Keep consistent vim environments across different platforms

  • DwigtArmyOfChampions
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2, 2014
      I have Vim installed on my work PC on a remote Linux server, and I have gVim installed on Windows on my work PC, and I have gVim installed on my home PC, and I have macvim on my laptop. I want all of these different instances of Vim to use the same environment and plugins and vimrc's. I want to set up a standard Vim environment so I can easily download everything to all my computers, and I also want to easily copy changes back up so I can make changes easily. What is an easy way to do this?

    • Rajarajan Rajamani
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2014
        Keep your .vimrc on github. Have all your plugins installed/managed via Vundle. Then all you need to have your personalized vim setup on any machine is to git clone your .vimrc and fire Vundle via BundleInstall to setup all your plugins.

        On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 9:46 PM, DwigtArmyOfChampions <dwightarmyofchampions@...> wrote:
        I have Vim installed on my work PC on a remote Linux server, and I have gVim installed on Windows on my work PC, and I have gVim installed on my home PC, and I have macvim on my laptop. I want all of these different instances of Vim to use the same environment and plugins and vimrc's. I want to set up a standard Vim environment so I can easily download everything to all my computers, and I also want to easily copy changes back up so I can make changes easily. What is an easy way to do this?

      • Павлов Николай Алекса

        • Gary Johnson
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 2, 2014
            On 2014-06-02, DwigtArmyOfChampions wrote:
            > I have Vim installed on my work PC on a remote Linux server, and I
            > have gVim installed on Windows on my work PC, and I have gVim
            > installed on my home PC, and I have macvim on my laptop. I want
            > all of these different instances of Vim to use the same
            > environment and plugins and vimrc's. I want to set up a standard
            > Vim environment so I can easily download everything to all my
            > computers, and I also want to easily copy changes back up so I can
            > make changes easily. What is an easy way to do this?

            The easiest way is to use Dropbox. Then just create the appropriate
            type of link for your OS from your Dropbox/vimfiles directory to
            ~/.vim or ~/vimfiles. Any file changed on any of your installations
            automatically appears in every other installation with no
            intervention on your part. This can be a disadvantage as well as an
            advantage, but it works well for me.

            I also use Unison and a cron job to run it periodically on some
            machines on which I can't run Dropbox.

            This does not provide version control as using a VCS everywhere
            would, but I like not having to think about whether I need to check
            for updates. Also, because changes are distributed almost
            immediately, I hardly ever have to merge changes made to different
            installations.

            Regards,
            Gary

          • Alessandro Antonello
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 16, 2014
              I have a MacBook, a Windows 7 box and an old Windows XP with softwares that I must keep, for support reasons. I had a Linux box too, but I don't longer have it. In all machines I use the same Vim/gVim configuration, plugins, syntax, indentation, etc, etc, etc. This is a long answer so...

              First, I have a HOME environment variable in all machines. For Mac and Linux this is natural but on Windows you must do it your self. In my two Windows boxes I install Cygwin providing me with a much better shell than the original cmd. So my HOME environment in those Windows points to my user directory in Cygwin installation. So I put put my '.vim' folder in the HOME directory as usually its done on Mac or Linux. This means that even Cygwin Vim will work with the same configuration as Windows Vim.

              On Windows, if Vim doesn't find a '_vimrc' file it will look for a '.vimrc' file. That was easy but the trick part is that it will not set the 'runtimepath' option with the '.vim' folder. It will stick with 'vimfiles' folder. So I work around that by moving '.vimrc' and '.gvimrc' inside '.vim' directory renaming it just 'vimrc' and 'gvimrc'. In my HOME directory the '.vimrc' file have this content in all machines:

              if has('win32')
                let &runtimepath=substitute(&runtimepath, 'vimfiles', '.vim', 'g')
              endif
              runtime vimrc

              And the '.gvimrc' in the root of my HOME directory has only:

              runtime gvimrc

              To keep the '.vim' directory in sync with all my machines I use git. I don't use plugin managers because I usually made some changes in the plugins I get. Is really rare I get a plugin and don't change anything so I prefer manual installations. But you can still use the plugin manager you like most removing the directories and files from git versioning with the help of '.gitignore' file.

              I used Dropbox once. Its a more complicated setup since you cannot just sync the '.vim' folder you have. You must copy the '.vim' folder inside the 'Dropbox' folder and that make things not working well. I had the idea using 'rsync' to keep the '.vim' folder in sync with 'Dropbox/.vim' folder but had problems with timestamps on both Windows machines. After loosing some changes I moved to git. Now I can safely test a new plugin, by opening a new branch with git. If that plugin doesn't work as I thought it would I simply checkout back the previous branch and everything works just fine.

              Wish I help.

              Regards.

              I have Vim installed on my work PC on a remote Linux server, and I have gVim installed on Windows on my work PC, and I have gVim installed on my home PC, and I have macvim on my laptop. I want all of these different instances of Vim to use the same environment and plugins and vimrc's. I want to set up a standard Vim environment so I can easily download everything to all my computers, and I also want to easily copy changes back up so I can make changes easily. What is an easy way to do this?

            • Conner McDaniel
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 16, 2014
                Dropbox can actually be quite simple if you use symbolic links. Just
                move the desired folders into Dropbox (or Dropbox look-a-like) and then
                make symbolic links to the directories in your $HOME directory on each
                machine.

                - Conner

              • Alessandro Antonello
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 17, 2014
                  Symbolic links doesn't work on Windows. Unless you know Junction (sysinternals). Even that, it is not the same. Git has a plenty of advantages over Dropbox. Like I said, you can start a new branch, test some new feature on one platform, sync that branch in another platform and, if something goes wrong you just checkout the previous version and everything is Ok.

                  I like this approach because what happened to me. I usually work on Mac. But then I had to open my Windows box to fix a bug in an application really quickly. I sync my '.vim' directory and bang! That plugin that I was using for days on Mac doesn't work on Windows because of some missing dependency. With Dropbox I would have to remember what I changed and roll back it or fix the missing dependency just to use Vim. With Git I just checked out a previous branch and everything was fine. I could work first and fix the missing dependency later.

                  Best regards.

                  dwightarmyofchampions@hotmail.com>:

                  I have Vim installed on my work PC on a remote Linux server, and I have
                  gVim installed on Windows on my work PC, and I have gVim installed on my
                  home PC, and I have macvim on my laptop. I want all of these different
                  instances of Vim to use the same environment and plugins and vimrc's. I
                  want to set up a standard Vim environment so I can easily download
                  everything to all my computers, and I also want to easily copy changes back
                  up so I can make changes easily. What is an easy way to do this?

                • Ben Fritz
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 17, 2014
                    On Tuesday, June 17, 2014 8:28:19 AM UTC-5, Alessandro Antonello wrote:
                    > Symbolic links doesn't work on Windows.

                    Why do you say that? NTFS supports symbolic links, and modern Windows systems provide the "mklink" command:

                    C:\Users\btfritz>mklink /?
                    Creates a symbolic link.

                    MKLINK [[/D] | [/H] | [/J]] Link Target

                    /D Creates a directory symbolic link. Default is a file
                    symbolic link.
                    /H Creates a hard link instead of a symbolic link.
                    /J Creates a Directory Junction.
                    Link specifies the new symbolic link name.
                    Target specifies the path (relative or absolute) that the new link
                    refers to.

                  • Alessandro Antonello
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 19, 2014
                      Yes, you are right, modern Windows systems does support symbolic links. Unfortunately I have a WinXP to keep in sync. It is NTFS so I installed junction (SysInternals) with provides me symbolic links.

                      Best regards.