Can vim use 24 bit colorscheme in terminal?

  • Григорий Третьяков
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 17, 2014
      Hello.

      There is a terminal emulators that can use truecolor (24 bit), for example konsole, and I wonder can vim use gui colorschemes in terminal?

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 19, 2014
        On Mo, 17 Mär 2014, Григорий Третьяков wrote:

        > There is a terminal emulators that can use truecolor (24 bit), for
        > example konsole, and I wonder can vim use gui colorschemes in
        > terminal?

        Not yet. Using the csapprox plugin you might get a good approximation
        however.

        Best,
        Christian
        --
        Keine Lust zum Sockenwaschen? Auf den Balkon stellen, nach ca. 3 Tagen
        riechen sie wieder viel frischer.

      • Nikolay Pavlov
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 19, 2014

          On Mar 17, 2014 7:13 PM, "Григорий Третьяков" <monax.tinycode@...> wrote:

          > Hello.
          >
          > There is a terminal emulators that can use truecolor (24 bit), for example konsole, and I wonder can vim use gui colorschemes in terminal?

          You can search vim-dev for my patch that adds true color support (named 24-bit-xterm, xterm-truecolor or such). But this means you need to compile vim yourself.

          You can use https://bitbucket.org/ZyX_I/vim to get branch with this patch (it is mercurial bookmark though, not mercurial branch), use local-default bookmark to get the same version I am using (it includes xterm-truecolor and a number of other patches).

          > ---

        • Suresh Govindachar
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 19, 2014
            On Mo, 17 Mär 2014, Григорий Третьяков wrote:

            >> There is a terminal emulators that can use truecolor (24 bit), for
            >> example konsole, and I wonder can vim use gui colorschemes in
            >> terminal?

            On Windows: can inside ConEmu -- in fact, colors for vim inside ConEmu
            look better than in gui gvim! Color issues for vim inside ConEmu were
            fixed around late January 2014 -- early February 2014, and I have been
            using ConEmu since then; vim.exe is Bram's build; colorscheme is a
            tweak of calmar256_dark.

            There is the minor annoyance of occasionally needing to hit Ctrl-L.

            One other thing is that misspelled words are underlined and so don't
            look as good as in gvim (in gvim, they are shown with squiggles) -- but
            perhaps this can be fixed by tweaking the colorscheme.

            --Suresh

          • Suresh Govindachar
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 19, 2014
              Oops! Sorry, just realized that what I wrote below might not be what
              you are asking about -- the subject says "24 bit colorscheme" and I am
              writing about 256 colors!

              On 3/19/2014 9:59 PM, Suresh Govindachar wrote:
              > On Mo, 17 Mär 2014, Григорий Третьяков wrote:
              >>
              >>> There is a terminal emulators that can use truecolor (24 bit), for
              >>> example konsole, and I wonder can vim use gui colorschemes in
              >>> terminal?
              >
              > On Windows: can inside ConEmu -- in fact, colors for vim inside ConEmu
              > look better than in gui gvim! Color issues for vim inside ConEmu were
              > fixed around late January 2014 -- early February 2014, and I have been
              > using ConEmu since then; vim.exe is Bram's build; colorscheme is a
              > tweak of calmar256_dark.
              >
              > There is the minor annoyance of occasionally needing to hit Ctrl-L.
              >
              > One other thing is that misspelled words are underlined and so don't
              > look as good as in gvim (in gvim, they are shown with squiggles) -- but
              > perhaps this can be fixed by tweaking the colorscheme.
              >
              > --Suresh

            • ZyX
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 20, 2014
                On Thursday, March 20, 2014 9:03:34 AM UTC+4, Suresh Govindachar wrote:
                > Oops! Sorry, just realized that what I wrote below might not be what
                > you are asking about -- the subject says "24 bit colorscheme" and I am
                > writing about 256 colors!

                ConEmu supports true color. The same exact sequences as konsole does. Support was added shortly after I wondered whether it will be added, so I assume author of ConEmu has already prepared his code for something like this.

              • othree
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 21, 2014
                  ZyX於 2014年3月20日星期四UTC+8下午11時04分58秒寫道:
                  > On Thursday, March 20, 2014 9:03:34 AM UTC+4, Suresh Govindachar wrote:
                  > > Oops! Sorry, just realized that what I wrote below might not be what
                  > > you are asking about -- the subject says "24 bit colorscheme" and I am
                  > > writing about 256 colors!
                  >
                  > ConEmu supports true color. The same exact sequences as konsole does. Support was added shortly after I wondered whether it will be added, so I assume author of ConEmu has already prepared his code for something like this.

                  Hi ZyX

                  Are your still maintain this feature?
                  I found the branch '24-bit-xterm' is dead on BitBucket now.
                  And the last commit can support 24 bit color well is '8abaeea8b2e5'.
                  Just want to make sure is there any update on this.

                  Thanks

                • Павлов Николай Алекса

                    On November 22, 2014 7:49:04 AM EAT, othree <othree@...> wrote:
                    >ZyX於 2014年3月20日星期四UTC+8下午11時04分58秒寫道:
                    >> On Thursday, March 20, 2014 9:03:34 AM UTC+4, Suresh Govindachar
                    >wrote:
                    >> > Oops! Sorry, just realized that what I wrote below might not be
                    >what
                    >> > you are asking about -- the subject says "24 bit colorscheme" and I
                    >am
                    >> > writing about 256 colors!
                    >>
                    >> ConEmu supports true color. The same exact sequences as konsole does.
                    >Support was added shortly after I wondered whether it will be added, so
                    >I assume author of ConEmu has already prepared his code for something
                    >like this.
                    >
                    >Hi ZyX
                    >
                    >Are your still maintain this feature?
                    >I found the branch '24-bit-xterm' is dead on BitBucket now.
                    >And the last commit can support 24 bit color well is '8abaeea8b2e5'.
                    >Just want to make sure is there any update on this.
                    >

                    >Thanks
                    >

                    >--
                    >--
                    >You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
                    >Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                    >For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
                    >
                    >---

                    It is not "dead", it is "finished". I have merged this bookmark into local-default bookmark which I am using and local-default bookmark is being periodically merged with upstream bookmark which is periodically updated to upstream tip. If there were any merge conflicts with upstream I most likely would've updated 24-bit-xterm, but currently there is not much sense in this action.

                    Currently I am using this functionality and it works just fine.

                  • OOO
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 22, 2014
                      'Hi ZyX

                      Thanks for reply so quick.
                      I think there is an issue on my environment.
                      I try 'ht update local-defaullt' and it switch to 'default' branch.
                      Then compile with --enable-termtruecolor
                      But the gui color only have black and white.

                      I am using this on iTerm 2.9x. with term type 'xterm-256color'
                      And on the same environment.
                      Commit '8abaeea8b2e5' is fine.
                      So the issue might between this commit to next merge.

                        On November 22, 2014 4:01:37 PM EAT, OOO <othree@...> wrote:
                        >Hi ZyX
                        >
                        >I found the reason.
                        >If I set term type to 'xterm'
                        >Then every thing works great.
                        >
                        >And only happens after 'd0fc837'
                        >I am not sure which term type should I use for full color environment.
                        >So I just use 'xterm-256color'
                        >

                        >Thanks for your help and contribution.
                        >24 bit color support for Vim is very important for me.
                        >

                        >https://bitbucket.org/ZyX_I/vim/commits/d0fc837fee1469ba59187873ea9a5ced97e31c01

                        >> 'Hi ZyX
                        >>
                        >> Thanks for reply so quick.
                        >> I think there is an issue on my environment.
                        >> I try 'ht update local-defaullt' and it switch to 'default' branch.
                        >> Then compile with --enable-termtruecolor
                        >> But the gui color only have black and white.
                        >>
                        >> I am using this on iTerm 2.9x. with term type 'xterm-256color'
                        >> And on the same environment.
                        >> Commit '8abaeea8b2e5' is fine.
                        >> So the issue might between this commit to next merge.

                        ><zyx.vim@...>:

                        >and I

                        >does.
                        >so
                        >something

                        >send
                        >>>
                        >>> It is not "dead", it is "finished". I have merged this bookmark into
                        >local-default bookmark which I am using and local-default bookmark is
                        >being periodically merged with upstream bookmark which is periodically
                        >updated to upstream tip. If there were any merge conflicts with
                        >upstream I most likely would've updated 24-bit-xterm, but currently
                        >there is not much sense in this action.
                        >>>
                        >>> Currently I am using this functionality and it works just fine.
                        >>>

                        >> --
                        >> OOO
                        >

                        >--
                        >OOO

                        Ah, I still have not updated the documentation. Unless your terminal is "xterm" you must set t_8f and t_8b options yourself.