Search for the visually select text

  • Paolo Bolzoni
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 15, 2013
      Dear list,
      seldom I need to search specific part of text that are not simply the current
      word (where * is handy). And I instinctively select the part visually, only to
      notice I do not know how to search for it in the whole text.

      Example, assuming the caret is on the beginning of the sequence I want to seek,
      I tend to do:
      vwwe
      and I am stuck. Is there a way to search for what I have selected?

      Thanks,
      Paolo

    • Paolo Bolzoni

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 15, 2013
          Hi Paolo,

          On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 10:42:07 +0100
          Paolo Bolzoni <paolo.bolzoni.brown@...> wrote:

          > Dear list,
          > seldom I need to search specific part of text that are not simply the current
          > word (where * is handy). And I instinctively select the part visually, only to
          > notice I do not know how to search for it in the whole text.
          >
          > Example, assuming the caret is on the beginning of the sequence I want to
          > seek, I tend to do:
          > vwwe
          > and I am stuck. Is there a way to search for what I have selected?

          You can then yank it using «y» and use it in the search bar (after pressing /)
          using Ctrl+R+" or whatever register you've placed it there.

          Regards,

          Shlomi Fish

        • tooth pik
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 15, 2013
            On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 04:44:50PM +0100, Paolo Bolzoni wrote:
            > Dear list,
            > seldom I need to search specific part of text that are not simply the current
            > word (where * is handy). And I instinctively select the part visually, only to
            > notice I do not know how to search for it in the whole text.

            > Example, assuming the caret is on the beginning of the sequence I want to seek,
            > I tend to do:
            > vwwe
            > and I am stuck. Is there a way to search for what I have selected?

            there's probably a quicker/better way but what occurs to me is that you
            could make a two step process out of it -- you already know the first
            step, specifically how to visually select your desired text

            the second step would be to yank it with the 'y' command

            for your locate then you'd start with the '/', and then CTRL-R followed
            by an asterisk will paste what you previously yanked after the '/'

            @* is the default register for yanks and puts

            if you have several strings you search for frequently you could yank
            each into a named register and paste them as desired after your '/'

            see

            :help /
            :help y
            :help i_CTRL-R

            for more details (:help may be abbreviated :h)

            --
            _|_ _ __|_|_ ._ o|
            |_(_)(_)|_| ||_)||<

          • Bee
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 15, 2013
              On Friday, November 15, 2013 1:42:07 AM UTC-8, Paolo Bolzoni wrote:
              > seldom I need to search specific part of text that are not simply the current
              > word (where * is handy). And I instinctively select the part visually, only to
              > notice I do not know how to search for it in the whole text.
              >
              > Example, assuming the caret is on the beginning of the sequence I want to seek,
              > I tend to do:
              > vwwe
              > and I am stuck. Is there a way to search for what I have selected?
              > Thanks,
              > Paolo

              Paolo

              I have substuted my own function in place of *.
              The following is best viewed in a mono-spaced font.
              It works the same as the regular *
              but also works with a selection, even a multiline selection.

              Bill

              nnoremap * g*
              " multi line search -- selection literal :help c_<C-R>
              " substitute({expr}, {pat}, {sub}, {flags})
              vnoremap * y/\c\V<C-R><C-R>=substitute(escape(@@,'/\'),'\n','\\n','g')<cr><cr>
              " '''''' ||| | | | | | | | | | +{flags} g=all
              " '''''' ||| | | | | | | | | +{sub}
              " '''''' ||| | | | | | | | +{pat}
              " '''''' ||| | | | | | | +chars to escape
              " '''''' ||| | | | | | +contents of unnamed register
              " '''''' ||| | | | | +{expr}
              " '''''' ||| | | | +expression register
              " '''''' ||| | | +contents of register LITERALLY
              " '''''' ||| | +contents of register
              " '''''' ||| +VERY nomagic, only \ is magic
              " '''''' ||+ignore case
              " '''''' |+search
              " '''''' +yank selected into unnamed register

            • Karthick Gururaj
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 15, 2013
                On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 9:56 PM, tooth pik <toothpik6@...> wrote:
                > On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 04:44:50PM +0100, Paolo Bolzoni wrote:
                >> Dear list,
                >> seldom I need to search specific part of text that are not simply the current
                >> word (where * is handy). And I instinctively select the part visually, only to
                >> notice I do not know how to search for it in the whole text.
                >
                >> Example, assuming the caret is on the beginning of the sequence I want to seek,
                >> I tend to do:
                >> vwwe
                >> and I am stuck. Is there a way to search for what I have selected?
                >
                > there's probably a quicker/better way but what occurs to me is that you
                > could make a two step process out of it -- you already know the first
                > step, specifically how to visually select your desired text
                >
                > the second step would be to yank it with the 'y' command
                >
                > for your locate then you'd start with the '/', and then CTRL-R followed
                > by an asterisk will paste what you previously yanked after the '/'
                >
                > @* is the default register for yanks and puts
                >
                > if you have several strings you search for frequently you could yank
                > each into a named register and paste them as desired after your '/'
                >
                > see
                >
                > :help /
                > :help y
                > :help i_CTRL-R
                >
                > for more details (:help may be abbreviated :h)
                You can combine these into a vmap,

                :vmap * y/<C-R>"<CR>

                Then after visual selection press '*' like usual for searching for visual text.

              • LCD 47
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 15, 2013
                  On 15 November 2013, Paolo Bolzoni <paolo.bolzoni.brown@...> wrote:
                  > Dear list,
                  > seldom I need to search specific part of text that are not simply the
                  > current word (where * is handy). And I instinctively select the part
                  > visually, only to notice I do not know how to search for it in the
                  > whole text.
                  >
                  > Example, assuming the caret is on the beginning of the sequence I want
                  > to seek, I tend to do:
                  > vwwe
                  > and I am stuck. Is there a way to search for what I have selected?

                  See Drew Neil's vim-visual-star-search and the discussion there:

                  https://github.com/nelstrom/vim-visual-star-search

                  Looking at the (very short) code is interesting too.

                  /lcd

                • Tim Chase
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 15, 2013
                    On 2013-11-15 10:26, tooth pik wrote:
                    > @* is the default register for yanks and puts

                    Just for the record, that should be @" not @* unless you have
                    'clipboard' settings that alter the default behavior.

                    -tim

                  • BPJ
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 15, 2013
                      2013-11-15 17:45, Bee skrev:
                      > On Friday, November 15, 2013 1:42:07 AM UTC-8, Paolo Bolzoni wrote:
                      >> seldom I need to search specific part of text that are not simply the current
                      >> word (where * is handy). And I instinctively select the part visually, only to
                      >> notice I do not know how to search for it in the whole text.
                      >>
                      >> Example, assuming the caret is on the beginning of the sequence I want to seek,
                      >> I tend to do:
                      >> vwwe
                      >> and I am stuck. Is there a way to search for what I have selected?
                      >> Thanks,
                      >> Paolo
                      >
                      > Paolo
                      >
                      > I have substuted my own function in place of *.
                      > The following is best viewed in a mono-spaced font.
                      > It works the same as the regular *
                      > but also works with a selection, even a multiline selection.
                      >
                      > Bill
                      >
                      > nnoremap * g*
                      > " multi line search -- selection literal :help c_<C-R>
                      > " substitute({expr}, {pat}, {sub}, {flags})
                      > vnoremap * y/\c\V<C-R><C-R>=substitute(escape(@@,'/\'),'\n','\\n','g')<cr><cr>
                      > " '''''' ||| | | | | | | | | | +{flags} g=all
                      > " '''''' ||| | | | | | | | | +{sub}
                      > " '''''' ||| | | | | | | | +{pat}
                      > " '''''' ||| | | | | | | +chars to escape
                      > " '''''' ||| | | | | | +contents of unnamed register
                      > " '''''' ||| | | | | +{expr}
                      > " '''''' ||| | | | +expression register
                      > " '''''' ||| | | +contents of register LITERALLY
                      > " '''''' ||| | +contents of register
                      > " '''''' ||| +VERY nomagic, only \ is magic
                      > " '''''' ||+ignore case
                      > " '''''' |+search
                      > " '''''' +yank selected into unnamed register

                      I don't get the idea with the substitute(); would someone please
                      enlighten me? I speak only pidgin vimscript! :-)

                      /bpj

                    • Gary Johnson
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 15, 2013
                        On 2013-11-15, BPJ wrote:
                        > 2013-11-15 17:45, Bee skrev:

                        > >nnoremap * g*
                        > >" multi line search -- selection literal :help c_<C-R>
                        > >" substitute({expr}, {pat}, {sub}, {flags})
                        > >vnoremap * y/\c\V<C-R><C-R>=substitute(escape(@@,'/\'),'\n','\\n','g')<cr><cr>
                        > >" '''''' ||| | | | | | | | | | +{flags} g=all
                        > >" '''''' ||| | | | | | | | | +{sub}
                        > >" '''''' ||| | | | | | | | +{pat}
                        > >" '''''' ||| | | | | | | +chars to escape
                        > >" '''''' ||| | | | | | +contents of unnamed register
                        > >" '''''' ||| | | | | +{expr}
                        > >" '''''' ||| | | | +expression register
                        > >" '''''' ||| | | +contents of register LITERALLY
                        > >" '''''' ||| | +contents of register
                        > >" '''''' ||| +VERY nomagic, only \ is magic
                        > >" '''''' ||+ignore case
                        > >" '''''' |+search
                        > >" '''''' +yank selected into unnamed register
                        > >

                        > I don't get the idea with the substitute(); would someone please
                        > enlighten me? I speak only pidgin vimscript! :-)

                        Since you are searching for a literal string, you want all the
                        characters in that string to represent themselves and not be
                        interpreted specially. For example, if the string contains an
                        asterisk, you want that asterisk to be treated as a literal
                        asterisk, not as zero or more occurrences of the preceding atom.

                        The substitute() is there to escape any characters having special
                        meaning in a search string so that they are treated as their literal
                        forms.

                        Regards,
                        Gary

                      • BPJ
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 15, 2013
                          2013-11-15 22:54, Gary Johnson skrev:
                          > On 2013-11-15, BPJ wrote:
                          >> 2013-11-15 17:45, Bee skrev:
                          >
                          >>> nnoremap * g*
                          >>> " multi line search -- selection literal :help c_<C-R>
                          >>> " substitute({expr}, {pat}, {sub}, {flags})
                          >>> vnoremap * y/\c\V<C-R><C-R>=substitute(escape(@@,'/\'),'\n','\\n','g')<cr><cr>
                          >>> " '''''' ||| | | | | | | | | | +{flags} g=all
                          >>> " '''''' ||| | | | | | | | | +{sub}
                          >>> " '''''' ||| | | | | | | | +{pat}
                          >>> " '''''' ||| | | | | | | +chars to escape
                          >>> " '''''' ||| | | | | | +contents of unnamed register
                          >>> " '''''' ||| | | | | +{expr}
                          >>> " '''''' ||| | | | +expression register
                          >>> " '''''' ||| | | +contents of register LITERALLY
                          >>> " '''''' ||| | +contents of register
                          >>> " '''''' ||| +VERY nomagic, only \ is magic
                          >>> " '''''' ||+ignore case
                          >>> " '''''' |+search
                          >>> " '''''' +yank selected into unnamed register
                          >>>

                          >> I don't get the idea with the substitute(); would someone please
                          >> enlighten me? I speak only pidgin vimscript! :-)
                          >
                          > Since you are searching for a literal string, you want all the
                          > characters in that string to represent themselves and not be
                          > interpreted specially. For example, if the string contains an
                          > asterisk, you want that asterisk to be treated as a literal
                          > asterisk, not as zero or more occurrences of the preceding atom.
                          >
                          > The substitute() is there to escape any characters having special
                          > meaning in a search string so that they are treated as their literal
                          > forms.

                          Of course, but why is '\n' singled out for special treatment?

                          /bpj

                        • Gary Johnson
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 15, 2013
                            On 2013-11-15, BPJ wrote:
                            > 2013-11-15 22:54, Gary Johnson skrev:

                            > >>I don't get the idea with the substitute(); would someone please
                            > >>enlighten me? I speak only pidgin vimscript! :-)
                            > >
                            > >Since you are searching for a literal string, you want all the
                            > >characters in that string to represent themselves and not be
                            > >interpreted specially. For example, if the string contains an
                            > >asterisk, you want that asterisk to be treated as a literal
                            > >asterisk, not as zero or more occurrences of the preceding atom.
                            > >
                            > >The substitute() is there to escape any characters having special
                            > >meaning in a search string so that they are treated as their literal
                            > >forms.
                            >
                            > Of course, but why is '\n' singled out for special treatment?

                            Oh, OK, I wasn't sure what part you didn't get.

                            The escape() function escapes special characters but does not do
                            anything with newlines because they aren't special in that sense.
                            The substitute() replaces any real newlines in the string, which
                            would be there if the string spanned two or more lines, with the
                            two-character pattern '\n', which tells the search to match a
                            newline at those points in the string.

                            Regards,
                            Gary

                          • Sven Guckes
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 15, 2013
                              * Paolo Bolzoni <paolo.bolzoni.brown@...> [2013-11-15 23:31]:
                              > Dear list, seldom I need to search specific part of text
                              > that are not simply the current word (where * is handy).
                              > And I instinctively select the part visually, only to
                              > notice I do not know how to search for it in the whole text.
                              >
                              > Example, assuming the caret is on the
                              > beginning of the sequence I want to seek,
                              > I tend to do: vwwe and I am stuck.
                              > Is there a way to search for what I have selected?

                              dunno. your example does not show anything.

                              but if you simply want to search for
                              what you have previously copied then,
                              the procedure, in short, is this:

                              select, yank, /<c-r>"

                              so select whatever, type 'y' to copy it
                              to the default register, then start
                              searching with '/' and use 'CTRL-R' and '"'
                              to recall/insert the contents from the
                              default register into the search input.
                              and type ENTER to start searching. ;-)

                              see also: :help i_CTRL-R

                              Sven

                            • Bee
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 15, 2013
                                the '/V' means VERY nomagic, only \ is magic
                                so to find a \n the '\' needs to be escaped as '\\n'
                                and being able to find across a newline is important to me.
                                Bill

                              • Bee
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 15, 2013
                                  the '\V' at the beginning means VERY nomagic, so only '\' is magic
                                  to find a '\n' (newline) the '\' needs to be escaped as '\\n'
                                  being able to find across a newline is important to me.
                                  Bill

                                • John Little
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 15, 2013
                                    There's an article in the Vim wiki with almost the same title as your post:

                                    http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Search_for_visually_selected_text

                                    Regards, John Little