Progressive highlight while typing - incsearch

  • Albatossable
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2014
      Is it possible to highlight all occurences found during incremental search while still typing (i.e. as after pressing <Enter>)?
      Strangely, I haven't found anywhere a solution, while most of the modern editors I know have this feature.

    • Sam Roberts
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2014
        On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 12:51 PM, Albatossable <alex.dab91@...> wrote:
        > Is it possible to highlight all occurences found during incremental search while still typing (i.e. as after pressing <Enter>)?
        > Strangely, I haven't found anywhere a solution, while most of the modern editors I know have this feature.

        Its not clear to me what you are asking for, it actually sounds like
        vim's default behaviour.

        Check this out,
        http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Highlight_all_search_pattern_matches, see if
        something there is close to what you want.

        Sam

      • Albatossable
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3, 2014
          Il giorno sabato 1 marzo 2014 21:51:50 UTC+1, Albatossable ha scritto:
          > Is it possible to highlight all occurences found during incremental search while still typing (i.e. as after pressing <Enter>)?
          > Strangely, I haven't found anywhere a solution, while most of the modern editors I know have this feature.

          is it possible to highlight all occurences found during incremental search _WHILE STILL TYPING_?

        • Mohit Sharma
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2014
            On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 7:37 AM, Albatossable <alex.dab91@...> wrote:
            Il giorno sabato 1 marzo 2014 21:51:50 UTC+1, Albatossable ha scritto:
            > Is it possible to highlight all occurences found during incremental search while still typing (i.e. as after pressing <Enter>)?
            > Strangely, I haven't found anywhere a solution, while most of the modern editors I know have this feature.

            is it possible to highlight all occurences found during incremental search _WHILE STILL TYPING_?

            It's not a standard Vim feature mostly because you would want the search to be snappy I guess. I'm also unaware of any plugin that does that but you can write your own using match for highlighting and getchar() to get key events.

          • Chris Lott
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 3, 2014
              On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 6:37 AM, Albatossable <alex.dab91@...> wrote:
              > is it possible to highlight all occurences found during incremental search _WHILE STILL TYPING_?

              Something along these lines might help:
              http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/VimTip572

              Chris Lott <chris@...>

            • Jan Larres
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 4, 2014
                Albatossable <alex.dab91@...>:
                > Il giorno sabato 1 marzo 2014 21:51:50 UTC+1, Albatossable ha scritto:
                >> Is it possible to highlight all occurences found during incremental
                >> search while still typing (i.e. as after pressing <Enter>)?
                >> Strangely, I haven't found anywhere a solution, while most of the
                >> modern editors I know have this feature.
                >
                > is it possible to highlight all occurences found during incremental
                > search _WHILE STILL TYPING_?

                EasyMotion can do that:
                https://github.com/Lokaltog/vim-easymotion

                -Jan

                --
                -[ OpenPGP key ID: 00A0FD5F ]-
                The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's

              • Benji Fisher
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 5, 2014

                  You might try looking at word_complete.vim:  http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=73 .  Some people actually use it, but I wrote it as a proof of concept.  As such, it might serve as a starting point if you want to do something else while still typing.

                  --
                  Benji Fisher