Re: HTTP write in netrw?

  • Benjamin Klein
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 17, 2013
      On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 02:23 PM, Charles Campbell <Charles.E.Campbell@...> wrote:

      > What application do you propose for HTTP writing? I myself generally
      > edit my website and write it to my website using ftp, which is supported
      > by netrw.

      I see. Mostly I was thinking of posting to a specific nearly-obscure API
      using HTTP; this is probably not a common use case for netrw, but I had
      not expected it to allow read *and* write for all *but* HTTP. :)

      Sent from Vmail. http://danielchoi.com/software/vmail.html

    • Charles Campbell
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 18, 2013
        Benjamin Klein wrote:
        > On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 02:23 PM, Charles Campbell <Charles.E.Campbell@...> wrote:
        >
        >> What application do you propose for HTTP writing? I myself generally
        >> edit my website and write it to my website using ftp, which is supported
        >> by netrw.
        > I see. Mostly I was thinking of posting to a specific nearly-obscure API
        > using HTTP; this is probably not a common use case for netrw, but I had
        > not expected it to allow read *and* write for all *but* HTTP. :)

        I'm sorry, my question was a bit ambiguous. What I meant was: what
        software do you propose for netrw to provide an interface to which would
        write http to servers?

        Regards,
        Chip Campbell

      • Benjamin Klein
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 18, 2013
          On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 08:57 AM, Charles Campbell <Charles.E.Campbell@...> wrote:

          > I'm sorry, my question was a bit ambiguous. What I meant was: what
          > software do you propose for netrw to provide an interface to which would
          > write http to servers?

          Oh, I see. :) I'm not sure of exactly what limits netrw has to work
          with, but would cURL perhaps work for this? From netrw's release notes
          it seems that it's already used as a backup solution in case of Cadaver
          being unavailable for WebDAV, and it can handle HTTP.

          Sent from Vmail. http://danielchoi.com/software/vmail.html

        • Nikolay Pavlov
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 18, 2013

            On Sep 18, 2013 11:39 PM, "Benjamin Klein" <ben@...> wrote:

            > On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 08:57 AM, Charles Campbell <Charles.E.Campbell@...> wrote:
            >
            > > I'm sorry, my question was a bit ambiguous.  What I meant was: what
            > > software do you propose for netrw to provide an interface to which would
            > > write http to servers?
            >
            > Oh, I see. :) I'm not sure of exactly what limits netrw has to work
            > with, but would cURL perhaps work for this? From netrw's release notes
            > it seems that it's already used as a backup solution in case of Cadaver
            > being unavailable for WebDAV, and it can handle HTTP.

            You mean PUT request? Could you give an example command-line for writing to some example URI and the corresponding buffer name (i.e. the URI itself)?

            > Sent from Vmail. http://danielchoi.com/software/vmail.html

            > ---

          • Benjamin Klein
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 18, 2013
              On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 02:57 PM, Nikolay Pavlov <zyx.vim@...> wrote:

              > You mean PUT request? Could you give an example command-line for writing to
              > some example URI and the corresponding buffer name (i.e. the URI itself)?

              If you mean "give an example of using cURL to write to some example
              URI", I can cheat: http://superuser.com/a/255624/230861 :)

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 18, 2013

                On Sep 19, 2013 1:52 AM, "Benjamin Klein" <ben@...> wrote:

                > On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 02:57 PM, Nikolay Pavlov <zyx.vim@...> wrote:
                >
                > > You mean PUT request? Could you give an example command-line for writing to
                > > some example URI and the corresponding buffer name (i.e. the URI itself)?
                >
                > If you mean "give an example of using cURL to write to some example
                > URI", I can cheat: http://superuser.com/a/255624/230861 :)

                This is POST. I do not believe there are many servers that use this for saving file on their end, but I may be wrong.

                I should have asked also *common* server configuration that allows saving: I could have googled similar question for PUT myself.

                > Sent from Vmail. http://danielchoi.com/software/vmail.html

                > ---

              • Nikolay Pavlov
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 18, 2013

                  On Sep 19, 2013 10:44 AM, "Nikolay Pavlov" <zyx.vim@...> wrote:

                  > On Sep 19, 2013 1:52 AM, "Benjamin Klein" <ben@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 02:57 PM, Nikolay Pavlov <zyx.vim@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > You mean PUT request? Could you give an example command-line for writing to
                  > > > some example URI and the corresponding buffer name (i.e. the URI itself)?
                  > >
                  > > If you mean "give an example of using cURL to write to some example
                  > > URI", I can cheat: http://superuser.com/a/255624/230861 :)
                  >
                  > This is POST. I do not believe there are many servers that use this for saving file on their end, but I may be wrong.
                  >
                  > I should have asked also *common* server configuration that allows saving: I could have googled similar question for PUT myself.

                  I.e. when asking for http write you had a specific web server you use for development in mind, did not you?