Going from linux vim to Macvim?

  • Andrei Kulakov
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 16, 2014

      I'll be using a macbook air fairly often, and I'm completely new to the
      Mac environment. I'm used to using Gvim in Ubuntu. The first thing
      I noticed is that I have two command keys on either side of space
      bar, and a control key tucked away on the left side. I'm really used
      to using ctrl key for shortcuts but I need it on both sides!

      I googled a bit for this but I haven't found a way to make Macvim
      remap all command key to control - other than manually defining
      mappings with <D-> . What's the best way to deal with this?

      The other issue is that when I :set macmeta , it seems to work
      for my custom meta mappings, but it doesn't work reliably for
      tabbar mappings that map meta-1 through 9 to buffers in
      tabbar. It seems to work a few times and then stops. No errors,
      either.

      Macvim also seems to have a limitation that disallows multiple
      modifier keys in the same mapping.

      Is it feasible to compile gtk vim in macos? What are the pro's
      and con's?

      Is there a guide for going from linux to macvim?

      thanks!

    • Phil Dobbin
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 16, 2014
        On 17/04/2014 03:52, Andrei Kulakov wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I'll be using a macbook air fairly often, and I'm completely new to the
        > Mac environment. I'm used to using Gvim in Ubuntu. The first thing
        > I noticed is that I have two command keys on either side of space
        > bar, and a control key tucked away on the left side. I'm really used
        > to using ctrl key for shortcuts but I need it on both sides!
        >
        > I googled a bit for this but I haven't found a way to make Macvim
        > remap all command key to control - other than manually defining
        > mappings with <D-> . What's the best way to deal with this?
        >
        > The other issue is that when I :set macmeta , it seems to work
        > for my custom meta mappings, but it doesn't work reliably for
        > tabbar mappings that map meta-1 through 9 to buffers in
        > tabbar. It seems to work a few times and then stops. No errors,
        > either.
        >
        > Macvim also seems to have a limitation that disallows multiple
        > modifier keys in the same mapping.
        >
        > Is it feasible to compile gtk vim in macos? What are the pro's
        > and con's?
        >
        > Is there a guide for going from linux to macvim?
        >
        > thanks!

        There is a MacVim mailing list that can probably help. They're very
        friendly & knowledgeable.

        Google for the URL.

        Cheers,

        Phil...

        --
        currently (ab)using
        CentOS 6.5, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora 19 & 20, OS X Snow Leopard,

      • Paolo Bolzoni
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 17, 2014
          Or you can setup an afternoon to install Linux?

          On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 5:32 AM, Phil Dobbin <phildobbin@...> wrote:
          > On 17/04/2014 03:52, Andrei Kulakov wrote:
          >
          >> Hi,
          >>
          >> I'll be using a macbook air fairly often, and I'm completely new to the
          >> Mac environment. I'm used to using Gvim in Ubuntu. The first thing
          >> I noticed is that I have two command keys on either side of space
          >> bar, and a control key tucked away on the left side. I'm really used
          >> to using ctrl key for shortcuts but I need it on both sides!
          >>
          >> I googled a bit for this but I haven't found a way to make Macvim
          >> remap all command key to control - other than manually defining
          >> mappings with <D-> . What's the best way to deal with this?
          >>
          >> The other issue is that when I :set macmeta , it seems to work
          >> for my custom meta mappings, but it doesn't work reliably for
          >> tabbar mappings that map meta-1 through 9 to buffers in
          >> tabbar. It seems to work a few times and then stops. No errors,
          >> either.
          >>
          >> Macvim also seems to have a limitation that disallows multiple
          >> modifier keys in the same mapping.
          >>
          >> Is it feasible to compile gtk vim in macos? What are the pro's
          >> and con's?
          >>
          >> Is there a guide for going from linux to macvim?
          >>
          >> thanks!
          >
          > There is a MacVim mailing list that can probably help. They're very
          > friendly & knowledgeable.
          >
          > Google for the URL.
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Phil...
          >
          > --
          > currently (ab)using
          > CentOS 6.5, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora 19 & 20, OS X Snow Leopard,
          > RHEL 7, Ubuntu Precise & Saucy
          > GnuGPG Key : http://phildobbin.org/publickey.asc
          > Based in London, UK

          > ---

        • eNG1Ne
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 17, 2014
            On Thursday, 17 April 2014 04:52:34 UTC+2, rainy wrote:

            > I'll be using a macbook air fairly often, and I'm completely new to the
            > Mac environment. I'm used to using Gvim in Ubuntu.

            I very much appreciate working with vim, but find trying to use it on a Mac pretty frustrating – even after years of fairly regular practice! having to learn extra shortcuts for keystrokes as basic as [ or { makes me wonder if Macs are intended for writing anything more challenging than an e-mail :-}

            Plus point, though: opening a file from the Finder points vim to the directory the file lives in, which is a lot better than Ubuntu's feeble default of opening everything in usr

            Good luck, anyway …

          • Andrew Stewart
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 17, 2014

              >> On 17/04/2014 03:52, Andrei Kulakov wrote:
              >>> I googled a bit for this but I haven't found a way to make Macvim
              >>> remap all command key to control - other than manually defining
              >>> mappings with <D-> . What's the best way to deal with this?

              If you want to do this for everything on your MacBook, not just MacVim, take a look at KeyRemap4MackBook:

              https://pqrs.org/macosx/keyremap4macbook/

              It's easy to configure and I've found it rock solid.

              Yours,
              Andy Stewart

            • Erik Falor
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 17, 2014
                On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 12:42:38AM -0700, eNG1Ne wrote:
                > Plus point, though: opening a file from the Finder points vim to the directory the file lives in, which is a lot better than Ubuntu's feeble default of opening everything in usr

                This behavior may have more to do with the setting of the 'autochdir'
                option than with the OS or file manager.

                :help 'autochdir'

                --
                Erik Falor
                Registered Linux User #445632 http://linuxcounter.net
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 17, 2014
                  Thanks! Will do..

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 17, 2014
                    So far, I like MacOS. I've already customized it to be more or less like my ubuntu setup,
                    just a few things left.. even the Vim mappings can be adapted if I simply change them
                    all to <D-> maps, I just felt there must be an easier way.

                    On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 3:39 AM, Paolo Bolzoni <paolo.bolzoni.brown@...> wrote:
                    Or you can setup an afternoon to install Linux?

                    On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 5:32 AM, Phil Dobbin <phildobbin@...> wrote:
                    > On 17/04/2014 03:52, Andrei Kulakov wrote:
                    >
                    >> Hi,
                    >>
                    >> I'll be using a macbook air fairly often, and I'm completely new to the
                    >> Mac environment. I'm used to using Gvim in Ubuntu. The first thing
                    >> I noticed is that I have two command keys on either side of space
                    >> bar, and a control key tucked away on the left side. I'm really used
                    >> to using ctrl key for shortcuts but I need it on both sides!
                    >>
                    >> I googled a bit for this but I haven't found a way to make Macvim
                    >> remap all command key to control - other than manually defining
                    >> mappings with <D-> . What's the best way to deal with this?
                    >>
                    >> The other issue is that when I :set macmeta , it seems to work
                    >> for my custom meta mappings, but it doesn't work reliably for
                    >> tabbar mappings that map meta-1 through 9 to buffers in
                    >> tabbar. It seems to work a few times and then stops. No errors,
                    >> either.
                    >>
                    >> Macvim also seems to have a limitation that disallows multiple
                    >> modifier keys in the same mapping.
                    >>
                    >> Is it feasible to compile gtk vim in macos? What are the pro's
                    >> and con's?
                    >>
                    >> Is there a guide for going from linux to macvim?
                    >>
                    >> thanks!
                    >
                    > There is a MacVim mailing list that can probably help. They're very
                    > friendly & knowledgeable.
                    >
                    > Google for the URL.
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    >
                    >   Phil...
                    >
                    > --
                    > currently (ab)using
                    > CentOS 6.5, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora 19 & 20, OS X Snow Leopard,
                    > RHEL 7, Ubuntu Precise & Saucy
                    > GnuGPG Key : http://phildobbin.org/publickey.asc
                    > Based in London, UK

                    > ---

                  • Andrei Kulakov
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 17, 2014
                      Both [ and { seem to work the same as in linux gvim for me..

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 17, 2014
                        My concern is that all of the Mac apps are set up with command key shortcuts.. I don't really want
                        to lose that, so I think it's much better to fix this up just for Vim and zsh; for zsh I already found
                        a way to do this using term2.

                        On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 3:44 AM, Andrew Stewart <boss@...> wrote:

                        >> On 17/04/2014 03:52, Andrei Kulakov wrote:
                        >>> I googled a bit for this but I haven't found a way to make Macvim
                        >>> remap all command key to control - other than manually defining
                        >>> mappings with <D-> . What's the best way to deal with this?

                        If you want to do this for everything on your MacBook, not just MacVim, take a look at KeyRemap4MackBook:

                        https://pqrs.org/macosx/keyremap4macbook/

                        It's easy to configure and I've found it rock solid.

                        Yours,
                        Andy Stewart

                      • Niels Grundtvig Nielsen
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 17, 2014
                          something I'll certainly follow up ‒ pity no-one on the Ubuntu forum ever suggested it :-}

                          On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 4:28 PM, Erik Falor <ewfalor@...> wrote:
                          On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 12:42:38AM -0700, eNG1Ne wrote:
                          > Plus point, though: opening a file from the Finder points vim to the directory the file lives in, which is a lot better than Ubuntu's feeble default of opening everything in usr

                          This behavior may have more to do with the setting of the 'autochdir'
                          option than with the OS or file manager.

                          :help 'autochdir'

                          --
                          Erik Falor
                          Registered Linux User #445632                  http://linuxcounter.net

                        • John Little
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 17, 2014
                            On Friday, April 18, 2014 6:26:12 AM UTC+12, eNG1Ne wrote:
                            > > Plus point, though: opening a file from the Finder points vim to the directory the file lives in, which is a lot better than Ubuntu's feeble default of opening everything in usr

                            Erik Falor replied:
                            > This behavior may have more to do with the setting of the 'autochdir'
                            > option than with the OS or file manager.

                            (To which I'll add, setting autochdir can be annoying, and in the past caused plugins to fail, though there was an effort to make plugins cope.)

                            eNG1Ne replied:

                            > something I'll certainly follow up ‒ pity no-one on the Ubuntu forum ever suggested it :-}

                            I looked into this, and I'm still looking. I was surprised to find that the "desktop entry specification" does not have a generic way to make the working directory that of the file you edit. I have edited my .desktop file to use the command

                            /usr/local/bin/gvim -f +"cd %:h" %F

                            I use KDE, and the way I got to this .desktop file was right-click a file to edit in dolphin -> Properties -> File Type Options -> click on gvim, Edit -> Application tab. (I'd previously had to edit this to make KDE use my local vim; the command entry does not honour my PATH, despite determined effort on my part, including setting it system-wide).

                            By editing the .desktop entry, KDE made a private copy of it in ~/.local/share/applications. Gnome should work the same way, and I presume other DEs like Unity or whatever Ubuntu has these days.

                            More generically, I've seen people suggest changing the command to

                            cd %d;command %F

                            and that works, but %d is deprecated and now undocumented. Also,

                            x="%f";cd "${x%/*}";command %F

                            works too, but the "desktop entry specification" says one should have only one of %f, %F, %u or %U appearing in the command, and that only once.

                            Ah, once the curiosity bug bites... I'll take this to my other favourite forum (kubuntuforums.net) though I expect some KDE forum might be better. Google shows there was some interest in extending the "desktop entry specification" by the KDE folks some years ago, though I couldn't find anything more about it, other than with KDE one can use environment variables in the working directory setting by using the Path[$e]= syntax.

                            Regards, John Little