ESC key stopped working -- any alternate for menuless vim to get to normal mode?

  • Suresh Govindachar
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 7, 2013
      Hello,

      For some unknown reason, my ESC key does not work -- neither on the
      laptop keyboard nor on an external keyboard. Is there an alternate to
      make VIM (without any menus) get back to normal mode?

      Thanks,

      --Suresh

    • Andrei Olsen
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 7, 2013
        On Tuesday, October 8, 2013 4:44:48 AM UTC+2, Suresh Govindachar wrote:
        > Hello,
        >

        > For some unknown reason, my ESC key does not work -- neither on the
        >
        > laptop keyboard nor on an external keyboard. Is there an alternate to
        >
        > make VIM (without any menus) get back to normal mode?
        >

        > Thanks,
        >

        > --Suresh

        This should help:
        http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Avoid_the_escape_key

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 7, 2013
          On 08/10/13 05:07, Andrei Olsen wrote:
          > On Tuesday, October 8, 2013 4:44:48 AM UTC+2, Suresh Govindachar wrote:
          >> Hello,
          >>

          >> For some unknown reason, my ESC key does not work -- neither on the
          >>
          >> laptop keyboard nor on an external keyboard. Is there an alternate to
          >>
          >> make VIM (without any menus) get back to normal mode?
          >>

          >> Thanks,
          >>

          >> --Suresh
          >
          > This should help:
          > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Avoid_the_escape_key

          Yes, that wiki page has the info almost at the top.

          FWIW, my own Esc key is broken (the electronics are OK but the key
          itself has come unstuck then got lost). In programs other than Vim I
          actuate it, when needed, with the tail end of a teaspoon. In Vim I could
          use Ctrl+[ (the ASCII synonym for Esc, which to Vim is just the same
          thing) except that on this Belgian AZERTY keyboard, [ is AltGr+Dead^
          which makes the Ctrl+[ combo a little awkward to use; so I use Ctrl+C
          instead.

          I've tested this (with a GTK2/Gnome2 GUI-enabled Vim, if it makes any
          difference) in gvim, in vim in konsole (X11 terminal by KDE), and in vim
          in the linux console (pure-text non-X11 terminal); Ctrl-C works
          identically in all three AFAICT.

          It is mentioned at several places in the help that on DOS/Windows,
          Ctrl-Break works the same way too, which allows to use Ctrl-C as the
          {lhs} of a mapping to do something else (e.g. if you use the infamous
          mswin.vim, which remaps Ctrl-C to copy-to-clipboard, i.e. "+y or similar).

          Cure the disease and kill the patient.
          -- Francis Bacon

        • Nikolay Pavlov
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 7, 2013

            On Oct 8, 2013 7:55 AM, "Tony Mechelynck" <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

            > On 08/10/13 05:07, Andrei Olsen wrote:
            >>
            >> On Tuesday, October 8, 2013 4:44:48 AM UTC+2, Suresh Govindachar wrote:
            >>>
            >>> Hello,
            >>>

            >>> For some unknown reason, my ESC key does not work -- neither on the
            >>>
            >>> laptop keyboard nor on an external keyboard.  Is there an alternate to
            >>>
            >>> make VIM (without any menus) get back to normal mode?
            >>>

            >>> Thanks,
            >>>

            >>> --Suresh
            >>

            >> This should help:
            >> http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Avoid_the_escape_key
            >>

            > Yes, that wiki page has the info almost at the top.
            >
            > FWIW, my own Esc key is broken (the electronics are OK but the key itself has come unstuck then got lost). In programs other than Vim I actuate it, when needed, with the tail end of a teaspoon. In Vim I could use Ctrl+[ (the ASCII synonym for Esc, which to Vim is just the same thing) except that on this Belgian AZERTY keyboard, [ is AltGr+Dead^ which makes the Ctrl+[ combo a little awkward to use; so I use Ctrl+C instead.

            The CTRL-C has a known disadvantage of not triggering abbreviations and InsertLeave event.

            I would really suggest to switch to my scheme where ESC is located on left Control and Left Control is located on Caps Lock, no matter whether or not your escape key works: this is more convenient variant to work.

            Note: on the keyboard where I have neither Control nor Escape (Motorola Droid 4 hardware keyboard) I mapped jj to ESC. Control though is configured to reside on Volume Up (VimTouch setting).

            > I've tested this (with a GTK2/Gnome2 GUI-enabled Vim, if it makes any difference) in gvim, in vim in konsole (X11 terminal by KDE), and in vim in the linux console (pure-text non-X11 terminal); Ctrl-C works identically in all three AFAICT.
            >
            > It is mentioned at several places in the help that on DOS/Windows, Ctrl-Break works the same way too, which allows to use Ctrl-C as the {lhs} of a mapping to do something else (e.g. if you use the infamous mswin.vim, which remaps Ctrl-C to copy-to-clipboard, i.e. "+y or similar).
            >
            > Best regards,
            > Tony.
            > --
            > Cure the disease and kill the patient.
            >                 -- Francis Bacon

          • Chris Lott
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 7, 2013
              On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 8:06 PM, Nikolay Pavlov <zyx.vim@...> wrote:
              > Note: on the keyboard where I have neither Control nor Escape (Motorola
              > Droid 4 hardware keyboard) I mapped jj to ESC.

              I found mapping jk (or maybe kj now that I think about it) to ESC
              works very well under the fingers.

              Chris Lott <chris@...>

              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 7, 2013
                On 08/10/13 06:06, Nikolay Pavlov wrote:
                > The CTRL-C has a known disadvantage of not triggering abbreviations and
                > InsertLeave event.
                >
                > I would really suggest to switch to my scheme where ESC is located on
                > left Control and Left Control is located on Caps Lock, no matter whether
                > or not your escape key works: this is more convenient variant to work.

                That scheme, which cannot be achieved by mappings but only by means
                external to Vim, assumes that the Caps Lock function isn't needed. I use
                it a lot: in my previous mail (and in this sentence) to type the word
                AZERTY, in comments to bug reports whan talking about a bug which was
                RESOLVED WONTFIX, when typing the "official" name (which is in all-caps)
                of some Unicode codepoint, etc. etc. etc. Also I like the Ctrl key where
                it is, on the left & right bottom corners of the "typewriter" part of
                the keyboard, just below Shift and (on the left side) horizontally close
                to Alt, (on the right side) horizontally close to the arrow keys. In
                fact, on keyboards where the Esc key works, the location _I_ prefer for
                it is the default, conveniently out of the way in the far top left
                corner, where I won't hit it by mistake even when typing fast and a
                little off-target.

                Matter of personal preference of course; and one thing I like about Vim
                is that different people can use different procedures to achieve the
                same results. Use what suits you best; just don't imagine that it is
                "more convenient" for everyone.

                > Note: on the keyboard where I have neither Control nor Escape (Motorola
                > Droid 4 hardware keyboard) I mapped jj to ESC. Control though is
                > configured to reside on Volume Up (VimTouch setting).

                32. You don't know what sex three of your closest friends are, because they
                have neutral nicknames and you never bothered to ask.

              • Phil Dobbin
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 7, 2013
                  On 08/10/2013 05:47, Chris Lott wrote:

                  > On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 8:06 PM, Nikolay Pavlov <zyx.vim@...> wrote:
                  >> Note: on the keyboard where I have neither Control nor Escape (Motorola
                  >> Droid 4 hardware keyboard) I mapped jj to ESC.
                  >

                  > I found mapping jk (or maybe kj now that I think about it) to ESC
                  > works very well under the fingers.

                  A very common key combo, which I use myself, for remapping esc is `jj`.
                  I even carry that one about in the very limited vimrc I place in all my
                  /root directories.

                  Cheers,

                  Phil...

                  --
                  currently (ab)using
                  Arch Linux, CentOS 5.9 & 6.4, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Spherical

                • Steve Litt
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 8, 2013
                    On Tue, 08 Oct 2013 05:54:48 +0200
                    Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

                    > FWIW, my own Esc key is broken (the electronics are OK but the key
                    > itself has come unstuck then got lost). In programs other than Vim I
                    > actuate it, when needed, with the tail end of a teaspoon.

                    Alternatively, keyboards often are sold at garage sales for three bucks
                    apiece, and a lot of them have the layout and feel you like. I'm pretty
                    sure that for this entire century I've been using used keyboards on my
                    daily driver computer, either old Compaqs, or occasionally, old IBM
                    clickety-clacks.

                    At a garage sale a few weeks, for three bucks, I got a dual core AMD
                    desktop with 1GB RAM and 60GB disk, which I repaired, added RAM to, and
                    pressed into duty as a firewall/router/nat. The lady threw in a
                    keyboard, and it's one of the sweetest keyboards I've typed on. That
                    just might end up being my next daily typer.

                    SteveT

                    Steve Litt * http://www.troubleshooters.com/
                    Troubleshooting Training * Human Performance

                  • Tao "Shorty Jew Eyes" Joannes
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 8, 2013
                      In addition to all the other things mentioned, just figured I'd point out ZZ.

                      On Monday, October 7, 2013 7:44:48 PM UTC-7, Suresh Govindachar wrote:
                      > Hello,
                      >

                      > For some unknown reason, my ESC key does not work -- neither on the
                      >
                      > laptop keyboard nor on an external keyboard. Is there an alternate to
                      >
                      > make VIM (without any menus) get back to normal mode?
                      >

                      > Thanks,
                      >

                      > --Suresh

                    • John Little
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 8, 2013
                        On Tuesday, October 8, 2013 5:50:41 PM UTC+13, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
                        > That scheme, which cannot be achieved by mappings but only by means
                        > external to Vim, assumes that the Caps Lock function isn't needed. I use
                        > it a lot...

                        I (somewhat abashedly) grudgingly admit that a caps lock function is useful, but putting it where it is on the standard keyboard was a crime. When I feel the need, I use an alias to

                        xmodmap -e 'add Lock = Scroll_Lock'

                        to utilize an otherwise unused key. (System settings sets the key beside A to control.)

                        Regards, John Little

                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 9, 2013
                          On 08/10/13 16:34, Steve Litt wrote:
                          > On Tue, 08 Oct 2013 05:54:48 +0200
                          > Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
                          >

                          >> FWIW, my own Esc key is broken (the electronics are OK but the key
                          >> itself has come unstuck then got lost). In programs other than Vim I
                          >> actuate it, when needed, with the tail end of a teaspoon.
                          >
                          > Alternatively, keyboards often are sold at garage sales for three bucks
                          > apiece, and a lot of them have the layout and feel you like. I'm pretty
                          > sure that for this entire century I've been using used keyboards on my
                          > daily driver computer, either old Compaqs, or occasionally, old IBM
                          > clickety-clacks.

                          Never seen a garage sale hereabouts, not to mention a keyboard with a
                          Belgian AZERTY layout (
                          http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/other/keybbe.htm ) offered in
                          one. Are you sure? I use the Esc key (in programs other than Vim) seldom
                          enough that I don't feel the need for it, but if I did I would either
                          buy a new keyboard or go to a second-hand shop.

                          Would you please have another look at my nose and put in that cocaine
                          stuff....
                          -- Adolf Hitler, quoted by Dr. Giesing in Nuremberg trial
                          testimony, 1947

                        • Michael Hernandez
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 9, 2013
                            > On Oct 9, 2013, at 10:20 PM, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
                            >
                            >> On 08/10/13 16:34, Steve Litt wrote:
                            >> On Tue, 08 Oct 2013 05:54:48 +0200
                            >> Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
                            >>

                            >>> FWIW, my own Esc key is broken (the electronics are OK but the key
                            >>> itself has come unstuck then got lost). In programs other than Vim I
                            >>> actuate it, when needed, with the tail end of a teaspoon.
                            >>
                            >> Alternatively, keyboards often are sold at garage sales for three bucks
                            >> apiece, and a lot of them have the layout and feel you like. I'm pretty
                            >> sure that for this entire century I've been using used keyboards on my
                            >> daily driver computer, either old Compaqs, or occasionally, old IBM
                            >> clickety-clacks.
                            >
                            > Never seen a garage sale hereabouts, not to mention a keyboard with a Belgian AZERTY layout ( http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/other/keybbe.htm ) offered in one. Are you sure? I use the Esc key (in programs other than Vim) seldom enough that I don't feel the need for it, but if I did I would either buy a new keyboard or go to a second-hand shop.

                            Late to the party here but am I the only one who uses CTRL - [ as an escape "key" 99% of the time? I went weeks with a broken esc key, only changed it when it made pair programming suck.

                            --Mike H

                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 9, 2013
                              On 10/10/13 05:02, Michael Hernandez wrote:

                              >> On Oct 9, 2013, at 10:20 PM, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
                              >>
                              >>> On 08/10/13 16:34, Steve Litt wrote:

                              >>> Alternatively, keyboards often are sold at garage sales for three bucks
                              >>> apiece, and a lot of them have the layout and feel you like. I'm pretty
                              >>> sure that for this entire century I've been using used keyboards on my
                              >>> daily driver computer, either old Compaqs, or occasionally, old IBM
                              >>> clickety-clacks.
                              >>
                              >> Never seen a garage sale hereabouts, not to mention a keyboard with a Belgian AZERTY layout ( http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/other/keybbe.htm ) offered in one. Are you sure? I use the Esc key (in programs other than Vim) seldom enough that I don't feel the need for it, but if I did I would either buy a new keyboard or go to a second-hand shop.
                              >>

                              > Late to the party here but am I the only one who uses CTRL - [ as an escape "key" 99% of the time? I went weeks with a broken esc key, only changed it when it made pair programming suck.

                              You're probably not the only one but using Ctrl+[ on my AZERTY keyboard
                              means AltGr+Ctrl+(the key right of P) and that's a PITA.

                              > --Mike H

                              The primary difference [...] is that the Java program will reliably and
                              obviously crash, whereas the C Program will do something obscure
                              -- Java Language Tutorial

                            • Erik Christiansen
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 10, 2013
                                On 09.10.13 23:02, Michael Hernandez wrote:
                                > Late to the party here but am I the only one who uses CTRL - [ as an
                                > escape "key" 99% of the time? I went weeks with a broken esc key, only
                                > changed it when it made pair programming suck.

                                Quite possibly ... there seem to be so many habits - a testament to the
                                flexibility of the platform we use. It is so long since I mapped
                                CapsLock to Escape in X, that I now have to do it on any machine I use,
                                or chaos reigns. Doing it in X means that the mapping works everywhere,
                                even in firefox. Since I generally don't shout, either in emails or
                                anywhere else, it is rare that I need more than one capital letter at
                                the time - but if I do, then there is ^F, which CAPITALISES the word
                                before the cursor, while in insert mode. So who needs CapsLock?

                                Erik

                                --
                                Leibowitz's Rule:
                                When hammering a nail, you will never hit your finger if you hold the

                              • Michael Hernandez
                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 10, 2013
                                  > On Oct 10, 2013, at 4:52 AM, Erik Christiansen <dvalin@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> On 09.10.13 23:02, Michael Hernandez wrote:
                                  >> Late to the party here but am I the only one who uses CTRL - [ as an
                                  >> escape "key" 99% of the time? I went weeks with a broken esc key, only
                                  >> changed it when it made pair programming suck.
                                  >
                                  > Quite possibly ... there seem to be so many habits - a testament to the
                                  > flexibility of the platform we use. It is so long since I mapped
                                  > CapsLock to Escape in X, that I now have to do it on any machine I use,
                                  > or chaos reigns. Doing it in X means that the mapping works everywhere,
                                  > even in firefox. Since I generally don't shout, either in emails or
                                  > anywhere else, it is rare that I need more than one capital letter at
                                  > the time - but if I do, then there is ^F, which CAPITALISES the word
                                  > before the cursor, while in insert mode. So who needs CapsLock?

                                  Exactly. I use Caps as Ctrl, so my little fingers join forces to produce the Esc sequence. It sounds like more work to press 2 keys to get one "key", but not having to move far from the home row makes a difference. Comes in handy with other console apps as well (vi mode in zsh, wee chat, etc).

                                  --Mike H