Re: Latest failed compilation

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 29, 2013
      On 29/09/13 17:32, Gregory M. Caughey wrote:
      > Hi everybody,
      > Since build 'Vim-7.4.041' my builds have been failing with error message
      > "Makefile:2697: recipe for target `objects/mbyte.o' failed".
      >
      > I've captured the last few lines from my screen output and included as
      > an attachment. I don't know if the fault is Vim or my Cygwin environment
      > which I update regularly.
      > Has anybody else experienced this problem? I have been building Vim for
      > console mode and the GUI version for years and failed compilations have
      > rarely occurred.
      >
      > I'm working on a Windows 7 box with the latest Cygwin (x86) environment
      > installed. I'm running with all of the latest upgrades and security
      > upgrades.
      >
      > v/r,
      > Greg

      There seems to be a conflict between Cygwin headers and Vim headers.
      Could you paste lines 4951 and 5090 of /usr/include/w32api/winnt.h (as
      seen from Cygwin bash) into a reply email please?

      Planet Claire has pink hair.
      All the trees are red.
      No one ever dies there.
      No one has a head....

    • Gregory M. Caughey
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 29, 2013
        On 9/29/2013 9:35 AM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
        > On 29/09/13 17:32, Gregory M. Caughey wrote:
        >> Hi everybody,
        >> Since build 'Vim-7.4.041' my builds have been failing with error message
        >> "Makefile:2697: recipe for target `objects/mbyte.o' failed".
        >>
        >> I've captured the last few lines from my screen output and included as
        >> an attachment. I don't know if the fault is Vim or my Cygwin environment
        >> which I update regularly.
        >> Has anybody else experienced this problem? I have been building Vim for
        >> console mode and the GUI version for years and failed compilations have
        >> rarely occurred.
        >>
        >> I'm working on a Windows 7 box with the latest Cygwin (x86) environment
        >> installed. I'm running with all of the latest upgrades and security
        >> upgrades.
        >>
        >> v/r,
        >> Greg
        >>
        > There seems to be a conflict between Cygwin headers and Vim headers.
        > Could you paste lines 4951 and 5090 of /usr/include/w32api/winnt.h (as
        > seen from Cygwin bash) into a reply email please?
        >

        > Best regards,
        > Tony.
        Hope this is what you're looking for.

        Thanks, Greg

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 29, 2013
          On 29/09/13 20:40, Gregory M. Caughey wrote:
          > On 9/29/2013 9:35 AM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
          >> On 29/09/13 17:32, Gregory M. Caughey wrote:
          >>> Hi everybody,
          >>> Since build 'Vim-7.4.041' my builds have been failing with error message
          >>> "Makefile:2697: recipe for target `objects/mbyte.o' failed".
          >>>
          >>> I've captured the last few lines from my screen output and included as
          >>> an attachment. I don't know if the fault is Vim or my Cygwin environment
          >>> which I update regularly.
          >>> Has anybody else experienced this problem? I have been building Vim for
          >>> console mode and the GUI version for years and failed compilations have
          >>> rarely occurred.
          >>>
          >>> I'm working on a Windows 7 box with the latest Cygwin (x86) environment
          >>> installed. I'm running with all of the latest upgrades and security
          >>> upgrades.
          >>>
          >>> v/r,
          >>> Greg
          >>>
          >> There seems to be a conflict between Cygwin headers and Vim headers.
          >> Could you paste lines 4951 and 5090 of /usr/include/w32api/winnt.h (as
          >> seen from Cygwin bash) into a reply email please?
          >>

          >> Best regards,
          >> Tony.
          > Hope this is what you're looking for.
          >
          > Thanks, Greg

          In my Vim for GTK2/Gnome2, cscope finds the Status identifier as follows:
          - defined by typedef at
          /usr/include/X11/SM/SMlib.h line 168
          /usr/include/X11/SM/SMlib.h line 306
          /usr/include/X11/ICE/ICElib.h line 163
          - defined by #define at
          /usr/include/X11/Xlib.h line 87
          /usr/include/X11/ICE/ICElib.h line 36
          - used 77 times; the Vim sources among them (as opposed to system
          include files) are:
          src/gui_x11.c line 775
          src/if_xcmdsrv.c line 266
          src/os_unix.c line 1858
          src/os_unix.c line 1923

          In all cases (and also in system include files) I see that identifier
          used as a type, which conflicts with its use as a data-name in your
          /usr/include/w32api/winnt.h which is indirectly included by the line

          # include <windows.h>

          at line 86 of src/mbyte.c and within the range of an #ifdef WIN32UNIX.
          The only #include earlier in the same source file is for "vim.h" with
          quotes.

          Bram, do you think we _can_ avoid this conflict, considering that the
          conflicting definitions are both in system include files?

          There once was a girl from Madras
          Who had such a beautiful ass --
          It was not round and pink
          (As you bastards think)
          But had two ears, a tail, and ate grass.

        • Gregory M. Caughey
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2013
            On 9/29/2013 1:25 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
            > On 29/09/13 20:40, Gregory M. Caughey wrote:

            >>> There seems to be a conflict between Cygwin headers and Vim headers.
            >>> Could you paste lines 4951 and 5090 of /usr/include/w32api/winnt.h (as
            >>> seen from Cygwin bash) into a reply email please?
            >>>

            >>> Best regards,
            >>> Tony.
            >> Hope this is what you're looking for.
            >>
            >> Thanks, Greg
            >>
            > In my Vim for GTK2/Gnome2, cscope finds the Status identifier as follows:
            > - defined by typedef at
            > /usr/include/X11/SM/SMlib.h line 168
            > /usr/include/X11/SM/SMlib.h line 306
            > /usr/include/X11/ICE/ICElib.h line 163
            > - defined by #define at
            > /usr/include/X11/Xlib.h line 87
            > /usr/include/X11/ICE/ICElib.h line 36
            > - used 77 times; the Vim sources among them (as opposed to system
            > include files) are:
            > src/gui_x11.c line 775
            > src/if_xcmdsrv.c line 266
            > src/os_unix.c line 1858
            > src/os_unix.c line 1923
            >
            > In all cases (and also in system include files) I see that identifier
            > used as a type, which conflicts with its use as a data-name in your
            > /usr/include/w32api/winnt.h which is indirectly included by the line
            >
            > # include <windows.h>
            >
            > at line 86 of src/mbyte.c and within the range of an #ifdef WIN32UNIX.
            > The only #include earlier in the same source file is for "vim.h" with
            > quotes.
            >
            > Bram, do you think we _can_ avoid this conflict, considering that the
            > conflicting definitions are both in system include files?
            >

            > Best regards,
            > Tony.
            Have just attempted to compile "vim-7.4.046" and it bombed at the same
            location and error message as I described earlier in this thread. Since
            it appears nobody else is having this problem, I will assume for the
            moment there is a problem with my current CYGWIN installation. I quess
            I'll try downgrading several packages and see if this solves this issue.

            v/r,
            Greg

          • Gregory M. Caughey
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2013
              On 10/2/2013 8:03 AM, Gregory M. Caughey wrote:
              > On 9/29/2013 1:25 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

              >>> Hope this is what you're looking for.
              >>>
              >>> Thanks, Greg
              >>>
              >> In my Vim for GTK2/Gnome2, cscope finds the Status identifier as
              >> follows:
              >> - defined by typedef at
              >> /usr/include/X11/SM/SMlib.h line 168
              >> /usr/include/X11/SM/SMlib.h line 306
              >> /usr/include/X11/ICE/ICElib.h line 163
              >> - defined by #define at
              >> /usr/include/X11/Xlib.h line 87
              >> /usr/include/X11/ICE/ICElib.h line 36
              >> - used 77 times; the Vim sources among them (as opposed to system
              >> include files) are:
              >> src/gui_x11.c line 775
              >> src/if_xcmdsrv.c line 266
              >> src/os_unix.c line 1858
              >> src/os_unix.c line 1923
              >>
              >> In all cases (and also in system include files) I see that identifier
              >> used as a type, which conflicts with its use as a data-name in your
              >> /usr/include/w32api/winnt.h which is indirectly included by the line
              >>
              >> # include <windows.h>
              >>
              >> at line 86 of src/mbyte.c and within the range of an #ifdef
              >> WIN32UNIX. The only #include earlier in the same source file is for
              >> "vim.h" with quotes.
              >>
              >> Bram, do you think we _can_ avoid this conflict, considering that the
              >> conflicting definitions are both in system include files?
              >>

              >> Best regards,
              >> Tony.
              > Have just attempted to compile "vim-7.4.046" and it bombed at the same
              > location and error message as I described earlier in this thread.
              > Since it appears nobody else is having this problem, I will assume for
              > the moment there is a problem with my current CYGWIN installation. I
              > quess I'll try downgrading several packages and see if this solves
              > this issue.
              >
              > v/r,
              > Greg

              This problem is apparently only related to my building of the GUI
              version. Disabling the GUI stuff is allowing the compilation to complete
              error free.

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 3, 2013
                On 03/10/13 00:18, Gregory M. Caughey wrote:
                > On 10/2/2013 8:03 AM, Gregory M. Caughey wrote:

                >>> In my Vim for GTK2/Gnome2, cscope finds the Status identifier as
                >>> follows:
                >>> - defined by typedef at
                >>> /usr/include/X11/SM/SMlib.h line 168
                >>> /usr/include/X11/SM/SMlib.h line 306
                >>> /usr/include/X11/ICE/ICElib.h line 163
                >>> - defined by #define at
                >>> /usr/include/X11/Xlib.h line 87
                >>> /usr/include/X11/ICE/ICElib.h line 36
                >>> - used 77 times; the Vim sources among them (as opposed to system
                >>> include files) are:
                >>> src/gui_x11.c line 775
                >>> src/if_xcmdsrv.c line 266
                >>> src/os_unix.c line 1858
                >>> src/os_unix.c line 1923
                >>>
                >>> In all cases (and also in system include files) I see that identifier
                >>> used as a type, which conflicts with its use as a data-name in your
                >>> /usr/include/w32api/winnt.h which is indirectly included by the line
                >>>
                >>> # include <windows.h>
                >>>
                >>> at line 86 of src/mbyte.c and within the range of an #ifdef
                >>> WIN32UNIX. The only #include earlier in the same source file is for
                >>> "vim.h" with quotes.
                >>>
                >>> Bram, do you think we _can_ avoid this conflict, considering that the
                >>> conflicting definitions are both in system include files?
                >>>

                >>> Best regards,
                >>> Tony.
                >> Have just attempted to compile "vim-7.4.046" and it bombed at the same
                >> location and error message as I described earlier in this thread.
                >> Since it appears nobody else is having this problem, I will assume for
                >> the moment there is a problem with my current CYGWIN installation. I
                >> quess I'll try downgrading several packages and see if this solves
                >> this issue.
                >>
                >> v/r,
                >> Greg
                >>
                > This problem is apparently only related to my building of the GUI
                > version. Disabling the GUI stuff is allowing the compilation to complete
                > error free.

                Aha! Well, gvim for Cygwin (to be run with the Cygwin DLL) is meant to
                be used under X11, which is not very practical on Windows. OTOH, Vim can
                also be compiled _on_ Cygwin (or MinGW) _for_ native Windows using the
                src/make_cyg.mak (or src/make_ming.mak) makefile: such executables run
                on any Windows system with no need for either X11 or the Cygwin DLL at
                run-time. IIUC, "Vim without Cream"
                http://sourceforge.net/projects/cream/files/Vim/ is compiled in that
                way; as of this writing, its latest version is a 7.4.27 compiled
                2013-09-19. For comparison, the very latest patchlevel published by Bram
                Wednesday -day before yesterday- is 7.4.50, and you'll find a
                single-line summary of every 7.4 patchlevel at
                http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/7.4/README (or by FTP at the same
                address).

                Do not dry clean.