Do developers use vim exclusively or alternate with an IDE?

  • Sam Bituser
    Message 1 of 36 , Jan 13, 2014

      I have been trying hard to use vim wherever possible, but while I enjoy using it when I know what I am doing, sometimes it's just quicker to use a mouse. Does this feeling of frustration ever go away? I would like to note that I alternate between HTML, CSS, C#, Python and Php. I am on windows.

    • Erik Christiansen
      Message 36 of 36 , Jan 14, 2014
        On 14.01.14 08:11, Tim Chase wrote:

        > > Ah, that's very nifty. Thanks.
        > > I've mapped it to ^P, which wasn't doing anything useful.
        > >
        > > nnoremap ^P "+p
        > > inoremap ^P ^["+p^Mi
        >
        > Just for the record, while I agree that ^P is somewhat useless in
        > normal-mode, ^P is pretty useful in insert-mode. It (and its
        > complement ^N) offers completions of all the matches of whatever
        > you've typed so far. I use it multiple times per day and would hate
        > to lose that functionality.

        Tried that once, but forgot about it again. (It's easier to remember
        stuff from 40 years ago, somehow.) I take your point, so better put them
        on Alt- :

        nnoremap <A-p> "+p
        inoremap <A-p> ^["+p^Mi

        Erik

        --
        History doesn't always repeat itself. Sometimes it just screams,
        'Why don't you listen to me?' and lets fly with a big stick.