Vim with +python support

  • Ole Hansen
    Message 1 of 6 , May 13 6:54 AM

      I was trying to install python and vim +python support. I successfully installed python 2.7 and if I go into my gvim ":echo has('python')" returns 1.

      But if I open my command line vim (which I use primarily) of the same installation, ":echo has('python')" returns 0.
      Is there any known way around this?

      Greetings,
      Ole

    • David Fishburn
      Message 2 of 6 , May 13 5:18 PM

        On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 9:54 AM, Ole Hansen <olehansen89@...> wrote:
        Hi,

        I was trying to install python and vim +python support. I successfully installed python 2.7 and if I go into my gvim ":echo has('python')" returns 1.

        But if I open my command line vim (which I use primarily) of the same installation, ":echo has('python')" returns 0.
        Is there any known way around this?

        When you type :ver what do you see with regards to python in the output between gVim and console Vim?

        David

      • Gary Johnson
        Message 3 of 6 , May 13 5:27 PM
          On 2014-05-13, Ole Hansen wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I was trying to install python and vim +python support. I
          > successfully installed python 2.7 and if I go into my gvim ":echo
          > has('python')" returns 1.
          >
          > But if I open my command line vim (which I use primarily) of the
          > same installation, ":echo has('python')" returns 0.
          > Is there any known way around this?

          This sounds like your vim and your gvim are different binaries.
          I've enabled python in my Linux installation (i.e., "./configure
          --enable-pythoninterp=yes") and ":echo has('python')" returns 1 in
          both vim and gvim.

          We just need to figure out what's wrong with your installation.

          How did you install vim and gvim?

          What do the following show?

          $ ls -l $(which vim)
          $ ls -l $(which gvim)

          Regards,
          Gary

        • Ole Hansen
          Message 4 of 6 , May 13 11:21 PM
            I used the current stable Windows binary to install Vim 7.4.
            Both console and gvim have 'VIM - Vi IMproved 7.4 (2013 Aug 10, compiled Aug 10 2013 14:33:40)' in their :ver output.
            However the gvim version has +python/dyn and +python3/dyn and the console version has -python and -python3.
            I installed python 2.7 after I installed vim, but I tried a reinstall of vim afterwards.

          • David Fishburn
            Message 5 of 6 , May 14 7:57 AM

              On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 2:21 AM, Ole Hansen <olehansen89@...> wrote:
              I used the current stable Windows binary to install Vim 7.4.
              Both console and gvim have 'VIM - Vi IMproved 7.4 (2013 Aug 10, compiled Aug 10 2013 14:33:40)' in their :ver output.
              However the gvim version has +python/dyn and +python3/dyn and the console version has -python and -python3.
              I installed python 2.7 after I installed vim, but I tried a reinstall of vim afterwards.

              Looks like you need to find a Vim installation with python/dyn enabled for the console Vim as well.

              I had originally thought you were compiling your own Vim, but you answered that above.

              First, there have been over 250 bug fixes to Vim 7.4, so getting a more recently compiled Vim is a good thing.

              You can go here:

              And near the bottom of that page you will see:

              ----
              Vim Without Cream

              Windows Vim installers without Cream [ext.link]  : : Includes both GUI and console Vim versions. Note this does not include Vim's standard install.exe, we rely soley on the Nullsoft Installer.
              ----

              This version is often recommended to people who don't want to compile their own Vims.

              I am not certain if the consolve version of Vim included has +python, but it is a simple thing to check after installation.

              HTH,
              David

            • Ole Hansen
              Message 6 of 6 , May 15 3:26 AM