"Diff with Vim" not work properly

  • shada
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 4, 2013
      hi all:

         I has use gvim7.4 on win7x64 several years, "Diff with Vim" is frequently used function.  A few days ago, this not work properly. Today, i reinstall gvim7.4, the problem is still.Any idea?

      shada

    • Gary Johnson
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 4, 2013
        On 2013-12-05, shada wrote:
        > hi all:
        >
        >    I has use gvim7.4 on win7x64 several years, "Diff with Vim" is frequently
        > used function.  A few days ago, this not work properly. Today, i reinstall
        > gvim7.4, the problem is still.Any idea?

        Without knowing what you mean by "Diff with Vim" and by "not work
        properly", it is impossible to for us to know what the problem is
        and how to help you.

        Please tell us exactly what commands you used, what results you
        expected, and what results you got instead. Include the full text
        of any error messages you saw.

        Regards,
        Gary

      • shada
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 4, 2013
          no any error message. vim believe the two file is same. actually, different.内嵌图片 1

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 5, 2013
            On 05/12/13 07:12, Gary Johnson wrote:
            > On 2013-12-05, shada wrote:
            >> hi all:
            >>
            >> I has use gvim7.4 on win7x64 several years, "Diff with Vim" is frequently
            >> used function. A few days ago, this not work properly. Today, i reinstall
            >> gvim7.4, the problem is still.Any idea?
            >
            > Without knowing what you mean by "Diff with Vim" and by "not work
            > properly", it is impossible to for us to know what the problem is
            > and how to help you.
            >
            > Please tell us exactly what commands you used, what results you
            > expected, and what results you got instead. Include the full text
            > of any error messages you saw.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Gary

            As shown in the snapshot in shada's reply, that's a desktop shortcut
            specific to the Windows install: if mutt is your mail client, you're
            probably on some Unix-like OS, which explains that you aren't familiar
            with it. (I was on Windows before upgrading to Linux.)

            What's more, I think I've seen something about a very similar problem in
            another thread. If I can find it back I'll mention where, in a further
            reply.

            If you lose your temper at a newspaper columnist, he'll get rich,
            or famous or both.

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 5, 2013
              On 05/12/13 09:05, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
              > On 05/12/13 07:12, Gary Johnson wrote:
              >> On 2013-12-05, shada wrote:
              >>> hi all:
              >>>
              >>> I has use gvim7.4 on win7x64 several years, "Diff with Vim" is
              >>> frequently
              >>> used function. A few days ago, this not work properly. Today, i
              >>> reinstall
              >>> gvim7.4, the problem is still.Any idea?
              >>
              >> Without knowing what you mean by "Diff with Vim" and by "not work
              >> properly", it is impossible to for us to know what the problem is
              >> and how to help you.
              >>
              >> Please tell us exactly what commands you used, what results you
              >> expected, and what results you got instead. Include the full text
              >> of any error messages you saw.
              >>
              >> Regards,
              >> Gary
              >>
              > As shown in the snapshot in shada's reply, that's a desktop shortcut
              > specific to the Windows install: if mutt is your mail client, you're
              > probably on some Unix-like OS, which explains that you aren't familiar
              > with it. (I was on Windows before upgrading to Linux.)
              >
              > What's more, I think I've seen something about a very similar problem in
              > another thread. If I can find it back I'll mention where, in a further
              > reply.
              >

              > Best regards,
              > Tony.

              Ah, there. Not sure it is the same problem, but check the thread
              "Vimdiff, version 7.4 on Windows 7" started on vim_use by Marcio Gil on
              Mon, 12 Aug 2013 05:59:03 -0700 (PDT)

              In case your mailer applies time zones, that's 12:59:03 UTC or 14:59:03
              CEST (Central Europe summer time) on the same day.

              Mate, this parrot wouldn't VOOM if you put four million volts through it!
              -- Monty Python

            • Ben Fritz
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 5, 2013
                On Wednesday, December 4, 2013 11:09:25 PM UTC-6, shada wrote:
                > hi all:
                >
                >    I has use gvim7.4 on win7x64 several years, "Diff with Vim" is frequently used function.  A few days ago, this not work properly. Today, i reinstall gvim7.4, the problem is still.Any idea?
                >

                > shada

                What version of Vim? 7.4.103 fixes a problem with the diff expression in the default _vimrc you get from the installer. If you're using a 7.4 before patch 103 then "out of the box" Vim diff will not work, the diffexpr will fail and no changes will be shown in the diff.

                You can either install a new version ( http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Where_to_download_Vim ) or manually fix your diffexpr in your _vimrc. The fix is that you don't need an extra set of quote characters (") around the entire external diff command call. You only need them around the path to the diff utility and each file argument.

              • shada
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 5, 2013
                  :version
                  VIM - Vi IMproved 7.4 (2013 Aug 10, compiled Aug 10 2013 14:38:33)

                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 5, 2013
                    I install gvim-7-4-110.exe, select 'Add Contextual Menu', but it not creae context menu.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 5, 2013
                      Thank you, this is useful, now work properly.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 6, 2013
                        On Thursday, December 5, 2013 7:47:17 PM UTC-6, shada wrote:
                        > I install gvim-7-4-110.exe, select 'Add Contextual Menu', but it not creae context menu.

                        Yeah, the 32-bit "vim without cream" installer cannot create a context menu item for the 64-bit Windows Explorer.

                      • Ben Fritz
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 6, 2013
                          On Thursday, December 5, 2013 8:18:03 PM UTC-6, shada wrote:
                          > Thank you, this is useful, now work properly.

                          What exactly did you do to get it working?

                        • shada
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 9, 2013
                            modify one line in $home/_vimrc:
                            function MyDiff()
                              if $VIMRUNTIME =~ ' '
                                if &sh =~ '\<cmd'

                            to:

                            function MyDiff()
                              if $VIMRUNTIME =~ ' '
                                if &sh =~ "\<cmd"

                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 9, 2013
                              On Monday, December 9, 2013 2:21:52 AM UTC-6, shada wrote:
                              > modify one line in $home/_vimrc:
                              > function MyDiff()
                              >   if $VIMRUNTIME =~ ' '
                              >     if &sh =~ '\<cmd'

                              > to:
                              >
                              > function MyDiff()
                              >   if $VIMRUNTIME =~ ' '
                              >     if &sh =~ "\<cmd"

                              Ugh. NO. This just makes the test fail so that the broken code that was intended to run doesn't actually run.

                              The correct fix is to remove the extra quotes added inside that test and let shellxquote handle the quoting.

                            • shada
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 10, 2013
                                can give me a full corrent MyDiff?

                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 10, 2013
                                  On Tuesday, December 10, 2013 4:41:42 AM UTC-6, shada wrote:
                                  > 2013/12/10 Ben Fritz <fritzo...@...>
                                  > > On Monday, December 9, 2013 2:21:52 AM UTC-6, shada wrote:
                                  > > > modify one line in $home/_vimrc:
                                  > > > function MyDiff()
                                  > > >   if $VIMRUNTIME =~ ' '
                                  > > >     if &sh =~ '\<cmd'

                                  > > > to:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > function MyDiff()
                                  > > >   if $VIMRUNTIME =~ ' '
                                  > > >     if &sh =~ "\<cmd"

                                  > > Ugh. NO. This just makes the test fail so that the broken code that
                                  > > was intended to run doesn't actually run.
                                  > >
                                  > > The correct fix is to remove the extra quotes added inside that test
                                  > > and let shellxquote handle the quoting.
                                  >

                                  > can give me a full corrent MyDiff?

                                  Here is what is currently installed by default in Vim 7.4.113. The
                                  reset/restore of shellxquote is actually not needed, if you leave that
                                  setting at its default value. It is there in case people have messed
                                  with it to give it a value that won't work.

                                  function MyDiff()
                                  let opt = '-a --binary '
                                  if &diffopt =~ 'icase' | let opt = opt . '-i ' | endif
                                  if &diffopt =~ 'iwhite' | let opt = opt . '-b ' | endif
                                  let arg1 = v:fname_in
                                  if arg1 =~ ' ' | let arg1 = '"' . arg1 . '"' | endif
                                  let arg2 = v:fname_new
                                  if arg2 =~ ' ' | let arg2 = '"' . arg2 . '"' | endif
                                  let arg3 = v:fname_out
                                  if arg3 =~ ' ' | let arg3 = '"' . arg3 . '"' | endif
                                  if $VIMRUNTIME =~ ' '
                                  if &sh =~ '\<cmd'
                                  if empty(&shellxquote)
                                  let l:shxq_sav = ''
                                  set shellxquote&
                                  endif
                                  let cmd = '"' . $VIMRUNTIME . '\diff"'
                                  else
                                  let cmd = substitute($VIMRUNTIME, ' ', '" ', '') . '\diff"'
                                  endif
                                  else
                                  let cmd = $VIMRUNTIME . '\diff'
                                  endif
                                  silent execute '!' . cmd . ' ' . opt . arg1 . ' ' . arg2 . ' > ' . arg3
                                  if exists('l:shxq_sav')
                                  let &shellxquote=l:shxq_sav
                                  endif
                                  endfunction

                                • shada
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 16, 2013
                                    I has replaced MyDiff with your code, now work properly. thank you, Ben Fritz.