Link to vimweekly.... possible replacement for vimwikia

  • tawheed abdul-raheeem
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 27, 2014
      Sorry for the re-post, yesterday I announced a project that I was working on and I forgot to include a link to the page. Probably because I got overly excited about the project. Here is a link to the project http://www.vimweekly.com/

      The goal here is very simple, - I will serve as the maintainer of the project and will be responsible for all the edits. The tips on VimWeekly will heavily based on community input, stackoverflow, books and the ultimate vim manual.

      How much does it cost?
      Its absolutely free and most important free from ads, hosting is currently provided by heroku. Depending on the traffic that site receives I might consider going for a paid service at no cost to community.

      I also understand that people have bookmarks and all the other good stuffs, It is going to be a gradual process and is definitely going to take a long time before we fully transition from vimwikia.

      Let me know if you have any suggestions on how to make it better for us!

      -T

    • lith
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 28, 2014
        > The goal here is very simple, - I will serve as the maintainer of the project and will be responsible for all the edits. The tips on VimWeekly will heavily based on community input, stackoverflow, books and the ultimate vim manual.

        I think it would be a good idea to collect the tips in a way that makes them accessible through vim help. There are scripts that convert vimwikia tip pages to vim help format. I think your newsletter should provide similar functionality -- e.g. by making them also accessible via github in plain text format that could later on be converted to vim help files.

        I personally think a weekly newsletter is a good format to fight information overload and to distribute news/tips to the community.

        Regards,
        Tom

      • Konovalov, Vadim
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 28, 2014
          > On Behalf Of tawheed abdul-raheeem
          > Sorry for the re-post, yesterday I announced a project that I was working on
          > and I forgot to include a link to the page. Probably because I got overly
          > excited about the project. Here is a link to the project
          > http://www.vimweekly.com/

          Very nice :)

        • Fredrik Andersson
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 28, 2014
            Great project!

            Would it be possible to get it as an rss? My mail is cluttered enough as it is already.

            On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 12:07 PM, Konovalov, Vadim <Vadim.Konovalov@...> wrote:
            > On Behalf Of tawheed abdul-raheeem
            > Sorry for the re-post, yesterday I announced a project that I was working on
            > and I forgot to include a link to the page. Probably because I got overly
            > excited about the project. Here is a link to the project
            > http://www.vimweekly.com/

            Very nice :)

          • tawheed abdul-raheeem
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 28, 2014
              On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 7:07:16 AM UTC-5, Fredrik Andersson wrote:
              > Great project!
              >
              > Would it be possible to get it as an rss? My mail is cluttered enough as it is already.
              >

              > On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 12:07 PM, Konovalov, Vadim <Vadim.K...@...> wrote:
              >

              > > On Behalf Of tawheed abdul-raheeem
              >

              > > Sorry for the re-post, yesterday I announced a project that I was working on
              >
              > > and I forgot to include a link to the page. Probably because I got overly
              >
              > > excited about the project. Here is a link to the project
              >
              > > http://www.vimweekly.com/
              >

              > Very nice :)

              > ---

              Never really considered support for RSS but with the amount of feedback and support I am getting on the project I think I will go ahead and implement it. I will keep you posted!

            • tawheed abdul-raheeem
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 28, 2014
                On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 3:57:36 AM UTC-5, lith wrote:
                > > The goal here is very simple, - I will serve as the maintainer of the project and will be responsible for all the edits. The tips on VimWeekly will heavily based on community input, stackoverflow, books and the ultimate vim manual.
                >
                > I think it would be a good idea to collect the tips in a way that makes them accessible through vim help. There are scripts that convert vimwikia tip pages to vim help format. I think your newsletter should provide similar functionality -- e.g. by making them also accessible via github in plain text format that could later on be converted to vim help files.
                >
                > I personally think a weekly newsletter is a good format to fight information overload and to distribute news/tips to the community.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Tom

                > I think it would be a good idea to collect the tips in a way that makes them accessible through vim help. There are scripts that convert vimwikia tip pages to vim help format. I think your newsletter should provide similar functionality -- e.g. by making them also accessible via github in plain text format that could later on be converted to vim help files.

                Never thought about that, definitely a great idea and would surely be implemented very soon. Stay tuned.