Latest failed compilation

  • Gregory M. Caughey
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 29, 2013
      Hi everybody,
      Since build 'Vim-7.4.041' my builds have been failing with error message
      "Makefile:2697: recipe for target `objects/mbyte.o' failed".

      I've captured the last few lines from my screen output and included as
      an attachment. I don't know if the fault is Vim or my Cygwin environment
      which I update regularly.
      Has anybody else experienced this problem? I have been building Vim for
      console mode and the GUI version for years and failed compilations have
      rarely occurred.

      I'm working on a Windows 7 box with the latest Cygwin (x86) environment
      installed. I'm running with all of the latest upgrades and security
      upgrades.

      v/r,
      Greg

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 29, 2013
        On 29/09/13 17:32, Gregory M. Caughey wrote:
        > Hi everybody,
        > Since build 'Vim-7.4.041' my builds have been failing with error message
        > "Makefile:2697: recipe for target `objects/mbyte.o' failed".
        >
        > I've captured the last few lines from my screen output and included as
        > an attachment. I don't know if the fault is Vim or my Cygwin environment
        > which I update regularly.
        > Has anybody else experienced this problem? I have been building Vim for
        > console mode and the GUI version for years and failed compilations have
        > rarely occurred.
        >
        > I'm working on a Windows 7 box with the latest Cygwin (x86) environment
        > installed. I'm running with all of the latest upgrades and security
        > upgrades.
        >
        > v/r,
        > Greg

        There seems to be a conflict between Cygwin headers and Vim headers.
        Could you paste lines 4951 and 5090 of /usr/include/w32api/winnt.h (as
        seen from Cygwin bash) into a reply email please?

        Planet Claire has pink hair.
        All the trees are red.
        No one ever dies there.
        No one has a head....

      • Gregory M. Caughey
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 29, 2013
          On 9/29/2013 9:35 AM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
          > On 29/09/13 17:32, Gregory M. Caughey wrote:
          >> Hi everybody,
          >> Since build 'Vim-7.4.041' my builds have been failing with error message
          >> "Makefile:2697: recipe for target `objects/mbyte.o' failed".
          >>
          >> I've captured the last few lines from my screen output and included as
          >> an attachment. I don't know if the fault is Vim or my Cygwin environment
          >> which I update regularly.
          >> Has anybody else experienced this problem? I have been building Vim for
          >> console mode and the GUI version for years and failed compilations have
          >> rarely occurred.
          >>
          >> I'm working on a Windows 7 box with the latest Cygwin (x86) environment
          >> installed. I'm running with all of the latest upgrades and security
          >> upgrades.
          >>
          >> v/r,
          >> Greg
          >>
          > There seems to be a conflict between Cygwin headers and Vim headers.
          > Could you paste lines 4951 and 5090 of /usr/include/w32api/winnt.h (as
          > seen from Cygwin bash) into a reply email please?
          >

          > Best regards,
          > Tony.
          Hope this is what you're looking for.

          Thanks, Greg

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 29, 2013
            On 29/09/13 20:40, Gregory M. Caughey wrote:
            > On 9/29/2013 9:35 AM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
            >> On 29/09/13 17:32, Gregory M. Caughey wrote:
            >>> Hi everybody,
            >>> Since build 'Vim-7.4.041' my builds have been failing with error message
            >>> "Makefile:2697: recipe for target `objects/mbyte.o' failed".
            >>>
            >>> I've captured the last few lines from my screen output and included as
            >>> an attachment. I don't know if the fault is Vim or my Cygwin environment
            >>> which I update regularly.
            >>> Has anybody else experienced this problem? I have been building Vim for
            >>> console mode and the GUI version for years and failed compilations have
            >>> rarely occurred.
            >>>
            >>> I'm working on a Windows 7 box with the latest Cygwin (x86) environment
            >>> installed. I'm running with all of the latest upgrades and security
            >>> upgrades.
            >>>
            >>> v/r,
            >>> Greg
            >>>
            >> There seems to be a conflict between Cygwin headers and Vim headers.
            >> Could you paste lines 4951 and 5090 of /usr/include/w32api/winnt.h (as
            >> seen from Cygwin bash) into a reply email please?
            >>

            >> Best regards,
            >> Tony.
            > Hope this is what you're looking for.
            >
            > Thanks, Greg

            In my Vim for GTK2/Gnome2, cscope finds the Status identifier as follows:
            - defined by typedef at
            /usr/include/X11/SM/SMlib.h line 168
            /usr/include/X11/SM/SMlib.h line 306
            /usr/include/X11/ICE/ICElib.h line 163
            - defined by #define at
            /usr/include/X11/Xlib.h line 87
            /usr/include/X11/ICE/ICElib.h line 36
            - used 77 times; the Vim sources among them (as opposed to system
            include files) are:
            src/gui_x11.c line 775
            src/if_xcmdsrv.c line 266
            src/os_unix.c line 1858
            src/os_unix.c line 1923

            In all cases (and also in system include files) I see that identifier
            used as a type, which conflicts with its use as a data-name in your
            /usr/include/w32api/winnt.h which is indirectly included by the line

            # include <windows.h>

            at line 86 of src/mbyte.c and within the range of an #ifdef WIN32UNIX.
            The only #include earlier in the same source file is for "vim.h" with
            quotes.

            Bram, do you think we _can_ avoid this conflict, considering that the
            conflicting definitions are both in system include files?

            There once was a girl from Madras
            Who had such a beautiful ass --
            It was not round and pink
            (As you bastards think)
            But had two ears, a tail, and ate grass.

          • Gregory M. Caughey
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2013
              On 9/29/2013 1:25 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
              > On 29/09/13 20:40, Gregory M. Caughey wrote:

              >>> There seems to be a conflict between Cygwin headers and Vim headers.
              >>> Could you paste lines 4951 and 5090 of /usr/include/w32api/winnt.h (as
              >>> seen from Cygwin bash) into a reply email please?
              >>>

              >>> Best regards,
              >>> Tony.
              >> Hope this is what you're looking for.
              >>
              >> Thanks, Greg
              >>
              > In my Vim for GTK2/Gnome2, cscope finds the Status identifier as follows:
              > - defined by typedef at
              > /usr/include/X11/SM/SMlib.h line 168
              > /usr/include/X11/SM/SMlib.h line 306
              > /usr/include/X11/ICE/ICElib.h line 163
              > - defined by #define at
              > /usr/include/X11/Xlib.h line 87
              > /usr/include/X11/ICE/ICElib.h line 36
              > - used 77 times; the Vim sources among them (as opposed to system
              > include files) are:
              > src/gui_x11.c line 775
              > src/if_xcmdsrv.c line 266
              > src/os_unix.c line 1858
              > src/os_unix.c line 1923
              >
              > In all cases (and also in system include files) I see that identifier
              > used as a type, which conflicts with its use as a data-name in your
              > /usr/include/w32api/winnt.h which is indirectly included by the line
              >
              > # include <windows.h>
              >
              > at line 86 of src/mbyte.c and within the range of an #ifdef WIN32UNIX.
              > The only #include earlier in the same source file is for "vim.h" with
              > quotes.
              >
              > Bram, do you think we _can_ avoid this conflict, considering that the
              > conflicting definitions are both in system include files?
              >

              > Best regards,
              > Tony.
              Have just attempted to compile "vim-7.4.046" and it bombed at the same
              location and error message as I described earlier in this thread. Since
              it appears nobody else is having this problem, I will assume for the
              moment there is a problem with my current CYGWIN installation. I quess
              I'll try downgrading several packages and see if this solves this issue.

              v/r,
              Greg

            • Gregory M. Caughey
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 2, 2013
                On 10/2/2013 8:03 AM, Gregory M. Caughey wrote:
                > On 9/29/2013 1:25 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

                >>> Hope this is what you're looking for.
                >>>
                >>> Thanks, Greg
                >>>
                >> In my Vim for GTK2/Gnome2, cscope finds the Status identifier as
                >> follows:
                >> - defined by typedef at
                >> /usr/include/X11/SM/SMlib.h line 168
                >> /usr/include/X11/SM/SMlib.h line 306
                >> /usr/include/X11/ICE/ICElib.h line 163
                >> - defined by #define at
                >> /usr/include/X11/Xlib.h line 87
                >> /usr/include/X11/ICE/ICElib.h line 36
                >> - used 77 times; the Vim sources among them (as opposed to system
                >> include files) are:
                >> src/gui_x11.c line 775
                >> src/if_xcmdsrv.c line 266
                >> src/os_unix.c line 1858
                >> src/os_unix.c line 1923
                >>
                >> In all cases (and also in system include files) I see that identifier
                >> used as a type, which conflicts with its use as a data-name in your
                >> /usr/include/w32api/winnt.h which is indirectly included by the line
                >>
                >> # include <windows.h>
                >>
                >> at line 86 of src/mbyte.c and within the range of an #ifdef
                >> WIN32UNIX. The only #include earlier in the same source file is for
                >> "vim.h" with quotes.
                >>
                >> Bram, do you think we _can_ avoid this conflict, considering that the
                >> conflicting definitions are both in system include files?
                >>

                >> Best regards,
                >> Tony.
                > Have just attempted to compile "vim-7.4.046" and it bombed at the same
                > location and error message as I described earlier in this thread.
                > Since it appears nobody else is having this problem, I will assume for
                > the moment there is a problem with my current CYGWIN installation. I
                > quess I'll try downgrading several packages and see if this solves
                > this issue.
                >
                > v/r,
                > Greg

                This problem is apparently only related to my building of the GUI
                version. Disabling the GUI stuff is allowing the compilation to complete
                error free.

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 3, 2013
                  On 03/10/13 00:18, Gregory M. Caughey wrote:
                  > On 10/2/2013 8:03 AM, Gregory M. Caughey wrote:

                  >>> In my Vim for GTK2/Gnome2, cscope finds the Status identifier as
                  >>> follows:
                  >>> - defined by typedef at
                  >>> /usr/include/X11/SM/SMlib.h line 168
                  >>> /usr/include/X11/SM/SMlib.h line 306
                  >>> /usr/include/X11/ICE/ICElib.h line 163
                  >>> - defined by #define at
                  >>> /usr/include/X11/Xlib.h line 87
                  >>> /usr/include/X11/ICE/ICElib.h line 36
                  >>> - used 77 times; the Vim sources among them (as opposed to system
                  >>> include files) are:
                  >>> src/gui_x11.c line 775
                  >>> src/if_xcmdsrv.c line 266
                  >>> src/os_unix.c line 1858
                  >>> src/os_unix.c line 1923
                  >>>
                  >>> In all cases (and also in system include files) I see that identifier
                  >>> used as a type, which conflicts with its use as a data-name in your
                  >>> /usr/include/w32api/winnt.h which is indirectly included by the line
                  >>>
                  >>> # include <windows.h>
                  >>>
                  >>> at line 86 of src/mbyte.c and within the range of an #ifdef
                  >>> WIN32UNIX. The only #include earlier in the same source file is for
                  >>> "vim.h" with quotes.
                  >>>
                  >>> Bram, do you think we _can_ avoid this conflict, considering that the
                  >>> conflicting definitions are both in system include files?
                  >>>

                  >>> Best regards,
                  >>> Tony.
                  >> Have just attempted to compile "vim-7.4.046" and it bombed at the same
                  >> location and error message as I described earlier in this thread.
                  >> Since it appears nobody else is having this problem, I will assume for
                  >> the moment there is a problem with my current CYGWIN installation. I
                  >> quess I'll try downgrading several packages and see if this solves
                  >> this issue.
                  >>
                  >> v/r,
                  >> Greg
                  >>
                  > This problem is apparently only related to my building of the GUI
                  > version. Disabling the GUI stuff is allowing the compilation to complete
                  > error free.

                  Aha! Well, gvim for Cygwin (to be run with the Cygwin DLL) is meant to
                  be used under X11, which is not very practical on Windows. OTOH, Vim can
                  also be compiled _on_ Cygwin (or MinGW) _for_ native Windows using the
                  src/make_cyg.mak (or src/make_ming.mak) makefile: such executables run
                  on any Windows system with no need for either X11 or the Cygwin DLL at
                  run-time. IIUC, "Vim without Cream"
                  http://sourceforge.net/projects/cream/files/Vim/ is compiled in that
                  way; as of this writing, its latest version is a 7.4.27 compiled
                  2013-09-19. For comparison, the very latest patchlevel published by Bram
                  Wednesday -day before yesterday- is 7.4.50, and you'll find a
                  single-line summary of every 7.4 patchlevel at
                  http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/7.4/README (or by FTP at the same
                  address).

                  Do not dry clean.