converting encoding data easily

  • Ni Va
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4, 2014

      I am under a buffer that has utf-8 on encoding or fileencoding vars.

      I have the following content :

      &
      True
      "

      I would like to replace those known characters by utf-8 correponding chars and available for display and reading.

      Thank you

    • glts
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4, 2014
        Hey,

        On Monday, August 4, 2014 5:30:09 PM UTC+2, Ni Va wrote:
        > I am under a buffer that has utf-8 on encoding or fileencoding vars.
        >

        > I have the following content :
        >
        > &
        > True
        > "
        >

        > I would like to replace those known characters by utf-8 correponding chars and available for display and reading.

        sounds like you're asking about HTML encoding and decoding.

        The unimpaired.vim plugin provides operators '[x' and ']x' to encode and
        decode XML and HTML entities:

        With unimpaired.vim you can do 'gg]xG' to decode the entire buffer.

        Note that entities look like this: '&xxxx;'. The examples you gave are
        actually ill-formed: they are missing the semicolon.

        --
        David

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4, 2014
          On 04/08/14 21:35, glts wrote:
          > Hey,
          >
          > On Monday, August 4, 2014 5:30:09 PM UTC+2, Ni Va wrote:
          >> I am under a buffer that has utf-8 on encoding or fileencoding vars.
          >>

          >> I have the following content :
          >>
          >> &
          >> True
          >> "
          >>

          >> I would like to replace those known characters by utf-8 correponding chars and available for display and reading.
          >
          > sounds like you're asking about HTML encoding and decoding.
          >
          > The unimpaired.vim plugin provides operators '[x' and ']x' to encode and
          > decode XML and HTML entities:

          > With unimpaired.vim you can do 'gg]xG' to decode the entire buffer.
          >
          > Note that entities look like this: '&xxxx;'. The examples you gave are
          > actually ill-formed: they are missing the semicolon.

          Also, in XML (and in XML-derived languages including XUL and IIUC XHTML)
          additional entities can be defined by additional user-defined DTDs. They
          are also bounded by a header ampersand and a trailer semicolon. I don't
          know the details but I suppose they are found somewhere on the W3C site.

          Never drink from your finger bowl -- it contains only water.