vim productivity plugin

  • Felix Dietze
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30 5:04 PM
      Hi,

      is there a plugins that gives you hints on how to improve your vim usage?

      If for example I'm pressing "lllll" the plugin would suggest me to make more use of "e,w,E,W".
      If I'm pressing "|i" the suggestion would be to use "I" instead.

      I'm thinking about writing one, but wanted to check here first if something like this exists already.

      Of course any thougts on this are welcome.

      Felix

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 30 6:53 PM
        On 01/07/14 02:04, Felix Dietze wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > is there a plugins that gives you hints on how to improve your vim usage?
        >
        > If for example I'm pressing "lllll" the plugin would suggest me to make more use of "e,w,E,W".
        > If I'm pressing "|i" the suggestion would be to use "I" instead.
        >
        > I'm thinking about writing one, but wanted to check here first if something like this exists already.
        >
        > Of course any thougts on this are welcome.
        >
        > Felix

        Have you run the tutor? If not, do it.

        The idea is to get the right customs into your reflexes rather than pop
        up annoying messages which get on your nerves and also _worsen_ your
        productivity every time you don't do "as the master said".

        Indeed, there are often many ways to obtain a given result in Vim, and
        usually none of them can be said to be "the best for everyone every
        time" to the exclusion of all other ways to get the same result.

        Matter in point: some users will bash you no end for using ←↓↑→ when
        "the Vim way", they say, means never using them, and always using only
        hjkl instead. Others say that since Vim supports the arrow keys, you may
        use them if you want to (and your keyboard provides them). I'm not
        saying on which side of that fence I stand but maybe you can guess it.

        123. You ask the car dealer to install an extra cigarette lighter
        on your new car to power your notebook.

      • Felix Dietze
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2014
          Am Dienstag, 1. Juli 2014 03:53:19 UTC+2 schrieb Tony Mechelynck:
          > On 01/07/14 02:04, Felix Dietze wrote:
          >
          > > Hi,
          >

          > > is there a plugins that gives you hints on how to improve your vim usage?
          >

          > > If for example I'm pressing "lllll" the plugin would suggest me to make more use of "e,w,E,W".
          >
          > > If I'm pressing "|i" the suggestion would be to use "I" instead.
          >

          > > I'm thinking about writing one, but wanted to check here first if something like this exists already.
          >

          > > Of course any thougts on this are welcome.
          >

          > > Felix
          >

          > Have you run the tutor? If not, do it.

          Yes I did. This was actually my starting point. I've been using vim for almost a year now.

          > The idea is to get the right customs into your reflexes rather than pop
          >
          > up annoying messages which get on your nerves and also _worsen_ your
          >
          > productivity every time you don't do "as the master said".
          >

          > Indeed, there are often many ways to obtain a given result in Vim, and
          >
          > usually none of them can be said to be "the best for everyone every
          >
          > time" to the exclusion of all other ways to get the same result.
          >

          > Matter in point: some users will bash you no end for using ←↓↑→ when
          >
          > "the Vim way", they say, means never using them, and always using only
          >
          > hjkl instead. Others say that since Vim supports the arrow keys, you may
          >
          > use them if you want to (and your keyboard provides them). I'm not
          >
          > saying on which side of that fence I stand but maybe you can guess it.

          You are right, such a plugin could get on your nerves when used too often. My motivation came from the fact that I liked when people seeing me editing in vim and gave me hints on how I could do things easier. This is how I found out about the 's' and '.' commands for example.

          I personally don't like HJKL, because I'm writing with the NEO Keyboard layout, which has built in arrow keys in the home row already. ;)

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2014
            On 01/07/14 12:06, Felix Dietze wrote:
            > Am Dienstag, 1. Juli 2014 03:53:19 UTC+2 schrieb Tony Mechelynck:
            >> On 01/07/14 02:04, Felix Dietze wrote:
            >>
            >>> Hi,
            >>

            >>> is there a plugins that gives you hints on how to improve your vim usage?
            >>

            >>> If for example I'm pressing "lllll" the plugin would suggest me to make more use of "e,w,E,W".
            >>
            >>> If I'm pressing "|i" the suggestion would be to use "I" instead.
            >>

            >>> I'm thinking about writing one, but wanted to check here first if something like this exists already.
            >>

            >>> Of course any thougts on this are welcome.
            >>

            >>> Felix
            >>

            >> Have you run the tutor? If not, do it.
            >
            > Yes I did. This was actually my starting point. I've been using vim for almost a year now.
            >

            >> The idea is to get the right customs into your reflexes rather than pop
            >>
            >> up annoying messages which get on your nerves and also _worsen_ your
            >>
            >> productivity every time you don't do "as the master said".
            >>

            >> Indeed, there are often many ways to obtain a given result in Vim, and
            >>
            >> usually none of them can be said to be "the best for everyone every
            >>
            >> time" to the exclusion of all other ways to get the same result.
            >>

            >> Matter in point: some users will bash you no end for using ←↓↑→ when
            >>
            >> "the Vim way", they say, means never using them, and always using only
            >>
            >> hjkl instead. Others say that since Vim supports the arrow keys, you may
            >>
            >> use them if you want to (and your keyboard provides them). I'm not
            >>
            >> saying on which side of that fence I stand but maybe you can guess it.
            >>

            > You are right, such a plugin could get on your nerves when used too often. My motivation came from the fact that I liked when people seeing me editing in vim and gave me hints on how I could do things easier. This is how I found out about the 's' and '.' commands for example.
            >
            > I personally don't like HJKL, because I'm writing with the NEO Keyboard layout, which has built in arrow keys in the home row already. ;)
            >

            >> Best regards,
            >>
            >> Tony.
            >>
            >> --
            >>
            >> hundred-and-one symptoms of being an internet addict:
            >>
            >> 123. You ask the car dealer to install an extra cigarette lighter
            >>
            >> on your new car to power your notebook.

            Anything you use is OK by me, if it does the job you want done. If it
            does the job but isn't easy enough, then it's time to search the help
            for alternative ways, see ":help helphelp" (without the quotes of
            course). You may even read the help like one reads an encyclopedia
            (start anywhere, follow some interesting-looking hotlink, and continue
            from there; but first make sure your homework is done and you have time
            before supper, bedtime, or your next appointment, because you know where
            you start but you don't know where it'll take you ;-) ).

            My third recommendation (after the tutor and the help) is to subscribe
            to these lists (at least vim_use, and possibly also vim_mac if you're on
            a Mac) and read them, even posts whose titles don't look germane to the
            problems you have at hand. They might be relevant for problems you'll
            have in the future.

            And finally, if after searching the help you don't find what you need,
            come here with a precise question (including usecase and example, as in
            "I have this and I want to make it that"). If you describe it well
            enough, people will jump to help you, and at times you'll be surprised
            at the variety of solutions you get.

            "When I told the people of Northern Ireland that I was an atheist, a
            woman in the audience stood up and said, "Yes, but is it the God of
            the Catholics or the God of the Protestants in whom you don't believe?"
            [Quentin Crisp]

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 1, 2014
              On 01/07/14 12:06, Felix Dietze wrote:
              > I personally don't like HJKL, because I'm writing with the NEO Keyboard layout, which has built in arrow keys in the home row already. ;)

              P.S. (This is unrelated to my post of a few minutes ago.)
              Just a remainder: in Vim, case is important: in the Vim help, H J K L
              mean Shift-h Shift-j Shift-k Shift-l respectively. I suppose this is
              because Vim comes from the Unix world, where case is significant: e.g.
              to make a new directory on Unix (or Linux or Mac OSX), you would use the
              command mkdir, not MkDir or MKDIR.

              Do something big -- fuck a giant.

            • Paul
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 9, 2014
                On Tuesday, 01 July, 2014 at 01:04:45 BST, Felix Dietze wrote:
                >is there a plugins that gives you hints on how to improve your vim usage?
                >
                >If for example I'm pressing "lllll" the plugin would suggest me to make more use of "e,w,E,W".
                >If I'm pressing "|i" the suggestion would be to use "I" instead.
                >
                >I'm thinking about writing one, but wanted to check here first if something like this exists already.
                >
                >Of course any thougts on this are welcome.

                I don't know of such a plugin, but I'd surely use one. I'd suggest using a live updating non-intrusive window that would log suggestions on the fly (quickfix?), so the user isn't interrupted with suggestions whilst typing.