Vim and Lilypond setup

  • Kevin Tough
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2013
      I have written the following block of text to Fedora forums and received
      a partial answer. Following the curly bracketed text block is a further
      question perhaps best answered by the talented folks here.

      {{

      I am just starting a school for children to learn English and guitar at
      the same time here in Germany. I've spent many hours trying to evaluate
      my options with the commercial software "GuitarPro" in comparison to
      using Tuxguitar and Lilypond. Tuxguitar appears to be "dead in the
      water" and does not correctly output input files for Lilypond.

      In searching for the reason why vim7.4 does not highlight Lilypond
      source files in Fedora 19 I have run into some confusion. The Lilypond
      website:

      http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Do...editor-support

      suggests an entry into .vimrc such as:

      filetype off
      set runtimepath+=/usr/local/share/lilypond/current/vim/
      filetype on

      A bug report says that perhaps the above code should have the line
      "syntax on" following to be correct.

      With the Fedora Software Manager I have installed "Lilypond 2.16.2". In
      the installed directory /usr/share/lilypond there is no such vim
      directory present??? I am suspecting, without much knowledge, that they
      wish to provide their own vim scripts because they change their syntax
      often. Could it be??? If so where is the directory?

      Otherwise, my now old .../vim/vim73/syntax directory has only the three
      files left in it; lilypond.vim, lilypond-words, and lilypond-words.vim.
      I suspect the software manager may not have installed the files to the
      correct directory, vim74, as I have only recently installed Lilypond. I
      have copied the files to the vim74/syntax directory but the highlighting
      appears to be very limited without change. Comments and quotes are
      highlighted but not much more! In the lilypond.vim file a maintainer is
      mentioned: Heikki Junes but the Email address is no longer used
      "hjunes@...".

      I would greatly appreciate advice on how to configure vim for Lilypond
      in Fedora 19.

      }}

      Frescobaldi is an application, editor with a pre-view window for
      Lilypond *.pdf files. Has anyone experience with using Gvim or vim to
      acomplish the same thing using our favorite editor?

      Namaste,

      Kevin Tough

    • glts
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 30, 2013
        On Monday, September 30, 2013 7:40:25 PM UTC+2, ke...@... wrote:
        > I have written the following block of text to Fedora forums and received
        > a partial answer. Following the curly bracketed text block is a further
        > question perhaps best answered by the talented folks here.
        >
        > {{
        >
        > I am just starting a school for children to learn English and guitar at
        > the same time here in Germany. I've spent many hours trying to evaluate
        > my options with the commercial software "GuitarPro" in comparison to
        > using Tuxguitar and Lilypond. Tuxguitar appears to be "dead in the
        > water" and does not correctly output input files for Lilypond.
        >
        > In searching for the reason why vim7.4 does not highlight Lilypond
        > source files in Fedora 19 I have run into some confusion. The Lilypond
        > website:
        >
        > http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Do...editor-support
        >
        > suggests an entry into .vimrc such as:
        >

        > filetype off
        > set runtimepath+=/usr/local/share/lilypond/current/vim/
        > filetype on
        >
        > A bug report says that perhaps the above code should have the line
        > "syntax on" following to be correct.
        >
        > With the Fedora Software Manager I have installed "Lilypond 2.16.2". In
        > the installed directory /usr/share/lilypond there is no such vim
        > directory present??? I am suspecting, without much knowledge, that they
        > wish to provide their own vim scripts because they change their syntax
        > often. Could it be??? If so where is the directory?
        >
        > Otherwise, my now old .../vim/vim73/syntax directory has only the three
        > files left in it; lilypond.vim, lilypond-words, and lilypond-words.vim.
        > I suspect the software manager may not have installed the files to the
        > correct directory, vim74, as I have only recently installed Lilypond. I
        > have copied the files to the vim74/syntax directory but the highlighting
        > appears to be very limited without change. Comments and quotes are
        > highlighted but not much more! In the lilypond.vim file a maintainer is
        > mentioned: Heikki Junes but the Email address is no longer used
        > "hjunes@...".
        >
        > I would greatly appreciate advice on how to configure vim for Lilypond
        > in Fedora 19.
        >
        > }}

        See this other mailing list thread for a similar query:
        https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_dev/3H9B5acDuzU/tZyupkDsyDcJ

        Vim itself doesn't seem to have any support for lilypond, if the command

        grep -Ri lilypond runtime

        on Mercurial tip can be trusted. You will have to look elsewhere. But
        I'm sure somebody here has a better answer.

        Best,