Shell returned 1 - always

  • sfx2k
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 7, 2014
      Hi there,

      I switched from Windows XP to Windows 7.

      The first thing I noticed was, that the Taglist-Plugin does not work any longer.
      I always got an error message that the tags could not be created.
      I found out, that the call of the system()-function always returns 1 - although there where no errors!

      The second thing is, that, when compiling a project, the call of make always returns 'shell returned 1' - but there were no errors.

      Any ideas?

    • sfx2k
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 7, 2014
        Am Donnerstag, 7. August 2014 11:27:00 UTC+2 schrieb sfx2k:
        > Hi there,
        >
        > I switched from Windows XP to Windows 7.
        >
        > The first thing I noticed was, that the Taglist-Plugin does not work any longer.
        > I always got an error message that the tags could not be created.
        > I found out, that the call of the system()-function always returns 1 - although there where no errors!
        >
        > The second thing is, that, when compiling a project, the call of make always returns 'shell returned 1' - but there were no errors.
        >
        > Any ideas?

        Ok, I got it.
        There was an invalid entry in

        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Command Processor\AutoRun

        Everytime the shell starts it tried to find the path but failed.
        Therefore the shell returns 1 - always....

      • Erik Falor
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 7, 2014
          On Thu, Aug 07, 2014 at 02:27:00AM -0700, sfx2k wrote:
          > Hi there,
          >
          > I switched from Windows XP to Windows 7.
          >
          > The first thing I noticed was, that the Taglist-Plugin does not work any longer.
          > I always got an error message that the tags could not be created.
          > I found out, that the call of the system()-function always returns 1 - although there where no errors!
          >
          > The second thing is, that, when compiling a project, the call of make always returns 'shell returned 1' - but there were no errors.
          >
          > Any ideas?

          I've noticed that Windows programs are really loose with their return
          codes. If you can run those commands from a cmd.exe shell yourself,
          try echoing %ERRORLEVEL% right after that command completes.

          I've found that some Windows commands don't update %ERRORLEVEL%,
          making it appear to return the same status as the previous command.

          I've also encountered some commands which *always* appear to fail
          ("help" being the only example that comes to mind).

          --
          Erik Falor
          Registered Linux User #445632 http://linuxcounter.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 7, 2014
            Am Donnerstag, 7. August 2014 21:47:28 UTC+2 schrieb ewfalor:
            > On Thu, Aug 07, 2014 at 02:27:00AM -0700, sfx2k wrote:
            >
            > > Hi there,
            >

            > > I switched from Windows XP to Windows 7.
            >

            > > The first thing I noticed was, that the Taglist-Plugin does not work any longer.
            >
            > > I always got an error message that the tags could not be created.
            >
            > > I found out, that the call of the system()-function always returns 1 - although there where no errors!
            >

            > > The second thing is, that, when compiling a project, the call of make always returns 'shell returned 1' - but there were no errors.
            >

            > > Any ideas?
            >

            > I've noticed that Windows programs are really loose with their return
            >
            > codes. If you can run those commands from a cmd.exe shell yourself,
            >
            > try echoing %ERRORLEVEL% right after that command completes.
            >

            > I've found that some Windows commands don't update %ERRORLEVEL%,
            >
            > making it appear to return the same status as the previous command.
            >

            > I've also encountered some commands which *always* appear to fail
            >
            > ("help" being the only example that comes to mind).
            >

            > --
            >
            > Erik Falor
            >
            > Registered Linux User #445632 http://linuxcounter.net

            See the solution above ;)