Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Curious remark about CTRL-V p in cmdline.txt

Expand Messages
  • glts
    Hi list, I ve found something curious in the help. ... I have absolutely not the slightest what CTRL-V p might be. I m probably just being daft. Can anybody
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2014
    • 0 Attachment
      Hi list,

      I've found something curious in the help.

      I look up :h extension-removal and read this:

      > If a "<" is appended to "%", "#", "#n" or "CTRL-V p" the extension of
      > the file name is removed (everything after and including the last '.'
      > in the file name).

      I have absolutely not the slightest what CTRL-V p might be.

      I'm probably just being daft. Can anybody explain, please?

      Thanks a lot,


      --
      David

      --
      --
      You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
      Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
      For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

      ---
      You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
      To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@....
      For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
    • Tim Chase
      ... I figured there must be something in the context, but I confirm that you re the sane one and the docs are a bit wacky there. The only CTRL-V p I was
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2014
      • 0 Attachment
        On 2014-01-06 12:43, glts wrote:
        > I look up :h extension-removal and read this:
        >
        > > If a "<" is appended to "%", "#", "#n" or "CTRL-V p" the
        > > extension of the file name is removed
        >
        > I have absolutely not the slightest what CTRL-V p might be.

        I figured there must be something in the context, but I confirm that
        you're the sane one and the docs are a bit wacky there. The only
        "CTRL-V p" I was able to find in Vim is when you paste while in
        block-wise visual mode (":help v_p"), but that has nothing to do with
        filenames, let alone their extensions.

        Based on the Mercurial repo, this text has been there since roughly
        the original load into Mercurial ("hg blame
        vim/src/doc/cmdline.txt"), so I suspect one would have to dig into
        the older source archive (I don't remember whether it was CVS or SVN).

        My *guess* is that the documentation intends to refer to "<cword>"
        and/or "<cfile>", as below your quoted text you find examples of them
        where I'd expect to see "CTRL-V p" mentioned.

        -tim


        --
        --
        You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
        Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
        For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

        ---
        You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
        To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@....
        For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
      • Tim Chase
        ... Sorry, that path should have been vim/runtime/doc/cmdline.txt (s/src/runtime/) Based on the CVS repository[1], it looks like this may have been here since
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2014
        • 0 Attachment
          On 2014-01-06 16:42, Tim Chase wrote:
          > Based on the Mercurial repo, this text has been there since roughly
          > the original load into Mercurial ("hg blame
          > vim/src/doc/cmdline.txt"), so I suspect one would have to dig into
          > the older source archive (I don't remember whether it was CVS or
          > SVN).

          Sorry, that path should have been vim/runtime/doc/cmdline.txt
          (s/src/runtime/)

          Based on the CVS repository[1], it looks like this may have been here
          since cmdline.txt was initially added/created.

          -tim


          [1]
          http://vim.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/vim/vim/runtime/doc/cmdline.txt?view=annotate#l721

          --
          --
          You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
          Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
          For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

          ---
          You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
          To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@....
          For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
        • glts
          ... You re thorough! I did an hg blame but I didn t think of going back to the roots of Vim 5.5 in CVS ... this makes me wonder, is this the oldest version of
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 7, 2014
          • 0 Attachment
            On Monday, January 6, 2014 11:47:09 PM UTC+1, Tim Chase wrote:
            > On 2014-01-06 16:42, Tim Chase wrote:
            >
            > > Based on the Mercurial repo, this text has been there since roughly
            >
            > > the original load into Mercurial ("hg blame
            >
            > > vim/src/doc/cmdline.txt"), so I suspect one would have to dig into
            >
            > > the older source archive (I don't remember whether it was CVS or
            >
            > > SVN).
            >
            >
            >
            > Sorry, that path should have been vim/runtime/doc/cmdline.txt
            >
            > (s/src/runtime/)
            >
            >
            >
            > Based on the CVS repository[1], it looks like this may have been here
            >
            > since cmdline.txt was initially added/created.
            >

            You're thorough! I did an hg blame but I didn't think of going back to
            the roots of Vim 5.5 in CVS ... this makes me wonder, is this the oldest
            version of Vim still available? I couldn't find anything older than
            Vim 5.5.

            Anyway, I agree that it does now look like a doc bug.

            cc-ed to vim_dev.

            Best,

            --
            --
            You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
            Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
            For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

            ---
            You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
            To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@....
            For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.