vim: portablity of backup files?

  • ping song
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 19, 2014
      I recently copied over a bunch of files to another machine and realized I missed all of the backup files (for persistent undo).

      I managed to find out the "backupdir" and copied them over also, still I can't undo, I think I use the same folder path on both machines...

      any thought?

      regards
      ping

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 21, 2014
        On Saturday, April 19, 2014 11:20:29 AM UTC-5, ping wrote:
        > I recently copied over a bunch of files to another machine and realized I missed all of the backup files (for persistent undo).
        >

        > I managed to find out the "backupdir" and copied them over also, still I can't undo, I think I use the same folder path on both machines...
        >

        > any thought?

        A few thoughts, actually:

        1. Why are you calling the undo files "backup files"? Those are two different things.
        2. Why do you think "backupdir" is for undo files? It isn't. That would be "undodir".
        3. Persistent undo really, really, REALLY isn't meant for syncing undo information between machines, login names, or users. You aren't trying to do that, right? If you are, you should STOP now and look into Mercurial or Git or even something like Subversion.

      • ping song
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 22, 2014
          oh yeah, that's right! thanks!
          ...except 3. :) -- I copied over the undodir and now I "inherited" all historical persist undo in the new machine for all files!
          - except for those I have changed again in local PC before copying over the undodir...