plugin for taking notes with code?

  • uukkhh
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 9, 2014
      Hi all,

      I have been using vim for a while and like it very much. (But still entry level :-) Now I need to read source code of a big project, and when browsing, have to take some notes from time to time to understand it faster.

      I am thinking if there exists a plugin for taking notes on particular line/variable/function in the code, so that next time when the cursor is on it, the associated notes could show up in a separate window. And that note does not modify the original source code file. I searched plugins and found some great tools, such as notes.vim, however, it seems not serving the exact purpose needed. I appreciate if anyone would let me know anything similar to what I want.

      Thanks!
      Ji

    • Marc Weber
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 9, 2014
        Excerpts from uukkhh's message of Thu Jan 09 20:16:03 +0100 2014:
        > I have been using vim for a while and like it very much. (But still
        > entry level :-) Now I need to read source code of a big project, and
        > when browsing, have to take some notes from time to time to understand
        > it faster.

        :e notes.txt

        If you need more, have a look at the Boomark command at
        github.com/MarcWeber/vim-addon-other and customize.

        It just adds location to a bookmarks.txt file with file/line info (gf on
        itto jump to)

        Of course you can have more advanced solutions.

        Well - you need more. Maybe just use VCS version and work with diffs?
        Then you can edit code and add your own statements ...

        its as much work as "git stash" or hg has a way to keep a pile of
        patches which you can apply/remove easily, too.

        Marc Weber

      • Karthick Gururaj
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 9, 2014
          On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 12:46 AM, uukkhh <uukkhh@...> wrote:
          > Hi all,
          >
          > I have been using vim for a while and like it very much. (But still entry level :-) Now I need to read source code of a big project, and when browsing, have to take some notes from time to time to understand it faster.
          >
          > I am thinking if there exists a plugin for taking notes on particular line/variable/function in the code, so that next time when the cursor is on it, the associated notes could show up in a separate window. And that note does not modify the original source code file. I searched plugins and found some great tools, such as notes.vim, however, it seems not serving the exact purpose needed. I appreciate if anyone would let me know anything similar to what I want.

          You might want to take a look at code reviewer plugin:

          It can be modified to show the comment associated with the current line..

          - Karthick

        • Marc Weber
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 10, 2014
            There are various plugins which can show marks for location or quikfix
            list, thus using :cfile to load the bookmarks into quickfix then using
            one of the following two plugins:

            Examples:
            - github.com/MarcWeber/vim-addon-signs
            This provides a simple function for placing a list of signs

            :UpdateQuickfixSigns is the sample implementation doing that

            - https://github.com/tomtom/quickfixsigns_vim

            - syntastic has such feature (but does a lot more ..)

            Then mapping :cnext :cprevious could be reasonable fast if you have only
            a couple of comments for each file.

            Alternatives would be copying files adding an extension such as .review,
            then you could use vim's builtin diff feature to show your comments

            I've created a small wiki article about the mentioned options:
            http://vim-wiki.mawercer.de/wiki/tips/taking-notes-about-code

            Marc Weber

          • Jan Christoph Ebersbach
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 10, 2014
              On Thursday, January 9, 2014 8:16:03 PM UTC+1, uukkhh wrote:
              > I am thinking if there exists a plugin for taking notes on particular line/variable/function in the code, so that next time when the cursor is on it, the associated notes could show up in a separate window. And that note does not modify the original source code file. I searched plugins and found some great tools, such as notes.vim, however, it seems not serving the exact purpose needed. I appreciate if anyone would let me know anything similar to what I want.

              Hi,

              The editqf addon (http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3557) might provide the functionality you are looking for. You can add notes in arbitrary files using \n (bound to line number) or \N (bound to line pattern). The notes are stored in quickfix and are easily accessible and browsable using the vim's default functionality.

              You can also save the quickfix list on disk for later use and the addon also allows you to edit entries in the quickfix list.

              Jan Christoph

            • Jeff Schwartz
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 10, 2014
                @Jan Christoph Ebersbach that's an awesome plugin. Much thanks for passing that on.

              • uukkhh
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 10, 2014
                  Thanks, all of you!

                  I am using editqf addon, which is pretty straightforward to my workflow. However, one tiny thing is that when adding a note, it seems only taking one line. But it is not a big deal.

                • Jan Christoph Ebersbach
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 11, 2014
                    On Saturday, January 11, 2014 2:29:36 AM UTC+1, uukkhh wrote:
                    > Thanks, all of you!
                    >
                    > I am using editqf addon, which is pretty straightforward to my workflow. However, one tiny thing is that when adding a note, it seems only taking one line. But it is not a big deal.

                    Yes, that's how it works. Just one line of text is allowed at the moment.

                    Jan Christoph