Re: ESC key stopped working -- any alternate for menuless vim to get to normal mode?

  • Tao "Shorty Jew Eyes" Joannes
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 8, 2013
      In addition to all the other things mentioned, just figured I'd point out ZZ.

      On Monday, October 7, 2013 7:44:48 PM UTC-7, Suresh Govindachar wrote:
      > Hello,
      >

      > For some unknown reason, my ESC key does not work -- neither on the
      >
      > laptop keyboard nor on an external keyboard. Is there an alternate to
      >
      > make VIM (without any menus) get back to normal mode?
      >

      > Thanks,
      >

      > --Suresh

    • John Little
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 8, 2013
        On Tuesday, October 8, 2013 5:50:41 PM UTC+13, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
        > That scheme, which cannot be achieved by mappings but only by means
        > external to Vim, assumes that the Caps Lock function isn't needed. I use
        > it a lot...

        I (somewhat abashedly) grudgingly admit that a caps lock function is useful, but putting it where it is on the standard keyboard was a crime. When I feel the need, I use an alias to

        xmodmap -e 'add Lock = Scroll_Lock'

        to utilize an otherwise unused key. (System settings sets the key beside A to control.)

        Regards, John Little

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 9, 2013
          On 08/10/13 16:34, Steve Litt wrote:
          > On Tue, 08 Oct 2013 05:54:48 +0200
          > Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
          >

          >> FWIW, my own Esc key is broken (the electronics are OK but the key
          >> itself has come unstuck then got lost). In programs other than Vim I
          >> actuate it, when needed, with the tail end of a teaspoon.
          >
          > Alternatively, keyboards often are sold at garage sales for three bucks
          > apiece, and a lot of them have the layout and feel you like. I'm pretty
          > sure that for this entire century I've been using used keyboards on my
          > daily driver computer, either old Compaqs, or occasionally, old IBM
          > clickety-clacks.

          Never seen a garage sale hereabouts, not to mention a keyboard with a
          Belgian AZERTY layout (
          http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/other/keybbe.htm ) offered in
          one. Are you sure? I use the Esc key (in programs other than Vim) seldom
          enough that I don't feel the need for it, but if I did I would either
          buy a new keyboard or go to a second-hand shop.

          Would you please have another look at my nose and put in that cocaine
          stuff....
          -- Adolf Hitler, quoted by Dr. Giesing in Nuremberg trial
          testimony, 1947

        • Michael Hernandez
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 9, 2013
            > On Oct 9, 2013, at 10:20 PM, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
            >
            >> On 08/10/13 16:34, Steve Litt wrote:
            >> On Tue, 08 Oct 2013 05:54:48 +0200
            >> Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
            >>

            >>> FWIW, my own Esc key is broken (the electronics are OK but the key
            >>> itself has come unstuck then got lost). In programs other than Vim I
            >>> actuate it, when needed, with the tail end of a teaspoon.
            >>
            >> Alternatively, keyboards often are sold at garage sales for three bucks
            >> apiece, and a lot of them have the layout and feel you like. I'm pretty
            >> sure that for this entire century I've been using used keyboards on my
            >> daily driver computer, either old Compaqs, or occasionally, old IBM
            >> clickety-clacks.
            >
            > Never seen a garage sale hereabouts, not to mention a keyboard with a Belgian AZERTY layout ( http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/other/keybbe.htm ) offered in one. Are you sure? I use the Esc key (in programs other than Vim) seldom enough that I don't feel the need for it, but if I did I would either buy a new keyboard or go to a second-hand shop.

            Late to the party here but am I the only one who uses CTRL - [ as an escape "key" 99% of the time? I went weeks with a broken esc key, only changed it when it made pair programming suck.

            --Mike H

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 9, 2013
              On 10/10/13 05:02, Michael Hernandez wrote:

              >> On Oct 9, 2013, at 10:20 PM, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
              >>
              >>> On 08/10/13 16:34, Steve Litt wrote:

              >>> Alternatively, keyboards often are sold at garage sales for three bucks
              >>> apiece, and a lot of them have the layout and feel you like. I'm pretty
              >>> sure that for this entire century I've been using used keyboards on my
              >>> daily driver computer, either old Compaqs, or occasionally, old IBM
              >>> clickety-clacks.
              >>
              >> Never seen a garage sale hereabouts, not to mention a keyboard with a Belgian AZERTY layout ( http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/other/keybbe.htm ) offered in one. Are you sure? I use the Esc key (in programs other than Vim) seldom enough that I don't feel the need for it, but if I did I would either buy a new keyboard or go to a second-hand shop.
              >>

              > Late to the party here but am I the only one who uses CTRL - [ as an escape "key" 99% of the time? I went weeks with a broken esc key, only changed it when it made pair programming suck.

              You're probably not the only one but using Ctrl+[ on my AZERTY keyboard
              means AltGr+Ctrl+(the key right of P) and that's a PITA.

              > --Mike H

              The primary difference [...] is that the Java program will reliably and
              obviously crash, whereas the C Program will do something obscure
              -- Java Language Tutorial

            • Erik Christiansen
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 10, 2013
                On 09.10.13 23:02, Michael Hernandez wrote:
                > Late to the party here but am I the only one who uses CTRL - [ as an
                > escape "key" 99% of the time? I went weeks with a broken esc key, only
                > changed it when it made pair programming suck.

                Quite possibly ... there seem to be so many habits - a testament to the
                flexibility of the platform we use. It is so long since I mapped
                CapsLock to Escape in X, that I now have to do it on any machine I use,
                or chaos reigns. Doing it in X means that the mapping works everywhere,
                even in firefox. Since I generally don't shout, either in emails or
                anywhere else, it is rare that I need more than one capital letter at
                the time - but if I do, then there is ^F, which CAPITALISES the word
                before the cursor, while in insert mode. So who needs CapsLock?

                Erik

                --
                Leibowitz's Rule:
                When hammering a nail, you will never hit your finger if you hold the

              • Michael Hernandez
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 10, 2013
                  > On Oct 10, 2013, at 4:52 AM, Erik Christiansen <dvalin@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> On 09.10.13 23:02, Michael Hernandez wrote:
                  >> Late to the party here but am I the only one who uses CTRL - [ as an
                  >> escape "key" 99% of the time? I went weeks with a broken esc key, only
                  >> changed it when it made pair programming suck.
                  >
                  > Quite possibly ... there seem to be so many habits - a testament to the
                  > flexibility of the platform we use. It is so long since I mapped
                  > CapsLock to Escape in X, that I now have to do it on any machine I use,
                  > or chaos reigns. Doing it in X means that the mapping works everywhere,
                  > even in firefox. Since I generally don't shout, either in emails or
                  > anywhere else, it is rare that I need more than one capital letter at
                  > the time - but if I do, then there is ^F, which CAPITALISES the word
                  > before the cursor, while in insert mode. So who needs CapsLock?

                  Exactly. I use Caps as Ctrl, so my little fingers join forces to produce the Esc sequence. It sounds like more work to press 2 keys to get one "key", but not having to move far from the home row makes a difference. Comes in handy with other console apps as well (vi mode in zsh, wee chat, etc).

                  --Mike H