Re: ESC key stopped working -- any alternate for menuless vim to get to normal mode?

  • Phil Dobbin
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 7, 2013
      On 08/10/2013 05:47, Chris Lott wrote:

      > On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 8:06 PM, Nikolay Pavlov <zyx.vim@...> wrote:
      >> Note: on the keyboard where I have neither Control nor Escape (Motorola
      >> Droid 4 hardware keyboard) I mapped jj to ESC.
      >

      > I found mapping jk (or maybe kj now that I think about it) to ESC
      > works very well under the fingers.

      A very common key combo, which I use myself, for remapping esc is `jj`.
      I even carry that one about in the very limited vimrc I place in all my
      /root directories.

      Cheers,

      Phil...

      --
      currently (ab)using
      Arch Linux, CentOS 5.9 & 6.4, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Spherical

    • Steve Litt
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 8, 2013
        On Tue, 08 Oct 2013 05:54:48 +0200
        Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

        > FWIW, my own Esc key is broken (the electronics are OK but the key
        > itself has come unstuck then got lost). In programs other than Vim I
        > actuate it, when needed, with the tail end of a teaspoon.

        Alternatively, keyboards often are sold at garage sales for three bucks
        apiece, and a lot of them have the layout and feel you like. I'm pretty
        sure that for this entire century I've been using used keyboards on my
        daily driver computer, either old Compaqs, or occasionally, old IBM
        clickety-clacks.

        At a garage sale a few weeks, for three bucks, I got a dual core AMD
        desktop with 1GB RAM and 60GB disk, which I repaired, added RAM to, and
        pressed into duty as a firewall/router/nat. The lady threw in a
        keyboard, and it's one of the sweetest keyboards I've typed on. That
        just might end up being my next daily typer.

        SteveT

        Steve Litt * http://www.troubleshooters.com/
        Troubleshooting Training * Human Performance

      • Tao "Shorty Jew Eyes" Joannes
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 8, 2013
          In addition to all the other things mentioned, just figured I'd point out ZZ.

          On Monday, October 7, 2013 7:44:48 PM UTC-7, Suresh Govindachar wrote:
          > Hello,
          >

          > For some unknown reason, my ESC key does not work -- neither on the
          >
          > laptop keyboard nor on an external keyboard. Is there an alternate to
          >
          > make VIM (without any menus) get back to normal mode?
          >

          > Thanks,
          >

          > --Suresh

        • John Little
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 8, 2013
            On Tuesday, October 8, 2013 5:50:41 PM UTC+13, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
            > That scheme, which cannot be achieved by mappings but only by means
            > external to Vim, assumes that the Caps Lock function isn't needed. I use
            > it a lot...

            I (somewhat abashedly) grudgingly admit that a caps lock function is useful, but putting it where it is on the standard keyboard was a crime. When I feel the need, I use an alias to

            xmodmap -e 'add Lock = Scroll_Lock'

            to utilize an otherwise unused key. (System settings sets the key beside A to control.)

            Regards, John Little

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 9, 2013
              On 08/10/13 16:34, Steve Litt wrote:
              > On Tue, 08 Oct 2013 05:54:48 +0200
              > Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
              >

              >> FWIW, my own Esc key is broken (the electronics are OK but the key
              >> itself has come unstuck then got lost). In programs other than Vim I
              >> actuate it, when needed, with the tail end of a teaspoon.
              >
              > Alternatively, keyboards often are sold at garage sales for three bucks
              > apiece, and a lot of them have the layout and feel you like. I'm pretty
              > sure that for this entire century I've been using used keyboards on my
              > daily driver computer, either old Compaqs, or occasionally, old IBM
              > clickety-clacks.

              Never seen a garage sale hereabouts, not to mention a keyboard with a
              Belgian AZERTY layout (
              http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/other/keybbe.htm ) offered in
              one. Are you sure? I use the Esc key (in programs other than Vim) seldom
              enough that I don't feel the need for it, but if I did I would either
              buy a new keyboard or go to a second-hand shop.

              Would you please have another look at my nose and put in that cocaine
              stuff....
              -- Adolf Hitler, quoted by Dr. Giesing in Nuremberg trial
              testimony, 1947

            • Michael Hernandez
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 9, 2013
                > On Oct 9, 2013, at 10:20 PM, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
                >
                >> On 08/10/13 16:34, Steve Litt wrote:
                >> On Tue, 08 Oct 2013 05:54:48 +0200
                >> Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
                >>

                >>> FWIW, my own Esc key is broken (the electronics are OK but the key
                >>> itself has come unstuck then got lost). In programs other than Vim I
                >>> actuate it, when needed, with the tail end of a teaspoon.
                >>
                >> Alternatively, keyboards often are sold at garage sales for three bucks
                >> apiece, and a lot of them have the layout and feel you like. I'm pretty
                >> sure that for this entire century I've been using used keyboards on my
                >> daily driver computer, either old Compaqs, or occasionally, old IBM
                >> clickety-clacks.
                >
                > Never seen a garage sale hereabouts, not to mention a keyboard with a Belgian AZERTY layout ( http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/other/keybbe.htm ) offered in one. Are you sure? I use the Esc key (in programs other than Vim) seldom enough that I don't feel the need for it, but if I did I would either buy a new keyboard or go to a second-hand shop.

                Late to the party here but am I the only one who uses CTRL - [ as an escape "key" 99% of the time? I went weeks with a broken esc key, only changed it when it made pair programming suck.

                --Mike H

                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 9, 2013
                  On 10/10/13 05:02, Michael Hernandez wrote:

                  >> On Oct 9, 2013, at 10:20 PM, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> On 08/10/13 16:34, Steve Litt wrote:

                  >>> Alternatively, keyboards often are sold at garage sales for three bucks
                  >>> apiece, and a lot of them have the layout and feel you like. I'm pretty
                  >>> sure that for this entire century I've been using used keyboards on my
                  >>> daily driver computer, either old Compaqs, or occasionally, old IBM
                  >>> clickety-clacks.
                  >>
                  >> Never seen a garage sale hereabouts, not to mention a keyboard with a Belgian AZERTY layout ( http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/other/keybbe.htm ) offered in one. Are you sure? I use the Esc key (in programs other than Vim) seldom enough that I don't feel the need for it, but if I did I would either buy a new keyboard or go to a second-hand shop.
                  >>

                  > Late to the party here but am I the only one who uses CTRL - [ as an escape "key" 99% of the time? I went weeks with a broken esc key, only changed it when it made pair programming suck.

                  You're probably not the only one but using Ctrl+[ on my AZERTY keyboard
                  means AltGr+Ctrl+(the key right of P) and that's a PITA.

                  > --Mike H

                  The primary difference [...] is that the Java program will reliably and
                  obviously crash, whereas the C Program will do something obscure
                  -- Java Language Tutorial

                • Erik Christiansen
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 10, 2013
                    On 09.10.13 23:02, Michael Hernandez wrote:
                    > Late to the party here but am I the only one who uses CTRL - [ as an
                    > escape "key" 99% of the time? I went weeks with a broken esc key, only
                    > changed it when it made pair programming suck.

                    Quite possibly ... there seem to be so many habits - a testament to the
                    flexibility of the platform we use. It is so long since I mapped
                    CapsLock to Escape in X, that I now have to do it on any machine I use,
                    or chaos reigns. Doing it in X means that the mapping works everywhere,
                    even in firefox. Since I generally don't shout, either in emails or
                    anywhere else, it is rare that I need more than one capital letter at
                    the time - but if I do, then there is ^F, which CAPITALISES the word
                    before the cursor, while in insert mode. So who needs CapsLock?

                    Erik

                    --
                    Leibowitz's Rule:
                    When hammering a nail, you will never hit your finger if you hold the

                  • Michael Hernandez
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 10, 2013
                      > On Oct 10, 2013, at 4:52 AM, Erik Christiansen <dvalin@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> On 09.10.13 23:02, Michael Hernandez wrote:
                      >> Late to the party here but am I the only one who uses CTRL - [ as an
                      >> escape "key" 99% of the time? I went weeks with a broken esc key, only
                      >> changed it when it made pair programming suck.
                      >
                      > Quite possibly ... there seem to be so many habits - a testament to the
                      > flexibility of the platform we use. It is so long since I mapped
                      > CapsLock to Escape in X, that I now have to do it on any machine I use,
                      > or chaos reigns. Doing it in X means that the mapping works everywhere,
                      > even in firefox. Since I generally don't shout, either in emails or
                      > anywhere else, it is rare that I need more than one capital letter at
                      > the time - but if I do, then there is ^F, which CAPITALISES the word
                      > before the cursor, while in insert mode. So who needs CapsLock?

                      Exactly. I use Caps as Ctrl, so my little fingers join forces to produce the Esc sequence. It sounds like more work to press 2 keys to get one "key", but not having to move far from the home row makes a difference. Comes in handy with other console apps as well (vi mode in zsh, wee chat, etc).

                      --Mike H