keyboard shortcuts to cut, copy & paste ????

  • Francis (Grizzly) Smit
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2014
      I sometimes want to paste with a keyboard short cut but obviously ^V
      doesn't work, in GVim cut copy and paste are available on the tool bar,
      what keyboard short cuts are there to do this ?? I cannot find it in help

      --

      .~. In my life God comes first....
      /V\ but Linux is pretty high after that :-D

    • Tim Chase
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2014
        On 2014-08-05 09:37, Francis (Grizzly) Smit wrote:
        > I sometimes want to paste with a keyboard short cut but obviously
        > ^V doesn't work, in GVim cut copy and paste are available on the
        > tool bar, what keyboard short cuts are there to do this ?? I cannot
        > find it in help

        The system clipboard(s) can be accessed via the "+" and "*"
        registers. On Win32, they're the same. In X, the "+" register is
        the clipboard register (what's usually accessed with control+[VCX]
        for copy/paste) and "*" is the selection register (usually populated
        by selecting text, and pasted using the middle mouse button). Thus,
        you can use

        "+d{motion}

        to "cut" whatever {motion} covers, or you can visually select what
        you want, then use

        "+d

        to cut it. You can also do the same with pasting:

        "+p

        which you can read about at

        :help registers

        -tim

      • Gary Johnson
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4, 2014
          On 2014-08-05, Francis (Grizzly) Smit wrote:
          > I sometimes want to paste with a keyboard short cut but obviously ^V
          > doesn't work, in GVim cut copy and paste are available on the tool
          > bar, what keyboard short cuts are there to do this ?? I cannot find
          > it in help

          For "cut, copy and paste," Vim uses the terms "delete, yank and
          put". That may help you find the right topics in the help system.
          You can find an overview of those concepts here in the User Manual:

          :help 04.6
          :help 04.7

          and in more detail here in the Reference Manual:

          :help deleting
          :help copy-move

          HTH,
          Gary

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 4, 2014
            On 05/08/14 01:37, Francis (Grizzly) Smit wrote:
            > I sometimes want to paste with a keyboard short cut but obviously ^V
            > doesn't work, in GVim cut copy and paste are available on the tool bar,
            > what keyboard short cuts are there to do this ?? I cannot find it in help

            As others have already told you, e Vim names for "cut","copy" and
            "paste" are "delete", "yank" and "put" respectively, and the clipboard
            is accessed as the + and * registers; As already said, on Windows both
            are the same; on X the + register is what Edit→Copy, Edit→Cut and
            Edit→Paste (in gvim and in other programs used) while the * register is
            what most other programs use for select and MiddleMouse.

            I'll add that:
            1) If you had looked at the gvim menus, you would have found near the
            right margin the equivalent keyboard command; they are however slightly
            different if you aren't in Normal mode;
            2) each of Delete, Yank and Put exist as both a Normal-mode command
            (which can be preceded by a register and followed by a movement or
            object, and can be characterwise, linewise or blockwise) and as an
            ex-command (which can be preceded by a range and is always linewise).

            Examples:

            :$-5,$d +
            cut the last 6 lines into the clipboard
            :$put +
            paste after the last line
            :0put +
            paste before the first line
            5:y +
            which Vim changes into
            :.,.+4y +
            copy the current line and the 4 lines after it (for a total of 5)
            "+dd
            cut the current line to the clipboard
            "+diw
            cut the current word (without the surrounding space)
            "+ya"
            copy the current quoted string (with its quotes, and the space on one side)
            "+p
            paste after the cursor
            "+P
            paste before the cursor

            etc.

            For more details, see

            :help "*
            :help "+
            :help p
            :help P
            :help y
            :help d
            :help :put
            :help :yank
            :help :delete
            :help [range]
            :help motion.txt
            etc.

            138. You develop a liking for cold coffee.