Official Windows build recipe

  • echristopherson@...
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 11, 2014
      Hello, list!

      What's the procedure used to build the official Windows Vim and Gvim, including the installer?

      (I'm trying to troubleshoot some crashes in the newest official Windows build -- 2013.08.10 -- when viewing a certain file. I've succeeded in building from HEAD, and it doesn't have the bug; but I'd like to be able to match the official package in features and package what I have built.)

    • Marc Weber
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 11, 2014
        google: "wiki vim build windows" eg shows

        http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Build_Python-enabled_Vim_on_Windows_with_MinGW

        Marc Weber

      • Eric Christopherson
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 11, 2014
          Thanks, but I'm looking for the exact way the official binary is produced (or as close to it as I can get). I suppose that might be tangential to fixing the problem I found, however. I guess it would be really great if the Vim Windows team just released a new binary installer that fixed my bug.

          Does this list allow the posting of text attachments?

          On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 2:12 PM, Marc Weber <marco-oweber@...> wrote:
          google: "wiki vim build windows" eg shows

            http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Build_Python-enabled_Vim_on_Windows_with_MinGW

          Marc Weber

        • Ben Fritz
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 13, 2014
            On Friday, April 11, 2014 2:50:59 PM UTC-5, Eric Christopherson wrote:
            > Thanks, but I'm looking for the exact way the official binary is produced (or as close to it as I can get). I suppose that might be tangential to fixing the problem I found, however. I guess it would be really great if the Vim Windows team just released a new binary installer that fixed my bug.

            I know Bram builds with some version of Visual Studio, using the makefile distributed with Vim. You can look at the features list in the :version output to see what he compiled with. If you do that, your executable at least will have all the same features. To get it to install like the official installer, you can run the install.exe file created when you compile Vim. See http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Building_Vim#Building_Vim_on_Windows for a little more detail.

            I don't know how the official graphical installer is created, but for your own personal use it shouldn't really be needed.

            > Does this list allow the posting of text attachments?

            Sure, as long as they aren't HUGE. And text is much preferred to Word docs, PDFs, uncompressed images, etc. Just don't be rude. Thanks for asking!