Where can I find the original source code for vi as developed by Bill Joy in 1976?

  • DwigtArmyOfChampions
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 14, 2013
      I want to see exactly what vi was like when Bill Joy invented it in 1976. I am a purist.

    • Sven Guckes
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 14, 2013
        * DwigtArmyOfChampions <dwightarmyofchampions@...> [2013-10-15 01:18]:
        > I want to see exactly what vi was like when
        > Bill Joy invented it in 1976. I am a purist.

        vhy do yuh vont tuh knoh zat, huh?

        Sven

        --
        EX/VI sources on BerliOS
        http://ex-vi.berlios.de/ ->

      • Miles Fidelman
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 14, 2013
          DwigtArmyOfChampions wrote:
          > I want to see exactly what vi was like when Bill Joy invented it in 1976. I am a purist.

          Oh, what to do on a holiday... research a silly question like this one.
          Amazing what one finds with a little googling, and a quick trip to the
          WikiPedia page on vi. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vi)

          One ends up finding out that the original vi (as written by Bil Joy) was
          the visual mode of ex-1.1. ex-2.0 included vi as a hard link to ex that
          invoked visual mode on startup. As WikiPedia puts it "Thus, vi is not
          the evolution of ex, vi /is/ ex."

          A little more research leads to the unix archive -
          http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl (among other mirrors).

          Plug ex-1.1 into the search box and you get, lo and behold, the source
          tree for ex-1.1

          Let us know if you manage to build it (1BSD/ex-1.1/makeex) - looks like
          basic c code with not a lot of dependencies. Might even build on a
          modern machine!

          Cheers,

          Miles Fidelman

          In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra