vim crashes when saving buffer

  • JomarBueyes
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 17, 2014
      Hi,

      I'm using vim (version 7.3) under X11 and Mac OS X 10.7.5. Often, when I'm editing two files in split windows, saving one of them (i.e. a simple :w) causes vim to crash with the following error messages:
      --
      Vim: Caught deadly signal SEGV
      Vim: preserving files...

      Vim: Finished.

      Segmentation fault
      ---
      This usually, but not exclusively, happens when both buffers have changes that have not been saved to the corresponding file.

      Is this a known bug? Is there a patch or setup to avoid it?

      Thank you in advance for any help,

      Jomar

    • John Little
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 17, 2014
        On Friday, July 18, 2014 5:13:31 AM UTC+12, JomarBueyes wrote:
        > I'm using vim (version 7.3) ... Often ... vim ... crash

        If that's vim 7.3.0, there's been over a thousand patches to vim since then. IIRC 7.3.0 had a few crashes fixed soon after release, but I doubt it would be worth anyone's time trying to track down which fix applies to you.

        I suggest you check out macvim, https://code.google.com/p/macvim/, and its list,http://groups.google.com/group/vim_mac

        Regards, John Little

      • JomarBueyes
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 25, 2014
          On Thursday, July 17, 2014 8:30:36 PM UTC-4, John Little wrote:
          > On Friday, July 18, 2014 5:13:31 AM UTC+12, JomarBueyes wrote:
          > > I'm using vim (version 7.3) ... Often ... vim ... crash
          >
          > If that's vim 7.3.0, there's been over a thousand patches to vim since then. IIRC 7.3.0 had a few crashes fixed soon after release, but I doubt it would be worth anyone's time trying to track down which fix applies to you.
          >
          > I suggest you check out macvim, https://code.google.com/p/macvim/, and its list,http://groups.google.com/group/vim_mac
          >
          > Regards, John Little

          Hi John,

          Thank you for your response. I was afraid of that solution. But I think there's no choice but to bite the bullet.

          Thanks again,

          Jomar

        • Christian Brabandt
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 31, 2014
            On Do, 17 Jul 2014, JomarBueyes wrote:

            > I'm using vim (version 7.3) under X11 and Mac OS X 10.7.5. Often, when I'm editing two files in split windows, saving one of them (i.e. a simple :w) causes vim to crash with the following error messages:

            Whenever something like this happens, you should run gvim under gdb and
            when the SEGV happened again, provide us with a stacktrace (bt in the
            gdb prompt).
            Without that, we won't have any clue why this happens or how to fix it.

            Best,
            Christian
            --
            Reggärung:
            Staatsform in Jamaica. Mitglieder werden bei einem Ska-Tournier