installation issues on Windows 8.1

  • billy pilgrim
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 12, 2014
      Hi all,

      I have been a user of vim for years, and have installed it on Windows XP/7, linux, macos, etc and haven't seen this problem.

      I am (trying to) install it on a Windows 8.1 machine, using the self-installing exe (gvim74.exe) from the website.

      Once it is done (successfully it reports), it cannot find any of the colorschemes, and there is no help available. I can't imagine what I could have done wrong, but obviously I have done something.

      In my many attempts, it has installed to: C:\program files (x86)
      and to: /Users/me/bin and to /Users/me

      none of which make it happy.

      When I have moved the colors directory to where it can find them, it says it cannot allocate color khaki (for example, and many others).

      I hate to be some remedial in this, but wow -- this hurts!

      Thanks!
      :bp:

    • KF
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 13, 2014
        On Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:18:24 AM UTC+8, billy pilgrim wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I have been a user of vim for years, and have installed it on Windows XP/7, linux, macos, etc and haven't seen this problem.
        >
        > I am (trying to) install it on a Windows 8.1 machine, using the self-installing exe (gvim74.exe) from the website.

        Can you try my installer instead? (I have not used it on Win 8.1...)
        https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21119576/%5B_Utils_%5D/gvim74-178.exe

        HTH,
        KF

      • Billy Pilgrim
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 13, 2014
          On 2/13/2014 4:20 AM, KF wrote:
          > On Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:18:24 AM UTC+8, billy pilgrim wrote:
          >> Hi all,
          >>
          >> I have been a user of vim for years, and have installed it on Windows XP/7, linux, macos, etc and haven't seen this problem.
          >>
          >> I am (trying to) install it on a Windows 8.1 machine, using the self-installing exe (gvim74.exe) from the website.
          > Can you try my installer instead? (I have not used it on Win 8.1...)
          > https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21119576/%5B_Utils_%5D/gvim74-178.exe
          >
          > HTH,
          > KF

          Thank you, but yours was no different than the others.

          It installed in c:\Program Files (x86) -- the default.
          c:\Program Files (x86)\vim74\
          and it contains all of the standard subdirs (e.g., autoload, colors,
          compiler,...)
          $VIM points to /Users/me
          $VIMRUNTIME points to /Users/me

          It created a vimfiles directory in /Users/me (/Users/me/vimfiles) with
          subdirectories colors, compiler, doc, ftdetect, ftplugin, indent,
          keymap, plugin, syntax, but they are all empty. The coresponding
          directories under c:\program files (x86) are NOT empty.

          Is this just a matter of an environment variable being (mis) set?

          Thank you very much for your help.
          :bp:

        • Steve Hall
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 13, 2014
            On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 7:18 PM, billy pilgrim <bp.tralfamadore@...> wrote:
            > I am (trying to) install it on a Windows 8.1 machine, using the
            > self-installing exe (gvim74.exe) from the website.
            > Once it is done (successfully it reports), it cannot find any of the
            > colorschemes, and there is no help available.  I can't imagine what
            > I could have done wrong, but obviously I have done something.

            Try my installer (Vim without Cream), it works on my Win8.1:

            Freshly updated to 7.4.179. (Sorry, all, for the delays. I found an HG
            bug: Google changed the repository to disallow https.)

            --
            Steve Hall  [ digitect dancingpaper com ]
            SteveHallArchitecture http://SteveHallArchitecture.com

          • Billy Pilgrim
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 13, 2014

              On 2/13/2014 10:53 AM, Steve Hall wrote:
              On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 7:18 PM, billy pilgrim <bp.tralfamadore@...> wrote:
              > I am (trying to) install it on a Windows 8.1 machine, using the
              > self-installing exe (gvim74.exe) from the website.
              > Once it is done (successfully it reports), it cannot find any of the
              > colorschemes, and there is no help available.  I can't imagine what
              > I could have done wrong, but obviously I have done something.

              Try my installer (Vim without Cream), it works on my Win8.1:

              Freshly updated to 7.4.179. (Sorry, all, for the delays. I found an HG
              bug: Google changed the repository to disallow https.)

              --
              Steve Hall  [ digitect dancingpaper com ]
              SteveHallArchitecture http://SteveHallArchitecture.com

              Thanks!  That works!

              Now, what happened, or why does yours work, and the others do not?  I can't be the only one to (will) have this issue, can I?

              I'm happy (and productive) now -- thank you very much.
              :bp:

            • Steve Hall
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 13, 2014
                On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 11:13 AM, Billy Pilgrim <bp.tralfamadore@...> wrote:
                > Thanks!  That works!
                > Now, what happened, or why does yours work, and the others do not?
                > I can't be the only one to (will) have this issue, can I?

                It is likely the installer itself. I use the Nullsoft Installer soley
                instead of the offical Vim installer, which uses a combination of the
                Nullsoft (mostly cosmetic packaging) and a binary installer underneath
                that does most of the heavy lifting.

                Windows security has recently become a little less forgiving (probably
                a good thing) and doesn't permit unregistered binaries and scripts as
                much access these days. Between making directories, copying files,
                creating shortcuts in various profiles, and adjusting the registry,
                software installation is not as simple as it used to be. By using an
                off the shelf installer, I might be seeing the advantage of a focused
                development on these issues. But I'm guessing.

                > I'm happy (and productive) now -- thank you very much.

                Excellent, that's my goal.

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 13, 2014
                  Hi Steve,

                  On Friday, February 14, 2014 1:45:03 AM UTC+8, Steve Hall wrote:
                  > It is likely the installer itself. I use the Nullsoft Installer soley
                  >
                  > instead of the offical Vim installer, which uses a combination of the
                  > Nullsoft (mostly cosmetic packaging) and a binary installer underneath
                  > that does most of the heavy lifting.
                  >
                  > Windows security has recently become a little less forgiving (probably
                  > a good thing) and doesn't permit unregistered binaries and scripts as
                  >
                  > much access these days. Between making directories, copying files,
                  > creating shortcuts in various profiles, and adjusting the registry,
                  > software installation is not as simple as it used to be. By using an
                  >
                  > off the shelf installer, I might be seeing the advantage of a focused
                  > development on these issues. But I'm guessing.

                  Does your current installer installs different versions of gvimext.dll depending on 32-bit or 64-bit Windows? Currently the installer I used has that.

                  Regards,
                  KF

                • Steve Hall
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 13, 2014
                    On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 10:22 PM, KF <kfleong.rm@...> wrote:
                    > Does your current installer installs different versions of
                    > gvimext.dll depending on 32-bit or 64-bit Windows? Currently the
                    > installer I used has that.

                    It does not. I'm not even sure Vim itself will compile as a 64-bit
                    version. I build on a 64-bit Win8.1 machine but my :version has always
                    reported a 32-bit gvim.exe. If I ever figured out how to build a
                    64-bit binary, I'd look into the same for gvimext.dll.

                    Frankly, the 32-bit is blazingly fast and capable, not sure I could
                    even tell the difference with anything better.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 13, 2014
                      On 14/02/14 05:12, Steve Hall wrote:
                      > On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 10:22 PM, KF <kfleong.rm@...
                      > <mailto:kfleong.rm@...>> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Does your current installer installs different versions of
                      > > gvimext.dll depending on 32-bit or 64-bit Windows? Currently the
                      > > installer I used has that.
                      >
                      > It does not. I'm not even sure Vim itself will compile as a 64-bit
                      > version. I build on a 64-bit Win8.1 machine but my :version has always
                      > reported a 32-bit gvim.exe. If I ever figured out how to build a
                      > 64-bit binary, I'd look into the same for gvimext.dll.
                      >
                      > Frankly, the 32-bit is blazingly fast and capable, not sure I could
                      > even tell the difference with anything better.

                      Yeah, one of the differences is that the 32-bit binary is limited to
                      editing files no bigger than 2 gigabytes, but hopefully that limitation
                      won't be much of a problem to most users in most cases.

                      <chesty> xemacs fixed my flatulence
                      -- From the "XEmacs: Not just an editor" department

                    • KF
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 14, 2014
                        On Friday, February 14, 2014 12:12:57 PM UTC+8, Steve Hall wrote:
                        > It does not. I'm not even sure Vim itself will compile as a 64-bit
                        > version. I build on a 64-bit Win8.1 machine but my :version has always
                        >
                        > reported a 32-bit gvim.exe. If I ever figured out how to build a
                        > 64-bit binary, I'd look into the same for gvimext.dll.

                        Sorry for not being clear. Currently I compiled Vim main executables to 32-bit binaries, with gvimext.dll to 32-bit and 64-bit binaries.

                        The current installer that I am using, when installing, checks whether the OS is 32-bit or 64-bit. If 32-bit, it will install the 32-bit gvimext.dll; otherwise it will install the 64-bit gvimext.dll (this is so that on 64-bit OS, the Edit with ... integration works).

                        Regards,
                        KF

                      • Steve Hall
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 14, 2014
                          On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 4:09 AM, KF <kfleong.rm@...> wrote:
                          > Sorry for not being clear. Currently I compiled Vim main executables
                          > to 32-bit binaries, with gvimext.dll to 32-bit and 64-bit binaries.
                          > The current installer that I am using, when installing, checks
                          > whether the OS is 32-bit or 64-bit. If 32-bit, it will install the
                          > 32-bit gvimext.dll; otherwise it will install the 64-bit gvimext.dll
                          > (this is so that on 64-bit OS, the Edit with ... integration works).

                          Hmm, looks like I disabled the inclusion of this file ages ago!

                          Truth is, I use a "Edit with _V_im" menu item that ignores context. A
                          [right-click]V simply opens the file Vim. I've never needed the other
                          options. Who does? 99.9% of the time I'm just opening to edit, if I
                          really needed to open Read Only I can do that from within Vim.

                          Anybody object to an installer that simply adds an "Edit with Vim"
                          context menu (V is the quick key) by default? I can make it an option
                          that is off, too.