Re: BufEnter buggy?

  • Aaron Bohannon
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2013
      Yeah, I couldn't get any definitive information from :echo/:echom either. So I did this:

      autocmd BufEnter * let g:foo = expand('%')

      And then I'd check the value of g:foo with :echo after switching/closing windows.

      On Sunday, September 29, 2013 9:06:54 AM UTC-4, Christian Brabandt wrote:
      > Hi Aaron!
      >

      > On Sa, 28 Sep 2013, Aaron Bohannon wrote:
      >

      > > (a) BufEnter isn't getting triggered after closing the last window in
      >
      > > a tab and ending up in a different tab. It *should* be getting
      >
      > > triggered, right? I mean, it gets triggered when I close a window and
      >
      > > end up in a different window in the same tab, so why wouldn't it get
      >
      > > triggered when I close a tab?
      >

      > Are you sure? I can't replicate it. I don't see a message when doing
      >
      > :au BufEnter * :echom "BufEnter triggered!"
      >
      > But that seems to be related to the redrawing (since the old tabpage is
      >
      > closed), but the event fires, nevertheless.
      >

      > Best,
      >
      > Christian
      >
      > --
      >
      > Es gibt kaum einen Menschen, von dem man nichts lernen kann.
      >
      > -- Chinesisches Sprichwort

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 30, 2013
        On Sun, September 29, 2013 19:58, Aaron Bohannon wrote:
        > So I did this:
        >
        > autocmd BufEnter * let g:foo = expand('%')
        >
        > And then I'd check the value of g:foo with :echo after switching/closing
        > windows.

        Now I am confused. Does this work for you yes or no?

        regards,
        Christian

      • Aaron Bohannon
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 30, 2013

          The autocmd that sets the variable does not get run when I close the last window on a tab page. It is easy to check that it _does_ get run in other circumstances.

          On Sep 30, 2013 12:06 PM, "Christian Brabandt" <cblists@...> wrote:
          On Sun, September 29, 2013 19:58, Aaron Bohannon wrote:
          > So I did this:
          >
          > autocmd BufEnter *  let g:foo = expand('%')
          >
          > And then I'd check the value of g:foo with :echo after switching/closing
          > windows.

          Now I am confused. Does this work for you yes or no?

          regards,
          Christian

        • Vlad Irnov
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 30, 2013
            On 9/28/13, Aaron Bohannon <aaron678@...> wrote:
            > I have an autocmd that updates the window title in my terminal based on the
            > current file name. BufEnter clearly seems to be the event I would want to
            > trigger it with. But I've noticed two problems:
            >
            > (a) BufEnter isn't getting triggered after closing the last window in a tab
            > and ending up in a different tab. ...

            Which Vim version are you using? I remember such bug being reported by
            someone and it was subsequently fixed before version 7.4. It can be
            tested as follows:

            tabnew Foo
            autocmd BufEnter <buffer> let g:foo+=1
            tabmove