auto set

  • shawn wilson
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 10, 2013
      Is there a plugin to try to automatically determine the coding style
      of a file? So, determine tabwidth, soft/hard tab, block style (so if I
      hit { sometimes it needs a line break, sometimes not), etc.

      I want something that tries to automate per file vim settings and not
      something that corrects code style (which is the only thing can find).

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 10, 2013
        On Thursday, October 10, 2013 2:18:35 AM UTC-5, shawn wilson wrote:
        > Is there a plugin to try to automatically determine the coding style
        >
        > of a file? So, determine tabwidth, soft/hard tab, block style (so if I
        >
        > hit { sometimes it needs a line break, sometimes not), etc.
        >

        > I want something that tries to automate per file vim settings and not
        >
        > something that corrects code style (which is the only thing can find).

        There are a few scripts that detect the indent settings for a file. Search the web for "detect indent in Vim" or take a gander at this list:

        http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Indenting_source_code#Related_plugins

        For block style, there is no Vim setting to control that. You insert linebreaks manually unless you set up mappings for it. I don't know of any plugins for this. Maybe one of the many snippet plugins can help you there.

      • LCD 47
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 11, 2013
          On 10 October 2013, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
          > On Thursday, October 10, 2013 2:18:35 AM UTC-5, shawn wilson wrote:
          > > Is there a plugin to try to automatically determine the coding style
          > >
          > > of a file? So, determine tabwidth, soft/hard tab, block style (so if
          > > I hit { sometimes it needs a line break, sometimes not), etc.
          > >
          > > I want something that tries to automate per file vim settings and
          > > not
          > >
          > > something that corrects code style (which is the only thing can
          > > find).
          >
          > There are a few scripts that detect the indent settings for a
          > file. Search the web for "detect indent in Vim" or take a gander at
          > this list:
          >
          > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Indenting_source_code#Related_plugins
          >
          > For block style, there is no Vim setting to control that. You insert
          > linebreaks manually unless you set up mappings for it. I don't know of
          > any plugins for this. Maybe one of the many snippet plugins can help
          > you there.

          Not mentioned in that list, but also relevant I think:

          https://github.com/tpope/vim-sleuth

          /lcd

        • Ben Fritz
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 11, 2013
            On Friday, October 11, 2013 3:29:14 PM UTC-5, LCD 47 wrote:
            > > There are a few scripts that detect the indent settings for a
            >
            > > file. Search the web for "detect indent in Vim" or take a gander at
            >
            > > this list:
            >

            > > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Indenting_source_code#Related_plugins
            >

            > Not mentioned in that list, but also relevant I think:
            >
            > https://github.com/tpope/vim-sleuth

            Thanks! I just added it.

          • shawn wilson
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 11, 2013
              Thanks, I'll look at the three listed there this weekend.