Vim on XP

  • Phil Dobbin
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 11, 2013
      Hi, all.

      After starting with computers in '87 with the now Classic Mac OS & going
      onto OS X in 2000 & Linux in 2005, today I was presented with my very
      first Windows machine (XP Pro) for a project I'm doing.

      The second thing I did after installing Chrome was to install gVim74 &
      place a highly curtailed `_vimrc` & the directory `vimfiles` from the
      result of `:echo $HOME' in the appropriate place.

      I'm wondering if anybody can point me in the right direction of some
      good online resources for Vim on Windows so I can get up to speed
      quickly with regards to plugins, tips & tricks, etc?

      Any help appreciated,

      Cheers,

      Phil...

      --
      currently (ab)using
      Arch Linux, CentOS 5.9 & 6.4, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Spherical

    • Paul Isambert
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 11, 2013
        Phil Dobbin <phildobbin@...> a écrit:
        > After starting with computers in '87 with the now Classic Mac OS & going
        > onto OS X in 2000 & Linux in 2005, today I was presented with my very
        > first Windows machine (XP Pro) for a project I'm doing.

        Poor you. You escaped from Apple, and now you’re stuck with Microsoft...

        > The second thing I did after installing Chrome was to install gVim74 &
        > place a highly curtailed `_vimrc` & the directory `vimfiles` from the
        > result of `:echo $HOME' in the appropriate place.

        That’s how I use gVim on Windows at work.

        > I'm wondering if anybody can point me in the right direction of some
        > good online resources for Vim on Windows so I can get up to speed
        > quickly with regards to plugins, tips & tricks, etc?

        I don’t think there’s anything special, except for those plugins that
        rely on Python or anything else (I have some Lua code which I can’t
        use on Windows because it requires a Lua library that I can’t install
        for some reason). The only thing I can see is to use the Cream
        version, which has a full Vim up-to-date for Windows, unlike the Vim
        for Windows downloadable from the Vim site, which often lags behind.

        (Note: I don’t use many plugins, so perhaps I’m missing something
        important.)

        Best,
        Paul

      • Phil Dobbin
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 11, 2013
          On 11/10/2013 15:09, Paul Isambert wrote:

          > Phil Dobbin <phildobbin@...> a écrit:
          >> After starting with computers in '87 with the now Classic Mac OS & going
          >> onto OS X in 2000 & Linux in 2005, today I was presented with my very
          >> first Windows machine (XP Pro) for a project I'm doing.
          >
          > Poor you. You escaped from Apple, and now you’re stuck with Microsoft...

          Hi, Paul.

          It's only for a couple of months until this contract is finished & I'm
          getting to keep the machine so upon completion it'll have a fresh Linux
          distro installed immediately ;-)

          >> The second thing I did after installing Chrome was to install gVim74 &
          >> place a highly curtailed `_vimrc` & the directory `vimfiles` from the
          >> result of `:echo $HOME' in the appropriate place.
          >
          > That’s how I use gVim on Windows at work.
          >
          >> I'm wondering if anybody can point me in the right direction of some
          >> good online resources for Vim on Windows so I can get up to speed
          >> quickly with regards to plugins, tips & tricks, etc?
          >
          > I don’t think there’s anything special, except for those plugins that
          > rely on Python or anything else (I have some Lua code which I can’t
          > use on Windows because it requires a Lua library that I can’t install
          > for some reason). The only thing I can see is to use the Cream
          > version, which has a full Vim up-to-date for Windows, unlike the Vim
          > for Windows downloadable from the Vim site, which often lags behind.
          >
          > (Note: I don’t use many plugins, so perhaps I’m missing something
          > important.)

          That's the thing: I have over forty plugins & use several different
          colour schemes dependent on file type.

          I guess I'll just keep searching on Google. Something will turn up, I'm
          sure.

          Regards,

          Phil...

          --
          currently (ab)using
          Arch Linux, CentOS 5.9 & 6.4, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Spherical
          & That Damn Cat, OS X Snow Leopard & Tiger, Scientific Linux 6.4, Ubuntu
          Quantal & Raring
          GnuGPG Key : http://phildobbin.org/publickey.asc

        • Ben Fritz
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 11, 2013
            On Friday, October 11, 2013 9:09:13 AM UTC-5, Paul Isambert wrote:
            > Phil Dobbin <phildobbin@...> a écrit:
            >
            > > I'm wondering if anybody can point me in the right direction of some
            >
            > > good online resources for Vim on Windows so I can get up to speed
            >
            > > quickly with regards to plugins, tips & tricks, etc?
            >

            > I don’t think there’s anything special, except for those plugins that
            >
            > rely on Python or anything else (I have some Lua code which I can’t
            >
            > use on Windows because it requires a Lua library that I can’t install
            >
            > for some reason). The only thing I can see is to use the Cream
            >
            > version, which has a full Vim up-to-date for Windows, unlike the Vim
            >
            > for Windows downloadable from the Vim site, which often lags behind.
            >

            > (Note: I don’t use many plugins, so perhaps I’m missing something
            >
            > important.)

            The only "special" thing about Windows is that the config goes in ~/vimfiles instead of ~/.vim. Other than that it should work the same way.

            Oh, and gvim works MUCH better than terminal Vim on Windows.

            You also need to be aware of the following on Windows:

            1. 'shellslash' will let you use forward slashes in many cases, but it can break plugins (because it affects the shellescape() function), break some external commands, and has a few other side effects in some cases
            2. Running external commands which include special characters can be very tricky, but without special characters the default settings should work OK. Relevant settings include 'shellxquote', 'shellcmdflags', 'shellxescape', 'shell', and probably a couple others.
            3. You'll need to find and install tools like ctags yourself
            4. There are problems with the default installed 'diffexpr' function if your installation directory contains spaces, I guess. So if you can't see diffs, take a look there first.

            Finally, the "Cream" build currently only has Python 3 interpretor support, and no others. Steve is hoping to fix that soon, but for now if you want Python2 or Perl or whatever you need to build it yourself.

          • Patterson, Joel
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 11, 2013
              I've been using gvim on windows for awhile not, but just as a vi editor in place of the other text editors.

              However this list is doing lots of things I don't understand, so if you do come across those online resources I would appreciate it if you let me know.

              Not sure how to get started with the 'fancy' stuff.

              Thanks

              Joel Patterson
              Database Administrator
              904 928-2790

              --
              Joel Patterson
              Sr. Database Administrator | Enterprise Integration

              http://www.entint.com/

              http://www.facebook.com/pages/Enterprise-Integration/212351215444231 http://twitter.com/#!/entint http://www.linkedin.com/company/18276?trk=tyah http://www.youtube.com/user/ValueofIT

              This message (and any associated files) is intended only for the use
              of the addressee and may contain information that is confidential,
              subject to copyright or constitutes a trade secret. If you are not the
              copying or distribution of this message, or files associated with this
              message, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in
              error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and
              deleting it from your computer. Messages sent to and from us may be
              monitored. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the
              author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. [v.1.1]

              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 11, 2013
                > Not sure how to get started with the 'fancy' stuff.
                Type :h

                Seriously, first think about what you want to improve, join
                irc.freenode.net channel Vim, ...

                Marc Weber

              • Gary Johnson
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 11, 2013
                  On 2013-10-11, Phil Dobbin wrote:
                  > On 11/10/2013 15:09, Paul Isambert wrote:
                  > > Phil Dobbin a écrit:

                  > >> I'm wondering if anybody can point me in the right direction of some
                  > >> good online resources for Vim on Windows so I can get up to speed
                  > >> quickly with regards to plugins, tips & tricks, etc?
                  > >
                  > > I don’t think there’s anything special, except for those plugins that
                  > > rely on Python or anything else (I have some Lua code which I can’t
                  > > use on Windows because it requires a Lua library that I can’t install
                  > > for some reason). The only thing I can see is to use the Cream
                  > > version, which has a full Vim up-to-date for Windows, unlike the Vim
                  > > for Windows downloadable from the Vim site, which often lags behind.
                  > >
                  > > (Note: I don’t use many plugins, so perhaps I’m missing something
                  > > important.)
                  >
                  > That's the thing: I have over forty plugins & use several different
                  > colour schemes dependent on file type.
                  >
                  > I guess I'll just keep searching on Google. Something will turn up, I'm
                  > sure.

                  Do you have any specific issues with using Vim and your plugins on
                  Windows? I have one directory, named ~/.vim on Unix and ~/vimfiles
                  on Windows, that I use for all my plugins. I use Dropbox and Unison
                  to keep in sync across all the computers I use. There are a few
                  places in my vimrc file where I use conditionals such as 'if
                  has("win32")', but most things work the same in both environments.

                  Regards,
                  Gary

                • Phil Dobbin
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 11, 2013
                    On 11/10/2013 23:39, Gary Johnson wrote:

                    > On 2013-10-11, Phil Dobbin wrote:

                    >>> I don’t think there’s anything special, except for those plugins that
                    >>> rely on Python or anything else (I have some Lua code which I can’t
                    >>> use on Windows because it requires a Lua library that I can’t install
                    >>> for some reason). The only thing I can see is to use the Cream
                    >>> version, which has a full Vim up-to-date for Windows, unlike the Vim
                    >>> for Windows downloadable from the Vim site, which often lags behind.
                    >>>
                    >>> (Note: I don’t use many plugins, so perhaps I’m missing something
                    >>> important.)
                    >>
                    >> That's the thing: I have over forty plugins & use several different
                    >> colour schemes dependent on file type.
                    >>
                    >> I guess I'll just keep searching on Google. Something will turn up, I'm
                    >> sure.
                    >
                    > Do you have any specific issues with using Vim and your plugins on
                    > Windows? I have one directory, named ~/.vim on Unix and ~/vimfiles
                    > on Windows, that I use for all my plugins. I use Dropbox and Unison
                    > to keep in sync across all the computers I use. There are a few
                    > places in my vimrc file where I use conditionals such as 'if
                    > has("win32")', but most things work the same in both environments

                    I have no specific issues, it's merely the fact that apart from the odd
                    occasion I've used Windows in, say, an internet cafe & the likes (& that
                    was just to access a browser), today was for the first time in nearly
                    twenty-seven years of computing that I've used a Win32 machine in anger.

                    You've answered my question basically: apart from subtle naming
                    conventions i.e. _vimrc instead of .vimrc, ~/vimfiles instead of ~/.vim,
                    etc the directory layout is the same & if the plugin runs on Windows,
                    I'm good to go. Thank you.

                    Also, thanks to everybody else who responded. Much appreciated.

                    As a final thought, if anybody knows of a plugin manager similar to
                    Vundle for Windows (I keep all my dotfiles on GitHub), I'd love to hear
                    about it.

                    Cheers,

                    Phil...

                    --
                    currently (ab)using
                    Arch Linux, CentOS 5.9 & 6.4, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Spherical
                    & That Damn Cat, OS X Snow Leopard & Tiger, Scientific Linux 6.4, Ubuntu
                    Quantal & Raring
                    GnuGPG Key : http://phildobbin.org/publickey.asc

                  • William Robertson
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 12, 2013
                      For anyone coming to XP from Mac, first thing to do is enable font smoothing: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306527 (I know not everyone is crazy about antialiasing, but as it's on by default on Mac it's worth a shot on XP).
                      Then switch to the Silver desktop theme: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-xp/help/setup/personalize-windows-xp
                      Then in gVim, change the font to Consolas.

                      I use Windows and some Linux at work and a Mac at home, and I love being able to use the same editor on all of them with only minor differences (e.g. Ctrl-Q is the control key for vertical selection and character escape because Ctrl-V is Paste in Windows - there are a bunch of settings around this in Vim so you should be able to get it how you like it.)

                      http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/gui_w32.html

                    • Nikolay Pavlov
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 12, 2013

                        On Oct 12, 2013 6:21 AM, "Phil Dobbin" <phildobbin@...> wrote:

                        > On 11/10/2013 23:39, Gary Johnson wrote:

                        > >> That's the thing: I have over forty plugins & use several different
                        > >> colour schemes dependent on file type.
                        > >>
                        > >> I guess I'll just keep searching on Google. Something will turn up, I'm
                        > >> sure.
                        > >
                        > > Do you have any specific issues with using Vim and your plugins on
                        > > Windows?  I have one directory, named ~/.vim on Unix and ~/vimfiles
                        > > on Windows, that I use for all my plugins. I use Dropbox and Unison
                        > > to keep in sync across all the computers I use.  There are a few
                        > > places in my vimrc file where I use conditionals such as 'if
                        > > has("win32")', but most things work the same in both environments
                        >
                        > I have no specific issues, it's merely the fact that apart from the odd
                        > occasion I've used Windows in, say, an internet cafe & the likes (& that
                        > was just to access a browser), today was for the first time in nearly
                        > twenty-seven years of computing that I've used a Win32 machine in anger.
                        >
                        > You've answered my question basically: apart from subtle naming
                        > conventions i.e. _vimrc instead of .vimrc, ~/vimfiles instead of ~/.vim,
                        > etc the directory layout is the same & if the plugin runs on Windows,
                        > I'm good to go. Thank you.
                        >
                        > Also, thanks to everybody else who responded. Much appreciated.
                        >
                        > As a final thought, if anybody knows of a plugin manager similar to
                        > Vundle for Windows (I keep all my dotfiles on GitHub), I'd love to hear
                        > about it.

                        VAM (https://github.com/MarcWeber/vim-addon-manager) is known to work under windows. You do need to install some tools (definitely wget or curl and 7zip, optionally, but recommended, git and mercurial; they are all listed in help).

                        Does not Vundle also work there?

                        > Cheers,
                        >
                        >   Phil...
                        >
                        > --
                        > currently (ab)using
                        > Arch Linux, CentOS 5.9 & 6.4, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Spherical
                        > & That Damn Cat, OS X Snow Leopard & Tiger, Scientific Linux 6.4, Ubuntu
                        > Quantal & Raring
                        > GnuGPG Key : http://phildobbin.org/publickey.asc

                        > ---

                      • Phil Dobbin
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 12, 2013
                          On 12/10/2013 13:28, Nikolay Pavlov wrote:

                          > On Oct 12, 2013 6:21 AM, "Phil Dobbin" <phildobbin@...
                          > <mailto:phildobbin@...>> wrote:

                          >> > Do you have any specific issues with using Vim and your plugins on
                          >> > Windows? I have one directory, named ~/.vim on Unix and ~/vimfiles
                          >> > on Windows, that I use for all my plugins. I use Dropbox and Unison
                          >> > to keep in sync across all the computers I use. There are a few
                          >> > places in my vimrc file where I use conditionals such as 'if
                          >> > has("win32")', but most things work the same in both environments
                          >>
                          >> I have no specific issues, it's merely the fact that apart from the odd
                          >> occasion I've used Windows in, say, an internet cafe & the likes (& that
                          >> was just to access a browser), today was for the first time in nearly
                          >> twenty-seven years of computing that I've used a Win32 machine in anger.
                          >>
                          >> You've answered my question basically: apart from subtle naming
                          >> conventions i.e. _vimrc instead of .vimrc, ~/vimfiles instead of ~/.vim,
                          >> etc the directory layout is the same & if the plugin runs on Windows,
                          >> I'm good to go. Thank you.
                          >>
                          >> Also, thanks to everybody else who responded. Much appreciated.
                          >>
                          >> As a final thought, if anybody knows of a plugin manager similar to
                          >> Vundle for Windows (I keep all my dotfiles on GitHub), I'd love to hear
                          >> about it.
                          >
                          > VAM (https://github.com/MarcWeber/vim-addon-manager) is known to work
                          > under windows. You do need to install some tools (definitely wget or
                          > curl and 7zip, optionally, but recommended, git and mercurial; they are
                          > all listed in help).
                          >
                          > Does not Vundle also work there?

                          I'm pretty sure it's *nix specific. I suppose I could fork it & change
                          the necessary paths & whatever else is needed to make it work on Win32
                          but I think I'll try your suggestion of Marc's VAM first.

                          Thanks,

                          Cheers,

                          Phil...

                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 12, 2013
                            On 12/10/2013 09:30, William Robertson wrote:

                            > For anyone coming to XP from Mac, first thing to do is enable font smoothing: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306527 (I know not everyone is crazy about antialiasing, but as it's on by default on Mac it's worth a shot on XP).
                            > Then switch to the Silver desktop theme: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-xp/help/setup/personalize-windows-xp
                            > Then in gVim, change the font to Consolas.
                            >
                            > I use Windows and some Linux at work and a Mac at home, and I love being able to use the same editor on all of them with only minor differences (e.g. Ctrl-Q is the control key for vertical selection and character escape because Ctrl-V is Paste in Windows - there are a bunch of settings around this in Vim so you should be able to get it how you like it.)
                            >
                            > http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/gui_w32.html

                            Thanks, that is extremely useful. I feel really rather dumb for not
                            looking in Vim's own help files in the first place.

                            Cheers,

                            Phil...

                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 12, 2013
                              On Saturday, October 12, 2013 3:30:40 AM UTC-5, William Robertson wrote:

                              > Ctrl-Q is the control key for vertical selection and character escape because Ctrl-V is Paste in Windows

                              This is ONLY true if you source the mswin.vim script somewhere in your config.

                              You shouldn't do that.

                              Although feel free to take a look at what the script does and grab some of the mappings that aren't terrible!

                            • Marc Weber
                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 12, 2013
                                Excerpts from Nikolay Pavlov's message of Sat Oct 12 14:28:40 +0200 2013:
                                > VAM (https://github.com/MarcWeber/vim-addon-manager) is known to work under
                                > windows. You do need to install some tools (definitely wget or curl and
                                > 7zip, optionally, but recommended, git and mercurial; they are all listed
                                > in help).
                                > Does not Vundle also work there?

                                Vundle, Pathogen, ..
                                Of course they all work.

                                The problem is that installing all tools required to get plugins is a
                                lot of work on windowns:
                                curl
                                unzip
                                tar tools (7zip)

                                Thats'why I introduced a proxy which does the work for you:
                                http://vam.mawercer.de/

                                VAM has some additional documentation. Eg we could proivde an initial
                                bootstrap plugin which provides a package manager (such as VAM) and all
                                tools. There were not enough requests to make me work on it, See VAM's
                                documentation.

                                Marc Weber

                              • Phil Dobbin
                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 12, 2013
                                  On 12/10/2013 21:06, Marc Weber wrote:

                                  > Excerpts from Nikolay Pavlov's message of Sat Oct 12 14:28:40 +0200 2013:
                                  >> VAM (https://github.com/MarcWeber/vim-addon-manager) is known to work under
                                  >> windows. You do need to install some tools (definitely wget or curl and
                                  >> 7zip, optionally, but recommended, git and mercurial; they are all listed
                                  >> in help).
                                  >> Does not Vundle also work there?
                                  >
                                  > Vundle, Pathogen, ..
                                  > Of course they all work.
                                  >
                                  > The problem is that installing all tools required to get plugins is a
                                  > lot of work on windowns:
                                  > curl
                                  > unzip
                                  > tar tools (7zip)
                                  >
                                  > Thats'why I introduced a proxy which does the work for you:
                                  > http://vam.mawercer.de/
                                  >
                                  > VAM has some additional documentation. Eg we could proivde an initial
                                  > bootstrap plugin which provides a package manager (such as VAM) and all
                                  > tools. There were not enough requests to make me work on it, See VAM's
                                  > documentation.

                                  Thanks, Marc.

                                  I subsequently found gmarik's VundleForWindows via Google (I seem to
                                  have been under the impression that nothing works on Win32. Possibly
                                  because its reputation precedes it) but I'll certainly check out VAM's docs.

                                  This being a relatively short term project, I've no great inclination to
                                  come to grips with DOS anymore than I have to as I can't see many jobs
                                  like this coming along too often.

                                  Once again, thanks.

                                  Cheers,

                                  Phil...

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 12, 2013
                                    You can always share a directory and edit it from linux/osx instead ..

                                    Marc Weber

                                  • Phil Dobbin
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 12, 2013
                                      On 12/10/2013 22:19, Marc Weber wrote:

                                      > You can always share a directory and edit it from linux/osx instead ..

                                      I keep all my dotfiles including my vimrc in a repo [1] on GiHub & clone
                                      to each machine I work on thereby having exactly the same Vim
                                      environment on every box.

                                      I was kind of hoping to achieve the same scenario with Windows hence my
                                      interest in VundleForWindows (I use Vundle on Linux/OS X).

                                      However, your suggestion has set me thinking it may be easier the way
                                      you describe. Thanks.

                                      Cheers,

                                      Phil...

                                      [1] <https://github.com/horse-latitudes/horse-vimfiles>