How to learn vim

  • Paolo Bolzoni
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 24, 2014
      Dear list,

      I am interested in improving my vim knowledge, so I tried
      seeking on the internet about tutorials. But in most of the
      cases you only find useful cheat sheets, extremely basic
      command (i.e., hjklg...) or over-complicated plugins that
      once activated seems to start random actions while typing.

      Now, I know I am probably missing the obvious. But can
      anyone point me to tutorial to learn more than moving
      around in the file? Or you learnt in some other way?

      Your sincerely,
      Paolo

    • Ethan Hereth
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 24, 2014
        On Friday, January 24, 2014, Paolo Bolzoni <paolo.bolzoni.brown@...> wrote:
        Dear list,

        I am interested in improving my vim knowledge, so I tried
        seeking on the internet about tutorials. But in most of the
        cases you only find useful cheat sheets, extremely basic
        command (i.e., hjklg...) or over-complicated plugins that
        once activated seems to start random actions while typing.

        Now, I know I am probably missing the obvious. But can
        anyone point me to tutorial to learn more than moving
        around in the file? Or you learnt in some other way?

        Your sincerely,
        Paolo

        Paolo,

        Have you tried running vimtutor? Type :help vimtutor from within vim to read more about it. It's fairly basic, but I good place to start. Also, try www.openvim.com/tutorial.html for a clever visual tutorial. That's just one of the first things I found with a quick google search for "vim tutorial," there must be many more.

        Cheers, and happy vimming

      • Marc Weber
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 24, 2014
          1) vimtutor
          2) :help

          Some advanced ideas:
          https://github.com/MarcWeber/vim-addon-manager/blob/master/autoload/sample_vimrc_for_new_users.vim

          http://vim-wiki.mawercer.de/wiki/index.html
          => "how to get help about vim"

          And of course there is the vim wiki:
          http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki

          Of course you'll get more replies and hints

          Also join irc if cannot find a solution within 5min.

          Marc Weber

        • Benjamin Klein
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 24, 2014
            On Jan 24, 2014, at 7:04 AM, Paolo Bolzoni <paolo.bolzoni.brown@...> wrote:

            Now, I know I am probably missing the obvious. But can
            anyone point me to tutorial to learn more than moving
            around in the file? Or you learnt in some other way?

            I started with vimtutor (which has already been mentioned) and then found this (among other things) helpful: http://yannesposito.com/Scratch/en/blog/Learn-Vim-Progressively/.

            Also, Daniel Miessler has a (I think more recent) lengthy tutorial on using Vim; it covers a good range of Vim ideas and is at http://www.danielmiessler.com/study/vim/.

            Sent from my iPhone

          • Mohit Sharma
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 24, 2014

              On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 5:04 AM, Paolo Bolzoni <paolo.bolzoni.brown@...> wrote:
              Dear list,

              I am interested in improving my vim knowledge, so I tried
              seeking on the internet about tutorials. But in most of the
              cases you only find useful cheat sheets, extremely basic
              command (i.e., hjklg...) or over-complicated plugins that
              once activated seems to start random actions while typing.

              Now, I know I am probably missing the obvious. But can
              anyone point me to tutorial to learn more than moving
              around in the file? Or you learnt in some other way?

              Once you're familiar with the basics which shouldn't take a long while. I've found  this place http://learnvimscriptthehardway.stevelosh.com/ to be super useful.

              Your sincerely,
              Paolo

            • Marcin Szamotulski
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 24, 2014
                On 12:06 Fri 24 Jan , Mohit Sharma wrote:
                > On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 5:04 AM, Paolo Bolzoni <
                > paolo.bolzoni.brown@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Dear list,
                > >
                > > I am interested in improving my vim knowledge, so I tried
                > > seeking on the internet about tutorials. But in most of the
                > > cases you only find useful cheat sheets, extremely basic
                > > command (i.e., hjklg...) or over-complicated plugins that
                > > once activated seems to start random actions while typing.
                > >
                > > Now, I know I am probably missing the obvious. But can
                > > anyone point me to tutorial to learn more than moving
                > > around in the file? Or you learnt in some other way?
                > >

                > Once you're familiar with the basics which shouldn't take a long while.
                > I've found this place http://learnvimscriptthehardway.stevelosh.com/ to be
                > super useful.
                >

                > > Your sincerely,
                > > Paolo
                > >
                > > --
                > > --
                > >
                > > ---

                > ---

                As already mentioned there is :help, you should now that :help contains
                user manual as well which was based on a book (:help frombook). The
                manual starts with :help usr_01 which is mentioned on :help.

                There are also very nice video casts:
                1) http://vimcast.org
                2) http://derekwyatt.org/vim/tutorials/novice/#Welcome

                Cheers,
                Marcin

              • Ben Fritz
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 25, 2014
                  On Friday, January 24, 2014 7:04:42 AM UTC-6, Paolo Bolzoni wrote:
                  > Dear list,
                  >

                  > I am interested in improving my vim knowledge, so I tried
                  >
                  > seeking on the internet about tutorials. But in most of the
                  >
                  > cases you only find useful cheat sheets, extremely basic
                  >
                  > command (i.e., hjklg...) or over-complicated plugins that
                  >
                  > once activated seems to start random actions while typing.
                  >

                  > Now, I know I am probably missing the obvious. But can
                  >
                  > anyone point me to tutorial to learn more than moving
                  >
                  > around in the file? Or you learnt in some other way?

                  Some wiki resources to help:

                  http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Getting_started
                  http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_documentation