Re: Latest failed compilation

  • Gregory M. Caughey
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2013
      On 9/29/2013 1:25 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      > On 29/09/13 20:40, Gregory M. Caughey wrote:

      >>> There seems to be a conflict between Cygwin headers and Vim headers.
      >>> Could you paste lines 4951 and 5090 of /usr/include/w32api/winnt.h (as
      >>> seen from Cygwin bash) into a reply email please?
      >>>

      >>> Best regards,
      >>> Tony.
      >> Hope this is what you're looking for.
      >>
      >> Thanks, Greg
      >>
      > In my Vim for GTK2/Gnome2, cscope finds the Status identifier as follows:
      > - defined by typedef at
      > /usr/include/X11/SM/SMlib.h line 168
      > /usr/include/X11/SM/SMlib.h line 306
      > /usr/include/X11/ICE/ICElib.h line 163
      > - defined by #define at
      > /usr/include/X11/Xlib.h line 87
      > /usr/include/X11/ICE/ICElib.h line 36
      > - used 77 times; the Vim sources among them (as opposed to system
      > include files) are:
      > src/gui_x11.c line 775
      > src/if_xcmdsrv.c line 266
      > src/os_unix.c line 1858
      > src/os_unix.c line 1923
      >
      > In all cases (and also in system include files) I see that identifier
      > used as a type, which conflicts with its use as a data-name in your
      > /usr/include/w32api/winnt.h which is indirectly included by the line
      >
      > # include <windows.h>
      >
      > at line 86 of src/mbyte.c and within the range of an #ifdef WIN32UNIX.
      > The only #include earlier in the same source file is for "vim.h" with
      > quotes.
      >
      > Bram, do you think we _can_ avoid this conflict, considering that the
      > conflicting definitions are both in system include files?
      >

      > Best regards,
      > Tony.
      Have just attempted to compile "vim-7.4.046" and it bombed at the same
      location and error message as I described earlier in this thread. Since
      it appears nobody else is having this problem, I will assume for the
      moment there is a problem with my current CYGWIN installation. I quess
      I'll try downgrading several packages and see if this solves this issue.

      v/r,
      Greg

    • Gregory M. Caughey
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2013
        On 10/2/2013 8:03 AM, Gregory M. Caughey wrote:
        > On 9/29/2013 1:25 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

        >>> Hope this is what you're looking for.
        >>>
        >>> Thanks, Greg
        >>>
        >> In my Vim for GTK2/Gnome2, cscope finds the Status identifier as
        >> follows:
        >> - defined by typedef at
        >> /usr/include/X11/SM/SMlib.h line 168
        >> /usr/include/X11/SM/SMlib.h line 306
        >> /usr/include/X11/ICE/ICElib.h line 163
        >> - defined by #define at
        >> /usr/include/X11/Xlib.h line 87
        >> /usr/include/X11/ICE/ICElib.h line 36
        >> - used 77 times; the Vim sources among them (as opposed to system
        >> include files) are:
        >> src/gui_x11.c line 775
        >> src/if_xcmdsrv.c line 266
        >> src/os_unix.c line 1858
        >> src/os_unix.c line 1923
        >>
        >> In all cases (and also in system include files) I see that identifier
        >> used as a type, which conflicts with its use as a data-name in your
        >> /usr/include/w32api/winnt.h which is indirectly included by the line
        >>
        >> # include <windows.h>
        >>
        >> at line 86 of src/mbyte.c and within the range of an #ifdef
        >> WIN32UNIX. The only #include earlier in the same source file is for
        >> "vim.h" with quotes.
        >>
        >> Bram, do you think we _can_ avoid this conflict, considering that the
        >> conflicting definitions are both in system include files?
        >>

        >> Best regards,
        >> Tony.
        > Have just attempted to compile "vim-7.4.046" and it bombed at the same
        > location and error message as I described earlier in this thread.
        > Since it appears nobody else is having this problem, I will assume for
        > the moment there is a problem with my current CYGWIN installation. I
        > quess I'll try downgrading several packages and see if this solves
        > this issue.
        >
        > v/r,
        > Greg

        This problem is apparently only related to my building of the GUI
        version. Disabling the GUI stuff is allowing the compilation to complete
        error free.

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 3, 2013
          On 03/10/13 00:18, Gregory M. Caughey wrote:
          > On 10/2/2013 8:03 AM, Gregory M. Caughey wrote:

          >>> In my Vim for GTK2/Gnome2, cscope finds the Status identifier as
          >>> follows:
          >>> - defined by typedef at
          >>> /usr/include/X11/SM/SMlib.h line 168
          >>> /usr/include/X11/SM/SMlib.h line 306
          >>> /usr/include/X11/ICE/ICElib.h line 163
          >>> - defined by #define at
          >>> /usr/include/X11/Xlib.h line 87
          >>> /usr/include/X11/ICE/ICElib.h line 36
          >>> - used 77 times; the Vim sources among them (as opposed to system
          >>> include files) are:
          >>> src/gui_x11.c line 775
          >>> src/if_xcmdsrv.c line 266
          >>> src/os_unix.c line 1858
          >>> src/os_unix.c line 1923
          >>>
          >>> In all cases (and also in system include files) I see that identifier
          >>> used as a type, which conflicts with its use as a data-name in your
          >>> /usr/include/w32api/winnt.h which is indirectly included by the line
          >>>
          >>> # include <windows.h>
          >>>
          >>> at line 86 of src/mbyte.c and within the range of an #ifdef
          >>> WIN32UNIX. The only #include earlier in the same source file is for
          >>> "vim.h" with quotes.
          >>>
          >>> Bram, do you think we _can_ avoid this conflict, considering that the
          >>> conflicting definitions are both in system include files?
          >>>

          >>> Best regards,
          >>> Tony.
          >> Have just attempted to compile "vim-7.4.046" and it bombed at the same
          >> location and error message as I described earlier in this thread.
          >> Since it appears nobody else is having this problem, I will assume for
          >> the moment there is a problem with my current CYGWIN installation. I
          >> quess I'll try downgrading several packages and see if this solves
          >> this issue.
          >>
          >> v/r,
          >> Greg
          >>
          > This problem is apparently only related to my building of the GUI
          > version. Disabling the GUI stuff is allowing the compilation to complete
          > error free.

          Aha! Well, gvim for Cygwin (to be run with the Cygwin DLL) is meant to
          be used under X11, which is not very practical on Windows. OTOH, Vim can
          also be compiled _on_ Cygwin (or MinGW) _for_ native Windows using the
          src/make_cyg.mak (or src/make_ming.mak) makefile: such executables run
          on any Windows system with no need for either X11 or the Cygwin DLL at
          run-time. IIUC, "Vim without Cream"
          http://sourceforge.net/projects/cream/files/Vim/ is compiled in that
          way; as of this writing, its latest version is a 7.4.27 compiled
          2013-09-19. For comparison, the very latest patchlevel published by Bram
          Wednesday -day before yesterday- is 7.4.50, and you'll find a
          single-line summary of every 7.4 patchlevel at
          http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/7.4/README (or by FTP at the same
          address).

          Do not dry clean.