autosaving buffer content

  • Arup Rakshit
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 12 10:53 AM

      I am looking for a way, suppose I am working on 4 different windows. Whenever I
      will move from one window to another window, that data to that window should
      be saved to the associated file. Is this possible ?

      --
      ================
      Regards,

      --Brian Kernighan

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 12 12:43 PM
        On So, 13 Jul 2014, Arup Rakshit wrote:

        > I am looking for a way, suppose I am working on 4 different windows.
        > Whenever I will move from one window to another window, that data to
        > that window should be saved to the associated file. Is this possible ?

        Sounds like you are looking for an autocommand. Do you know, what
        command you need? Look at :h save-file. Then look at the available
        autocommands. :h autocmd-events

        This should get you started. If not, please say exactly what you tried,
        what you expected and what happened.

        Best,
        Christian
        --
        Man wird alt, wenn man spürt, daß die Neugierde nachlässt.
        -- Andre Siegfried

      • Salman Halim
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 12 3:16 PM
          On Saturday, July 12, 2014, Arup Rakshit <aruprakshit@...> wrote:
          Hi,

          I am looking for a way, suppose I am working on 4 different windows. Whenever I
          will move from one window to another window, that data to that window should
          be saved to the associated file. Is this possible ?

          au WinLeave * upd

          Salman

          --
          Salman

          I, too, shall make something and glory in the making.

        • Arup Rakshit
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 14 9:22 AM
            On Saturday, July 12, 2014 06:16:52 PM Salman Halim wrote:
            > On Saturday, July 12, 2014, Arup Rakshit <aruprakshit@...> wrote:
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > I am looking for a way, suppose I am working on 4 different windows.
            > > Whenever I
            > > will move from one window to another window, that data to that window
            > > should
            > > be saved to the associated file. Is this possible ?
            >
            > au WinLeave * upd
            >
            > Salman

            I put in my ~/.vimrc file

            au FocusLost * wa

            But it is not working. When ever I am opening Gvim getting error :-

            arup@linux-wzza:~/Ruby> gvim

            --- Auto-Commands ---
            arup@linux-wzza:~/Ruby>

            --
            ================
            Regards,
            Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore,
            if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not
            smart enough to debug it.

            --Brian Kernighan

          • Marcin Szamotulski
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 20 2:33 AM
              On 22:52 Mon 14 Jul , Arup Rakshit wrote:
              > On Saturday, July 12, 2014 06:16:52 PM Salman Halim wrote:
              > > On Saturday, July 12, 2014, Arup Rakshit <aruprakshit@...> wrote:
              > > > Hi,
              > > >
              > > > I am looking for a way, suppose I am working on 4 different windows.
              > > > Whenever I
              > > > will move from one window to another window, that data to that window
              > > > should
              > > > be saved to the associated file. Is this possible ?
              > >
              > > au WinLeave * upd
              > >
              > > Salman
              >
              > I put in my ~/.vimrc file
              >
              > au FocusLost * wa
              >
              > But it is not working. When ever I am opening Gvim getting error :-
              >
              > arup@linux-wzza:~/Ruby> gvim
              >
              > --- Auto-Commands ---
              > arup@linux-wzza:~/Ruby>
              >

              > --
              > ================
              > Regards,
              > Arup Rakshit
              > ================
              > Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore,
              > if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not
              > smart enough to debug it.
              >
              > --Brian Kernighan

              The `FocusLost` autocommand group is for the vim window itself (as
              managed by your window manager) rather than vim windows (the ones that
              holds buffers, you can get a new one with the :split command). As noted
              in one of the previous messages the `WinLeave` autocommand group will
              work for you.

              Best regards,
              Marcin Szamotulski