Vimtutor translation

  • João Miguel
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 9, 2013
      Hi folks,

      I use Vim in Portuguese, and its tutor to learn the basics. It really bothered me the way it was translated. It was painful to read, and often to understand! Then I saw it was a Brazilian Portuguese translation, which is awkward, since I selected Portuguese from Portugal and the Portuguese keyboard when installing Ubuntu. With Firefox it is nice Portuguese, but Chrome is the Brazilian version as well.

      I'm getting off-topic though: the point is I would very much like to contribute to a good Portuguese translation, if there isn't one; and get help in getting the appropriate translation, if there already is one.

      Thank you in advance,
      João Miguel

    • Marcin Szamotulski
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 9, 2013
        On 18:50 Wed 09 Oct , João Miguel wrote:
        > Hi folks,
        > I use Vim in Portuguese, and its tutor to learn the basics. It really bothered me the way it was translated. It was painful to read, and often to understand! Then I saw it was a Brazilian Portuguese translation, which is awkward, since I selected Portuguese from Portugal and the Portuguese keyboard when installing Ubuntu. With Firefox it is nice Portuguese, but Chrome is the Brazilian version as well.
        > I'm getting off-topic though: the point is I would very much like to contribute to a good Portuguese translation, if there isn't one; and get help in getting the appropriate translation, if there already is one.
        > Thank you in advance,João Miguel

        > ---

        That's a great idea, I can read when you're done - and check the vim stuff, and learn
        some Portuguese :)

        Best regards,
        Marcin

      • Marcin Szamotulski
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 9, 2013
          On 00:45 Thu 10 Oct , Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
          > On 18:50 Wed 09 Oct , João Miguel wrote:
          > > Hi folks,
          > > I use Vim in Portuguese, and its tutor to learn the basics. It really bothered me the way it was translated. It was painful to read, and often to understand! Then I saw it was a Brazilian Portuguese translation, which is awkward, since I selected Portuguese from Portugal and the Portuguese keyboard when installing Ubuntu. With Firefox it is nice Portuguese, but Chrome is the Brazilian version as well.
          > > I'm getting off-topic though: the point is I would very much like to contribute to a good Portuguese translation, if there isn't one; and get help in getting the appropriate translation, if there already is one.
          > > Thank you in advance,João Miguel
          > >
          > > --
          > > --
          > >
          > > ---
          >
          > That's a great idea, I can read when you're done - and check the vim stuff, and learn
          > some Portuguese :)
          >
          > Best regards,
          > Marcin

          The source tree contains only:
          /runtime/tutor/tutor.pt
          /runtime/tutor/tutor.pt.utf-8

          and both are marked in the first line as pt_BR so it seems that there is
          no Portuguese translation.

          Regards,
          Marcin

        • Alessandro Antonello
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 14, 2013
            Hi, João.

            I see this issue on many software translations. After the grammatical agreement between countries speaking Portuguese languages, many softwares tend to span only one kind of translation. They don't understand that, although the languages are grammatically the same, they are semantically  different. There are more differences between Brazilian Portuguese and Portugal Portuguese then between US English and UK English, IMHO.

            We could ask Bram if it agree with keeping two languages translations for Portuguese: pt_PT and pt_BR. Since there are much more countries speaking Portugal Portuguese than Brazilian Portuguese, we will have a great benefit on that.

            Regards,

            2013/10/9 Marcin Szamotulski <mszamot@...>
            On 00:45 Thu 10 Oct     , Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
            > On 18:50 Wed 09 Oct     , João Miguel wrote:
            > > Hi folks,
            > > I use Vim in Portuguese, and its tutor to learn the basics. It really bothered me the way it was translated. It was painful to read, and often to understand! Then I saw it was a Brazilian Portuguese translation, which is awkward, since I selected Portuguese from Portugal and the Portuguese keyboard when installing Ubuntu. With Firefox it is nice Portuguese, but Chrome is the Brazilian version as well.
            > > I'm getting off-topic though: the point is I would very much like to contribute to a good Portuguese translation, if there isn't one; and get help in getting the appropriate translation, if there already is one.
            > > Thank you in advance,João Miguel
            > >
            > > --
            > > --
            > >
            > > ---
            >
            > That's a great idea, I can read when you're done - and check the vim stuff, and learn
            > some Portuguese :)
            >
            > Best regards,
            > Marcin

            The source tree contains only:
            /runtime/tutor/tutor.pt
            /runtime/tutor/tutor.pt.utf-8

            and both are marked in the first line as pt_BR so it seems that there is
            no Portuguese translation.

            Regards,
            Marcin

          • Bram Moolenaar
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 20, 2013
              Alessandro Antonello wrote:

              > Hi, João.
              >
              > I see this issue on many software translations. After the grammatical
              > agreement between countries speaking Portuguese languages, many softwares
              > tend to span only one kind of translation. They don't understand that,
              > although the languages are grammatically the same, they are semantically
              > different. There are more differences between Brazilian Portuguese and
              > Portugal Portuguese then between US English and UK English, IMHO.
              >
              > We could ask Bram if it agree with keeping two languages translations for
              > Portuguese: pt_PT and pt_BR. Since there are much more countries speaking
              > Portugal Portuguese than Brazilian Portuguese, we will have a great benefit
              > on that.

              If someone can make the Portuguese version then we can add it. The only
              question is which one would be the default. Perhaps Vim is used more
              often in Brazilian Portuguese? It's more about the number of users than
              the number of countries.

              --
              There are three kinds of people: Those who can count & those who can't.

            • Nikolay Pavlov
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 20, 2013

                On Oct 20, 2013 8:02 PM, "Bram Moolenaar" <Bram@...> wrote:

                > Alessandro Antonello wrote:
                >
                > > Hi, João.
                > >
                > > I see this issue on many software translations. After the grammatical
                > > agreement between countries speaking Portuguese languages, many softwares
                > > tend to span only one kind of translation. They don't understand that,
                > > although the languages are grammatically the same, they are semantically
                > >  different. There are more differences between Brazilian Portuguese and
                > > Portugal Portuguese then between US English and UK English, IMHO.
                > >
                > > We could ask Bram if it agree with keeping two languages translations for
                > > Portuguese: pt_PT and pt_BR. Since there are much more countries speaking
                > > Portugal Portuguese than Brazilian Portuguese, we will have a great benefit
                > > on that.
                >
                > If someone can make the Portuguese version then we can add it.  The only
                > question is which one would be the default.  Perhaps Vim is used more
                > often in Brazilian Portuguese? It's more about the number of users than
                > the number of countries.

                Does not it check current locale settings to determine the language?

                > --
                > There are three kinds of people: Those who can count & those who can't.
                >
                >  /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
                > ///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
                > \\\  an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org        ///
                >  \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///

                > ---

              • Anton Shepelev
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 22, 2013
                  Joao Miguel:

                  > I use Vim in Portuguese [...]

                  How do you keep normal-mode commands working without
                  switching to English? Using mbyte-keymap?

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 22, 2013
                    On 22/10/13 11:01, Anton Shepelev wrote:
                    > Joao Miguel:
                    >
                    >> I use Vim in Portuguese [...]
                    >
                    > How do you keep normal-mode commands working without
                    > switching to English? Using mbyte-keymap?

                    I suppose you're joking? On a keyboard for any language using Latin
                    script, from Portuguese to Finnish and from Icelandic to Romanian,
                    typing ASCII is no problem at all. Even when some letters are normally
                    not used in that language, they are almost always still present on the
                    keyboard, if only for foreign proper names; and the "special characters"
                    such as [ ] { } | etc. may be unusual in _texts_ of that language, but
                    _programmers_ (and especially C programmers) speaking that language need
                    them, so they made sure they had access to them, if only with the help
                    of the AltGr key (the Alt key on the right side of the space bar, which
                    on most non-English keyboards is used to produce "strange" characters).

                    BTW, what I'm typing now is on the Belgian version of the AZERTY
                    keyboard layout, similar but not identical to what they use in France.
                    See http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/other/keybbe.htm for
                    details, and for how I have access to an almost incredible wealth of
                    characters thanks to the Shift and AltGr modifiers, used separately or
                    together, and to the concept of "dead keys" (modifier prefixes pressed
                    and released before using another key).

                    For the rare normal-mode commands which I don't find on my keyboard, or
                    which are too awkward for frequent use, I use the :map command with F
                    keys as the {lhs} (e.g. for the Ctrl-] constantly used when navigating
                    the help, I have
                    :map <F9> <C-]>
                    in my vimrc; otherwise it would be Ctrl-AltGr-$ which I know about now,
                    but it took me quite a long time to find that combination when I was
                    learning to use Vim).

                    The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men
                    of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.
                    -- Justice Louis D. Brandeis

                  • BPJ
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 22, 2013
                      2013-10-22 12:14, Tony Mechelynck skrev:

                      > BTW, what I'm typing now is on the Belgian version of the AZERTY
                      > keyboard layout, similar but not identical to what they use in
                      > France. See
                      > http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/other/keybbe.htm for
                      > details, and for how I have access to an almost incredible wealth
                      > of characters thanks to the Shift and AltGr modifiers, used
                      > separately or together, and to the concept of "dead keys"
                      > (modifier prefixes pressed and released before using another key).

                      Have you considered replacing those duplicates with something
                      more useful? It's kind of easy:

                      <http://people.uleth.ca/~daniel.odonnell/Blog/custom-keyboard-in-linuxx11>

                      I've also gotten rid of some of the mathy characters which I
                      hardly ever use. In Vim I use keymaps of course!