Text Editing on an Infinite Plane (A Project)

  • Liang Li
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 25, 2013
      Hey guys!

      Here is a project I've been working on that's nearing completing. Check out the demo at:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c_het11TBo

      It tries to provide a new paradigm for writing massive amounts of prose by simulating an infinite plane via "panning" splits. Tell me what you think!

      Thanks,

      Liang

    • Gautier DI FOLCO
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 27, 2013
        2013/11/26 Liang Li <q335r49@...>
        Hey guys!

        Here is a project I've been working on that's nearing completing. Check out the demo at:

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c_het11TBo

        It tries to provide a new paradigm for writing massive amounts of prose by simulating an infinite plane via "panning" splits. Tell me what you think!

        Thanks,

        Liang

        Hello,

        I think it is an interesting project, it opens many ways, for example: be able to have a graph of windows which represents the structure of a concurrent program based on its modules' interactions.

        Regards.

      • Liang Li
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 27, 2013
          I'm not quite sure what you mean by a "graph of windows"... for me, it was just a way to keep track of memories spatially rather than via a more traditional hierarchical structure. For example, in the future, I Imagine having a "link" that would literally zoom you across the map to another location.

          On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 4:49 AM, Gautier DI FOLCO <gautier.difolco@...> wrote:
          2013/11/26 Liang Li <q335r49@...>
          Hey guys!

          Here is a project I've been working on that's nearing completing. Check out the demo at:

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c_het11TBo

          It tries to provide a new paradigm for writing massive amounts of prose by simulating an infinite plane via "panning" splits. Tell me what you think!

          Thanks,

          Liang

          Hello,

          I think it is an interesting project, it opens many ways, for example: be able to have a graph of windows which represents the structure of a concurrent program based on its modules' interactions.

          Regards.

        • Christopher Sebastian
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 27, 2013
            Why stop at 2D? With a webpage-based implementation it would be easy
            to jump to full 3D text editing capabilities, with more efficient
            panning, zooming, etc.

            If you're only going to do 2D, I don't see much benefit of this script
            compared to vim's standard Window commands, like:

            split
            vsplit
            Ctrl-w h/j/k/l
            Ctrl-w H/J/K/L
            Ctrl-w |

            I have gotten used to the above commands over the years, and I always
            use vim in a "2D" fashion. My vim session typically looks like a grid
            of vim windows, with the horizontal and vertical axes representing
            some kind of logical arrangement for the project.

            ~Christopher Sebastian
            SiChuan, China

          • Liang Li
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 27, 2013
              I write a LOT of prose. For example, right now, over the past month, I have dev-000 ... dev-026. Instead of remembering where everything is (did I have that thought in dev-013?) I would, ideally, remember the things spatially -- the form of the columns, the blanks, and maybe various other landmarks.

              There are mnemonists who say that the quickest way to memorize a deck of cards is by imagining placing them in a house. Again, it's mostly for prose, lots and lots of prose, and not for content with a more natural (and typically hierarchical) organization.

              It is not meant to simulate a 2D or 3D environent for the hell of it, but it is trying to follow up a theory in memory organization. Years ago I had this idea, when I looked through the hundreds of random text fragments I had, all with random names, in a huge folder. And I thought it would be nice if I had one huge text file for all my memories, with a book report on Bolivia next to an essay on Heart of Darkness or something.

              I thought I would have to implement a text editor from scratch, and I thought about things like memory, and ease of navigation, and typing in columns, etc.. So I had this idea, and recently, I realized that it could be implemented quite simply with splits and scrollbind in vim. And so here it is, in beta. I am writing somewhat less now, and so I wish I had it years ago, but I am going to try to work in a system, see what kind of features I need, and so on.

              On Wednesday, November 27, 2013 5:00:29 PM UTC-5, csebastian3 wrote:
              > Why stop at 2D? With a webpage-based implementation it would be easy
              >
              > to jump to full 3D text editing capabilities, with more efficient
              >
              > panning, zooming, etc.
              >

              > If you're only going to do 2D, I don't see much benefit of this script
              >
              > compared to vim's standard Window commands, like:
              >

              > split
              >
              > vsplit
              >
              > Ctrl-w h/j/k/l
              >
              > Ctrl-w H/J/K/L
              >
              > Ctrl-w |
              >

              > I have gotten used to the above commands over the years, and I always
              >
              > use vim in a "2D" fashion. My vim session typically looks like a grid
              >
              > of vim windows, with the horizontal and vertical axes representing
              >
              > some kind of logical arrangement for the project.
              >

              > ~Christopher Sebastian
              >
              > SiChuan, China

            • Gautier DI FOLCO
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 28, 2013

                2013/11/26 Liang Li <q335r49@...>
                Hey guys!

                Here is a project I've been working on that's nearing completing. Check out the demo at:

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c_het11TBo

                It tries to provide a new paradigm for writing massive amounts of prose by simulating an infinite plane via "panning" splits. Tell me what you think!

                Thanks,

                Liang

                Hello,

                I think it is an interesting project, it opens many ways, for example: be able to have a graph of windows which represents the structure of a concurrent program based on its modules' interactions.

                Regards.

                Yes, this is the same idea, applied to another context :)
                I am impatient to see how it will evolve.

              • marttt
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 11, 2014
                  teisipäev, 26. november 2013 8:07.21 UTC+2 kirjutas Liang Li:
                  > Hey guys!
                  >
                  > Here is a project I've been working on that's nearing completing. Check out the demo at:
                  >
                  > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c_het11TBo
                  >
                  > It tries to provide a new paradigm for writing massive amounts of prose by simulating an infinite plane via "panning" splits. Tell me what you think!
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Liang

                  Thanks very much for sharing this. I find it very-very interesting.

                  I only know the basics of Vimscript, but I hacked together a few functions to implement "Niklas Luhmann's Zettelkasten" in Vim (not my blog, but see here about the method: http://takingnotenow.blogspot.com/2007/12/luhmanns-zettelkasten.html). I instantly thought how much easier a "luhmannian" way of note taking would be with your plugin. Must try it, right away.

                  Thanks again, this is a project I'm definitely going to follow.
                  Mart

                • Liang Li
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 13, 2014
                    On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 2:46:23 PM UTC-5, marttt wrote:
                    > teisipäev, 26. november 2013 8:07.21 UTC+2 kirjutas Liang Li:
                    >
                    > > Hey guys!
                    >

                    > > Here is a project I've been working on that's nearing completing. Check out the demo at:
                    >

                    > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c_het11TBo
                    >

                    > > It tries to provide a new paradigm for writing massive amounts of prose by simulating an infinite plane via "panning" splits. Tell me what you think!
                    >

                    > > Thanks,
                    >

                    > > Liang
                    >

                    > Thanks very much for sharing this. I find it very-very interesting.
                    >

                    > I only know the basics of Vimscript, but I hacked together a few functions to implement "Niklas Luhmann's Zettelkasten" in Vim (not my blog, but see here about the method: http://takingnotenow.blogspot.com/2007/12/luhmanns-zettelkasten.html). I instantly thought how much easier a "luhmannian" way of note taking would be with your plugin. Must try it, right away.
                    >

                    > Thanks again, this is a project I'm definitely going to follow.
                    >
                    > Mart

                    Awesome! I'm glad you get it. The system you linked to is very much like mine in the sense that, despite his numbering scheme, it is actually mostly organized by time. Ie, it is a linear numbering scheme and not one based on content. This is why hierarchical note-taking schemes fall apart so quickly, I believe -- categories are very ephemeral in the life of thinking. Raw temporally organized accumulation, and ease of forking, are certainly necessary elements in a robust note-taking system I believe.

                    The index card paradigm is actually how I originally imagined the plane. I split the plane into 'big grids', and each big grid consisting of 3 splits and 45 lines, would be a card. Also, originally, each label on the map was confined to a cell to emphaizes the unity of that card. Lately, however, I've been thinking of moving away from an explicit card system towards a more loose positional system, where the map would just sort of designate a particular region.

                    The other problem is realigning the map when you edit a portion from before, which pushes the later text out of sync. Having some sort of automated realignment is definitely on the todo list.

                    Thanks again for your interest!

                    Liang

                  • Liang Li
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 13, 2014
                      On Thursday, February 13, 2014 3:26:53 PM UTC-5, Liang Li wrote:
                      > On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 2:46:23 PM UTC-5, marttt wrote:
                      >
                      > > teisipäev, 26. november 2013 8:07.21 UTC+2 kirjutas Liang Li:
                      >

                      > > > Hey guys!
                      >

                      > > > Here is a project I've been working on that's nearing completing. Check out the demo at:
                      >

                      > > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c_het11TBo
                      >

                      > > > It tries to provide a new paradigm for writing massive amounts of prose by simulating an infinite plane via "panning" splits. Tell me what you think!
                      >

                      > > > Thanks,
                      >

                      > > > Liang
                      >

                      > > Thanks very much for sharing this. I find it very-very interesting.
                      >

                      > > I only know the basics of Vimscript, but I hacked together a few functions to implement "Niklas Luhmann's Zettelkasten" in Vim (not my blog, but see here about the method: http://takingnotenow.blogspot.com/2007/12/luhmanns-zettelkasten.html). I instantly thought how much easier a "luhmannian" way of note taking would be with your plugin. Must try it, right away.
                      >

                      > > Thanks again, this is a project I'm definitely going to follow.
                      >

                      > > Mart
                      >

                      > Awesome! I'm glad you get it. The system you linked to is very much like mine in the sense that, despite his numbering scheme, it is actually mostly organized by time. Ie, it is a linear numbering scheme and not one based on content. This is why hierarchical note-taking schemes fall apart so quickly, I believe -- categories are very ephemeral in the life of thinking. Raw temporally organized accumulation, and ease of forking, are certainly necessary elements in a robust note-taking system I believe.
                      >

                      > The index card paradigm is actually how I originally imagined the plane. I split the plane into 'big grids', and each big grid consisting of 3 splits and 45 lines, would be a card. Also, originally, each label on the map was confined to a cell to emphaizes the unity of that card. Lately, however, I've been thinking of moving away from an explicit card system towards a more loose positional system, where the map would just sort of designate a particular region.
                      >

                      > The other problem is realigning the map when you edit a portion from before, which pushes the later text out of sync. Having some sort of automated realignment is definitely on the todo list.
                      >

                      > Thanks again for your interest!
                      >

                      > Liang

                      Oh and by the way, the new home of the script is github.com/q335r49/textabyss