regular expression blindness

  • meino.cramer@...
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2014

      sorry, this may be a very stupdi question (tm) but...

      I try to find an error-line in a very longis tar output log
      (and do later some editing with it). By the way...I am doing this
      on Linux...:)

      Except for the error reporting line all lines start with '\.\/' but
      I dont know it contents. Searching for 'error' gives me be far to many
      hits from regular files (listed in the log).

      So...I am trying to find any line NOT starting with '\.\/' (dot
      slash).

      I can invert a singe character with [^c] (meaning anything not 'c')
      and I can NOT find alternatives...

      But how can I NOT find a sepecific sequence of characters at the
      beginning of a line?

      Thank you ver much for any help!

      Best regards and have a nice weekend!
      mcc

    • Matteo Cavalleri
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2014
        > But how can I NOT find a sepecific sequence of characters at the
        > beginning of a line?

        since it's just the first 2 characters, i'd try with

        /^[^\.][^\/]

        but if you need to delete all the other lines you should also be able to do

        :v/\.\//d

        (see :help :v)

        anyway a little search on google should give you more answers

      • Lech Lorens
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1, 2014
          On Saturday, February 1, 2014 12:41:34 PM UTC+1, meino....@... wrote:

          > Except for the error reporting line all lines start with '\.\/' but
          > [...]
          >
          > I can invert a singe character with [^c] (meaning anything not 'c')
          > and I can NOT find alternatives...
          >
          > But how can I NOT find a sepecific sequence of characters at the
          > beginning of a line?

          There's \@!. A very-magic regexp version will look as follows:
          \v^(\.\/)@!..

          HTH,
          Lech

        • Tim Chase
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 1, 2014
            On 2014-02-01 12:41, meino.cramer@... wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > sorry, this may be a very stupdi question (tm) but...
            >
            > I try to find an error-line in a very longis tar output log
            > (and do later some editing with it). By the way...I am doing this
            > on Linux...:)
            >
            > Except for the error reporting line all lines start with '\.\/' but
            > I dont know it contents. Searching for 'error' gives me be far to
            > many hits from regular files (listed in the log).
            >
            > So...I am trying to find any line NOT starting with '\.\/' (dot
            > slash).
            >
            > I can invert a singe character with [^c] (meaning anything not 'c')
            > and I can NOT find alternatives...
            >
            > But how can I NOT find a sepecific sequence of characters at the
            > beginning of a line?

            You have a couple options that occur to me:

            1) if you can delete the content, just use :v instead of :g making it

            :v/^\.\//d

            2) if you just want to search, you can use the more complex pattern

            /^\(\.\/\)\@!

            which asserts that the stuff in the \(...\) is not fount ("\@!") at
            the beginning of the line.

            -tim

          • Erik Christiansen
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 2, 2014
              On 01.02.14 08:23, Tim Chase wrote:
              > 2) if you just want to search, you can use the more complex pattern
              >
              > /^\(\.\/\)\@!

              Yebbut, that's nearly 50% backslashes, so hard to read through the
              picket fence. In less obsolete syntax it is:

              /\v^(\.\/)@!

              I.e. only the literalised magic chars need be escaped. The picket fence
              of backslashes which do nothing useful is completely gone. :-)

              Now if Vim had a config option to preset "\v" (posix ERE), then we'd be
              in the 21st century at last.

              Erik

              --
              ... and to avoid the tedious repetition of these woordes 'is equal to'
              I will sett, as I doe often in woorke use, a paire of parralelles or

            • Marcin Szamotulski
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 2, 2014
                On 19:17 Sun 02 Feb , Erik Christiansen wrote:
                > On 01.02.14 08:23, Tim Chase wrote:
                > > 2) if you just want to search, you can use the more complex pattern
                > >
                > > /^\(\.\/\)\@!
                >
                > Yebbut, that's nearly 50% backslashes, so hard to read through the
                > picket fence. In less obsolete syntax it is:
                >
                > /\v^(\.\/)@!
                >
                > I.e. only the literalised magic chars need be escaped. The picket fence
                > of backslashes which do nothing useful is completely gone. :-)
                >
                > Now if Vim had a config option to preset "\v" (posix ERE), then we'd be
                > in the 21st century at last.
                >
                > Erik

                Since we are in 21st century ;), I just wrote a small plugin for that:

                Cheers,
                Marcin

              • Tim Chase
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 2, 2014
                  On 2014-02-02 19:17, Erik Christiansen wrote:
                  > On 01.02.14 08:23, Tim Chase wrote:
                  > > 2) if you just want to search, you can use the more complex
                  > > pattern
                  > >
                  > > /^\(\.\/\)\@!
                  >
                  > Yebbut, that's nearly 50% backslashes, so hard to read through the
                  > picket fence. In less obsolete syntax it is:
                  >
                  > /\v^(\.\/)@!

                  50%...that's only a 9-10% reduction in total length ;-)
                  (granted, it will amortize as the number of escaped characters grows
                  longer; and depending on the way of searching, the "/" doesn't always
                  need to be escaped)

                  > Now if Vim had a config option to preset "\v" (posix ERE), then
                  > we'd be in the 21st century at last.

                  That breaks enough plugins and existing muscle memory that I'm fairly
                  certain it will never happen. It's muscle memory that has me stuck.
                  I still get stung going to other RE engines (sed, awk, and
                  JavaScript/PCREs) as I have to translate from my day-to-day Vim
                  syntax to the syntax(es) that others find natural.

                  -tim

                • Erik Christiansen
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 3, 2014
                    On 02.02.14 13:48, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
                    > On 19:17 Sun 02 Feb , Erik Christiansen wrote:
                    > > Now if Vim had a config option to preset "\v" (posix ERE), then we'd be
                    > > in the 21st century at last.

                    > Since we are in 21st century ;), I just wrote a small plugin for that:

                    Ooooh! Downloaded, and voted as "Life changing".

                    Works brilliantly, straight out of the box.

                    (Note: If the first match is in a closed fold, it is not opened, so I
                    just hit <right-arrow>. Subsequent matches do open the fold. )

                    Many Many Thanks, Marcin!

                    Erik

                    --
                    Pessimist: The glass is half empty.
                    Optimist: The glass is half full.

                  • Erik Christiansen
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 3, 2014
                      On 02.02.14 08:25, Tim Chase wrote:
                      > On 2014-02-02 19:17, Erik Christiansen wrote:
                      > > Now if Vim had a config option to preset "\v" (posix ERE), then
                      > > we'd be in the 21st century at last.
                      >
                      > That breaks enough plugins and existing muscle memory that I'm fairly
                      > certain it will never happen.

                      Marcin's nifty strategy - injecting it on user entry only - seems to
                      dodge that bullet brilliantly, AFAICT.

                      > It's muscle memory that has me stuck.
                      > I still get stung going to other RE engines (sed, awk, and
                      > JavaScript/PCREs) as I have to translate from my day-to-day Vim
                      > syntax to the syntax(es) that others find natural.

                      That painful problem can also be dodged - I use egrep | grep -e,
                      sed -e, awk, lex, and vim with \v, so that one regex syntax works
                      for all. OK, vim has some extensions, as does lex, but the 95% used every
                      day is the same. Now muscle memory works for me, rather than against.

                      The backslash storm in BREs arises because they don't know whether
                      they're regexes or plain text - so many characters need to be escaped to
                      become magic. EREs eliminate a lot of backslashes - and confusion, since:

                      Anything that can be magic already is, and must be escaped to be literal.

                      One rule - not much confusion. Simple enough for me to handle. :-)

                      Erik

                      --
                      Habit is habit, and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but
                      coaxed down-stairs a step at a time.

                    • Marcin Szamotulski
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 3, 2014
                        On 20:09 Mon 03 Feb , Erik Christiansen wrote:
                        > On 02.02.14 13:48, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
                        > > On 19:17 Sun 02 Feb , Erik Christiansen wrote:
                        > > > Now if Vim had a config option to preset "\v" (posix ERE), then we'd be
                        > > > in the 21st century at last.
                        >
                        > > Since we are in 21st century ;), I just wrote a small plugin for that:
                        > > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=4849
                        >
                        > Ooooh! Downloaded, and voted as "Life changing".
                        >
                        > Works brilliantly, straight out of the box.
                        >
                        > (Note: If the first match is in a closed fold, it is not opened, so I
                        > just hit <right-arrow>. Subsequent matches do open the fold. )
                        >
                        > Many Many Thanks, Marcin!
                        >
                        > Erik

                        Thanks!

                        I have found this trick earlier using :! in vim. You can check to other
                        nifty plugins using the same <C-\>e cmap trick:
                        1) system.vim: http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=4224
                        for :!ls and :! ls (the second one will run :echo system("ls") and
                        there is a difference with using system() or :! in vim, though in
                        gvim they work more or less the same)
                        2) cmd_alias.vim: http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=4250
                        for making aliases: with this plugin you can define lower case user
                        commands, what is forbidden by a direct usage of :command (see :help
                        command)

                        I am happy you like it! I like it too.

                        Like Tim, I also have a strong vim muscle memory, but let's face it.
                        For some time I've been already thinking that \(..\|..\) is to much
                        pain.

                        Another solution is to define a map:
                        nm / /\v
                        and the advantage is that you can delete \v with a single <c-u>, with my
                        plugin you have to explicitly type \m.

                        Cheers,
                        Marcin

                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 3, 2014
                          Marcin Szamotulski <mszamot@...> [14-02-03 18:24]:
                          > On 20:09 Mon 03 Feb , Erik Christiansen wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > Since we are in 21st century ;), I just wrote a small plugin for that:
                          > > > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=4849
                          > >
                          > > Ooooh! Downloaded, and voted as "Life changing".
                          > >
                          > > Works brilliantly, straight out of the box.
                          > >
                          > > (Note: If the first match is in a closed fold, it is not opened, so I
                          > > just hit <right-arrow>. Subsequent matches do open the fold. )
                          > >
                          > > Many Many Thanks, Marcin!
                          > >
                          > > Erik
                          >
                          > Thanks!
                          >
                          > I have found this trick earlier using :! in vim. You can check to other
                          > nifty plugins using the same <C-\>e cmap trick:
                          > 1) system.vim: http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=4224
                          > for :!ls and :! ls (the second one will run :echo system("ls") and
                          > there is a difference with using system() or :! in vim, though in
                          > gvim they work more or less the same)
                          > 2) cmd_alias.vim: http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=4250
                          > for making aliases: with this plugin you can define lower case user
                          > commands, what is forbidden by a direct usage of :command (see :help
                          > command)
                          >
                          > I am happy you like it! I like it too.
                          >
                          > Like Tim, I also have a strong vim muscle memory, but let's face it.
                          > For some time I've been already thinking that \(..\|..\) is to much
                          > pain.
                          >
                          > Another solution is to define a map:
                          > nm / /\v
                          > and the advantage is that you can delete \v with a single <c-u>, with my
                          > plugin you have to explicitly type \m.
                          >
                          > Cheers,
                          > Marcin

                          > ---

                          ...it started with a simple question of a regex blind...and now THIS!
                          GREAT!

                          Thank you very much!

                          best regard,
                          mcc

                        • Marcin Szamotulski
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 3, 2014
                            On 19:39 Mon 03 Feb , meino.cramer@... wrote:
                            > Marcin Szamotulski <mszamot@...> [14-02-03 18:24]:

                            > > > Ooooh! Downloaded, and voted as "Life changing".
                            > > >
                            > > > Works brilliantly, straight out of the box.
                            > > >
                            > > > (Note: If the first match is in a closed fold, it is not opened, so I
                            > > > just hit <right-arrow>. Subsequent matches do open the fold. )
                            > > >
                            > > > Many Many Thanks, Marcin!
                            > > >
                            > > > Erik
                            > >
                            > > Thanks!
                            > >
                            > > I have found this trick earlier using :! in vim. You can check to other
                            > > nifty plugins using the same <C-\>e cmap trick:
                            > > 1) system.vim: http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=4224
                            > > for :!ls and :! ls (the second one will run :echo system("ls") and
                            > > there is a difference with using system() or :! in vim, though in
                            > > gvim they work more or less the same)
                            > > 2) cmd_alias.vim: http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=4250
                            > > for making aliases: with this plugin you can define lower case user
                            > > commands, what is forbidden by a direct usage of :command (see :help
                            > > command)
                            > >
                            > > I am happy you like it! I like it too.
                            > >
                            > > Like Tim, I also have a strong vim muscle memory, but let's face it.
                            > > For some time I've been already thinking that \(..\|..\) is to much
                            > > pain.
                            > >
                            > > Another solution is to define a map:
                            > > nm / /\v
                            > > and the advantage is that you can delete \v with a single <c-u>, with my
                            > > plugin you have to explicitly type \m.
                            > >
                            > > Cheers,
                            > > Marcin
                            > >
                            > > --
                            > > --
                            > >
                            > > ---
                            > >

                            > Hi,
                            >
                            > ...it started with a simple question of a regex blind...and now THIS!
                            > GREAT!
                            >
                            > Thank you very much!
                            >
                            > best regard,
                            > mcc

                            Well, sorry for hijacking the thread ;)

                            Best regards,
                            Marcin

                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 3, 2014
                              Marcin Szamotulski <mszamot@...> [14-02-03 20:04]:
                              > On 19:39 Mon 03 Feb , meino.cramer@... wrote:
                              > > Marcin Szamotulski <mszamot@...> [14-02-03 18:24]:

                              > > > Thanks!
                              > > >
                              > > > I have found this trick earlier using :! in vim. You can check to other
                              > > > nifty plugins using the same <C-\>e cmap trick:
                              > > > 1) system.vim: http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=4224
                              > > > for :!ls and :! ls (the second one will run :echo system("ls") and
                              > > > there is a difference with using system() or :! in vim, though in
                              > > > gvim they work more or less the same)
                              > > > 2) cmd_alias.vim: http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=4250
                              > > > for making aliases: with this plugin you can define lower case user
                              > > > commands, what is forbidden by a direct usage of :command (see :help
                              > > > command)
                              > > >
                              > > > I am happy you like it! I like it too.
                              > > >
                              > > > Like Tim, I also have a strong vim muscle memory, but let's face it.
                              > > > For some time I've been already thinking that \(..\|..\) is to much
                              > > > pain.
                              > > >
                              > > > Another solution is to define a map:
                              > > > nm / /\v
                              > > > and the advantage is that you can delete \v with a single <c-u>, with my
                              > > > plugin you have to explicitly type \m.
                              > > >
                              > > > Cheers,
                              > > > Marcin
                              > > >
                              > > > --
                              > > > --
                              > > > You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
                              > > > Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                              > > > For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
                              > > >
                              > > > ---
                              > > >

                              > > Hi,
                              > >
                              > > ...it started with a simple question of a regex blind...and now THIS!
                              > > GREAT!
                              > >
                              > > Thank you very much!
                              > >
                              > > best regard,
                              > > mcc
                              >
                              > Well, sorry for hijacking the thread ;)
                              >
                              > Best regards,
                              > Marcin

                              Hi Marcin,

                              nononono.....sorry my joke goes the wrong way...I meant:
                              THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR HIJACKING THIS THREAD AND OF COURSE FOR THE
                              PLUGINS!

                              With this statement I officially allow

                              Marcin Szamotulski

                              to intercept and hijack any thread of mine on the vim mailinglist
                              for the purpose of enlightment, fun, education and plugins (of course).
                              w!

                              Best reagards,
                              mcc
                              blinded by the regex

                            • Charles Campbell
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 3, 2014
                                meino.cramer@... wrote:
                                > Hi,
                                >
                                > sorry, this may be a very stupdi question (tm) but...
                                >
                                > I try to find an error-line in a very longis tar output log
                                > (and do later some editing with it). By the way...I am doing this
                                > on Linux...:)
                                >
                                > Except for the error reporting line all lines start with '\.\/' but
                                > I dont know it contents. Searching for 'error' gives me be far to many
                                > hits from regular files (listed in the log).
                                >
                                > So...I am trying to find any line NOT starting with '\.\/' (dot
                                > slash).
                                >
                                > I can invert a singe character with [^c] (meaning anything not 'c')
                                > and I can NOT find alternatives...
                                >
                                > But how can I NOT find a sepecific sequence of characters at the
                                > beginning of a line?

                                You could try my LogiPat plugin. In this case, using it would be:

                                :LP !"\.\/" && "error"

                                ie. NOT ./ and must have "error".

                                You can get LogiPat from my website:
                                http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#LOGIPAT.

                                Regards,
                                Charles Campbell

                              • Marcin Szamotulski
                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 6, 2014
                                  > > Thanks!
                                  > >
                                  > > I have found this trick earlier using :! in vim. You can check to other
                                  > > nifty plugins using the same <C-\>e cmap trick:
                                  > > 1) system.vim: http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=4224
                                  > > for :!ls and :! ls (the second one will run :echo system("ls") and
                                  > > there is a difference with using system() or :! in vim, though in
                                  > > gvim they work more or less the same)
                                  > > 2) cmd_alias.vim: http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=4250
                                  > > for making aliases: with this plugin you can define lower case user
                                  > > commands, what is forbidden by a direct usage of :command (see :help
                                  > > command)
                                  > >
                                  > > I am happy you like it! I like it too.
                                  > >
                                  > > Like Tim, I also have a strong vim muscle memory, but let's face it.
                                  > > For some time I've been already thinking that \(..\|..\) is to much
                                  > > pain.
                                  > >
                                  > > Another solution is to define a map:
                                  > > nm / /\v
                                  > > and the advantage is that you can delete \v with a single <c-u>, with my
                                  > > plugin you have to explicitly type \m.
                                  > >
                                  > > Cheers,
                                  > > Marcin
                                  > >
                                  > > --
                                  > > --
                                  > >
                                  > > ---
                                  > >

                                  > Hi,
                                  >
                                  > ...it started with a simple question of a regex blind...and now THIS!
                                  > GREAT!
                                  >
                                  > Thank you very much!
                                  >
                                  > best regard,
                                  > mcc

                                  I've been working on this plugin, and its better version is on github
                                  which supports <c-f> as well (thanks to Ben Fritz who helped me here on
                                  vim_use) and a few other commands: substitute, global, vimgrep, lvimgrep, and also
                                  the +/ argument for edit and friends (also can escape backslashes what
                                  I always forgot to do :) ). Here is the link:
                                  https://github.com/coot/EnchantedVim
                                  it has a dependency now:
                                  https://www.github/coot/CRDispatcher

                                  If you use one of the others of myplugins: System or CmdAlias you also
                                  need to update them from their github repos.

                                  Best regards,
                                  Marcin