Re: error M:\_viminfo!

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 27, 2013
      On Friday, September 27, 2013 9:43:18 AM UTC-5, Gooderam wrote:

      > I do have a question though. Vi has worked well for me on this computer for many years. (windows 7) But now when I press ESC to exit from the text mode. It does not work. I have discovered that F1 sort of works. But it gives me an error as well, E433: No tags file and E149: Sorry, no help for help.txt and Press Enter or type command to continue. Then I am it the right mode like I press ed ESC. I dont know why this has changed. I dont recall changing anything.
      >
      > Is there any way to get back my ESC.

      What DOES happen when you hit ESC in insert mode? ESC is an extremely basic feature and it should always work.

      Unless, of course:
      1. You have an insert-mode mapping for <ESC>
      2. You have the option 'insertmode' set
      3. You are using Vim in "easy mode" (i.e. your Vim is named "evim", or you launch it as "vim -y" or "gvim -y")

      Are any of these true?

    • Stevew
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 27, 2013
        Ok well you caused me to think about things a bit and I think I resolved it.
        Here is what I did.
        There is one file that I opwn every day and use all the time. This is the file that had the problem. It is an encrypted file -X.
        I decided to open it and then do a :w out.txt
        then exit and then open the out.txt with a -X Now the problem went away. Maybe this file had some characters in it that caused the problems.

        Second thing I did. I went to the _vimrc file. I had been using # comment out lines. I figured it was the same as a script file on linux or unix. Its been that way for some time. Well I guess I was wrong It's suppose to be
        " Programing type comment.
        Correct me if Im wrong?
        I discovered this because even with me rewriting the file out, while fixed, now when it was opening it was showing odd things at the bottom in the information :command line.

        I think that has fixed it. Ive used this program for so long, many of these things are new to me when I went to windows. In fact at some point when I did install the vim.exe on windows (as I recall somewhere) I was at the time thinking to myself (angrily) cant they just leave it alone and just provde simple VI.exe
        Let see if everything works now. Or if you have seen some error in my ways.
        thanks.

      • Charles Campbell
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 27, 2013
          Stevew wrote:

          Second thing I did. I went to the _vimrc file. I had been using # comment out lines. I figured it was the same as a script file on linux or unix. Its been that way for some time. Well I guess I was wrong It's suppose to be
          " Programing type comment.
          Correct me if Im wrong?
          I discovered this because even with me rewriting the file out, while fixed, now when it was opening it was showing odd things at the bottom in the information :command line.

          VIm's comments similarly in the sense that a single character starts a
          comment, but uses a leading double-quote (") instead of a hash mark (#).

          Regards,
          C Campbell