Re: undo/redo problem

  • Dominique PellĂ©
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 18, 2013
      tom arnall wrote:

      > I am having a problem with redo/undo behavior. Every week or so, I
      > will accidentally wipe out some text and when I try to get it back
      > with undo and/or redo, it never reappears, no matter what direction I
      > go. My undo level is 5000. History is at default.

      Are you sure it does not happen because you created an undo branch?
      :undo only goes back in the current branch. Try the :earlier command.
      I recommend using the undotree plugin, or the Gundo plugin to
      make it easier to navigate in the undo tree.

      Dominique

    • Erik Christiansen
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 18, 2013
        On 18.09.13 22:13, tom arnall wrote:
        > I am having a problem with redo/undo behavior. Every week or so, I
        > will accidentally wipe out some text and when I try to get it back
        > with undo and/or redo, it never reappears, no matter what direction I
        > go. My undo level is 5000. History is at default.

        Are you "Every week or so", using U instead of u?

        Erik

        --
        Tecoma's Macca's-striking flash mob: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7-0T1vbnWE
        Stop fat food joint opposite Tecoma preschool: www.change.org

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 18, 2013
          On Thu, September 19, 2013 07:13, tom arnall wrote:
          > I am having a problem with redo/undo behavior. Every week or so, I
          > will accidentally wipe out some text and when I try to get it back
          > with undo and/or redo, it never reappears, no matter what direction I
          > go. My undo level is 5000. History is at default.

          What commands did you exactly try? Can you check the output of
          :echo chagnenr()
          What happens if you do:
          :earlier 9999
          and then step through your undo history using g+ (normal mode command)?

          Note, a plugin like histwin or undotree might help you in determinig the
          undo states you are looking for.

          regards,
          Christian

        • Gary Johnson
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 18, 2013
            On 2013-09-18, tom arnall wrote:
            > I am having a problem with redo/undo behavior. Every week or so, I
            > will accidentally wipe out some text and when I try to get it back
            > with undo and/or redo, it never reappears, no matter what direction I
            > go. My undo level is 5000. History is at default.

            The only time I have that problem is when I have just typed some
            text in insert mode and I accidentally hit Ctrl-W. I don't know of
            any way to recover that deleted text.

            Regards,
            Gary

          • Tim Chase
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 19, 2013
              On 2013-09-18 23:33, Gary Johnson wrote:
              > The only time I have that problem is when I have just typed some
              > text in insert mode and I accidentally hit Ctrl-W. I don't know of
              > any way to recover that deleted text.

              Post-facto, I don't know of a way either. But in most of my vimrc
              files, I have

              inoremap <c-u> <c-g>u<c-u>
              inoremap <c-w> <c-g>u<c-w>

              which preventively drops an undo breakpoint if I use either <c-u> or
              <c-w> so I can come back later.

              -tim

            • Ben Fritz
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 19, 2013
                On Thursday, September 19, 2013 1:33:53 AM UTC-5, Gary Johnson wrote:

                > The only time I have that problem is when I have just typed some
                >
                > text in insert mode and I accidentally hit Ctrl-W. I don't know of
                >
                > any way to recover that deleted text.

                You can make use of the '.' register:

                http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Recover_from_accidental_Ctrl-U

              • tom arnall
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 22, 2013
                  the :earlier command seems to solve my problem.

                  belated thanks to all for yr generous attention.

                  "The basic truths are self-evident, but 'self-evident' does not mean
                  'obvious'." Spinoza, approx.