). Checking the log, I get the following info:

                [2014-08-30 20:21:43]
                [2014-08-30 20:21:43] Plugin gmarik/vundle.vim
                [2014-08-30 20:21:43] $ git clone --recursive "https://github.com/gmarik/vundle.vim.git" "C:\Users\Robert A. Cressman\.vim\bundle\vundle.vim"
                [2014-08-30 20:21:43] > 'git' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
                [2014-08-30 20:21:43] > operable program or batch file.
                [2014-08-30 20:21:43] >
                [2014-08-30 20:21:44]
                [2014-08-30 20:21:44] Helptags:
                [2014-08-30 20:21:44] Helptags: 0 plugins processed

                Appreciate any ideas, or comments!
                Bob
                p.s. I've been to several sites for assistance,and you guys are the only ones kind enough to answer! Thanks!!

              • 'Vanilla Ice' via vim_use
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 30 11:24 PM
                  You have to have 'git' in the path. You'll have to follow these steps with accuracy:

                  https://github.com/gmarik/Vundle.vim/wiki/Vundle-for-Windows

                • Robert Cressman
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 31 6:20 AM
                    On Saturday, August 30, 2014 11:24:04 PM UTC-7, Vanilla Ice wrote:
                    > You have to have 'git' in the path. You'll have to follow these steps with accuracy:
                    >
                    > https://github.com/gmarik/Vundle.vim/wiki/Vundle-for-Windows

                    I'll give it a read and try later today!
                    Thanks!
                    Bob

                  • Robert Cressman
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 31 8:07 AM
                      On Sunday, August 31, 2014 6:20:40 AM UTC-7, Robert Cressman wrote:
                      > On Saturday, August 30, 2014 11:24:04 PM UTC-7, Vanilla Ice wrote:
                      > > You have to have 'git' in the path. You'll have to follow these steps with accuracy:
                      > >
                      > > https://github.com/gmarik/Vundle.vim/wiki/Vundle-for-Windows
                      >
                      > I'll give it a read and try later today!
                      > Thanks!
                      > Bob

                      I re-read the article as suggested by Vanilla Ice and found a simple error in the "rtp" line. Vindle now works and all is good!! I will now go back to learning move about using Vim (which seems to be an amazing program!) Thanks to all!!

                    • Eric Weir
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 2, 2014
                        On Aug 28, 2014, at 7:47 PM, Marcin Szamotulski <mszamot@...> wrote:

                        > As for using git and grabbing plugins directly from github, this is
                        > quite ease, but requires from you first to install/understand pathogen
                        > plugin (and to know what :help 'rtp' is about) or vim addon manager
                        > (though setting it up might be more difficult for beginners).

                        I have found vundle to be far simpler and more reliable than pathogen or vim addon manager.

                        Eric Weir
                        Decatur, GA USA
                        eeweir@...

                        "...we are a form of invitation to others and to otherness..."

                        - David Whyte

                      • Eric Weir
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 2, 2014
                          On Aug 28, 2014, at 5:47 PM, Nathan Schwarz <nathan@...> wrote:

                          > Also - take a look at vundle (if it works in windows). It's a pretty
                          > darn neat tool that automatically downloads and updates your plugins for
                          > you.

                          Yep.

                          Eric Weir
                          Decatur, GA USA
                          eeweir@...

                          "...we are a form of invitation to others and to otherness..."

                          - David Whyte

                        • Robert A. Cressman