HTTP write in netrw?

  • ben@...
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 17, 2013
      I see from the docs that for HTTP, netrw is read-only. Does
      anybody know whether there are plans to add HTTP write support
      at some point? (Sorry if this is a frequently-asked question
      with an obvious answer, but I didn't find anything on it other
      than that it's not "currently" supported.)

      Sent from Vmail. http://danielchoi.com/software/vmail.html

    • Charles Campbell
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 17, 2013
        ben@... wrote:
        > I see from the docs that for HTTP, netrw is read-only. Does
        > anybody know whether there are plans to add HTTP write support
        > at some point? (Sorry if this is a frequently-asked question
        > with an obvious answer, but I didn't find anything on it other
        > than that it's not "currently" supported.)

        What application do you propose for HTTP writing? I myself generally
        edit my website and write it to my website using ftp, which is supported
        by netrw.

        Regards,
        C Campbell

      • Benjamin Klein
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 17, 2013
          On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 02:23 PM, Charles Campbell <Charles.E.Campbell@...> wrote:

          > What application do you propose for HTTP writing? I myself generally
          > edit my website and write it to my website using ftp, which is supported
          > by netrw.

          I see. Mostly I was thinking of posting to a specific nearly-obscure API
          using HTTP; this is probably not a common use case for netrw, but I had
          not expected it to allow read *and* write for all *but* HTTP. :)

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 18, 2013
            Benjamin Klein wrote:
            > On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 02:23 PM, Charles Campbell <Charles.E.Campbell@...> wrote:
            >
            >> What application do you propose for HTTP writing? I myself generally
            >> edit my website and write it to my website using ftp, which is supported
            >> by netrw.
            > I see. Mostly I was thinking of posting to a specific nearly-obscure API
            > using HTTP; this is probably not a common use case for netrw, but I had
            > not expected it to allow read *and* write for all *but* HTTP. :)

            I'm sorry, my question was a bit ambiguous. What I meant was: what
            software do you propose for netrw to provide an interface to which would
            write http to servers?

            Regards,
            Chip Campbell

          • Benjamin Klein
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 18, 2013
              On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 08:57 AM, Charles Campbell <Charles.E.Campbell@...> wrote:

              > I'm sorry, my question was a bit ambiguous. What I meant was: what
              > software do you propose for netrw to provide an interface to which would
              > write http to servers?

              Oh, I see. :) I'm not sure of exactly what limits netrw has to work
              with, but would cURL perhaps work for this? From netrw's release notes
              it seems that it's already used as a backup solution in case of Cadaver
              being unavailable for WebDAV, and it can handle HTTP.

              Sent from Vmail. http://danielchoi.com/software/vmail.html

            • Nikolay Pavlov
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 18, 2013

                On Sep 18, 2013 11:39 PM, "Benjamin Klein" <ben@...> wrote:

                > On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 08:57 AM, Charles Campbell <Charles.E.Campbell@...> wrote:
                >
                > > I'm sorry, my question was a bit ambiguous.  What I meant was: what
                > > software do you propose for netrw to provide an interface to which would
                > > write http to servers?
                >
                > Oh, I see. :) I'm not sure of exactly what limits netrw has to work
                > with, but would cURL perhaps work for this? From netrw's release notes
                > it seems that it's already used as a backup solution in case of Cadaver
                > being unavailable for WebDAV, and it can handle HTTP.

                You mean PUT request? Could you give an example command-line for writing to some example URI and the corresponding buffer name (i.e. the URI itself)?

                > Sent from Vmail. http://danielchoi.com/software/vmail.html

                > ---

              • Benjamin Klein
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 18, 2013
                  On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 02:57 PM, Nikolay Pavlov <zyx.vim@...> wrote:

                  > You mean PUT request? Could you give an example command-line for writing to
                  > some example URI and the corresponding buffer name (i.e. the URI itself)?

                  If you mean "give an example of using cURL to write to some example
                  URI", I can cheat: http://superuser.com/a/255624/230861 :)

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 18, 2013

                    On Sep 19, 2013 1:52 AM, "Benjamin Klein" <ben@...> wrote:

                    > On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 02:57 PM, Nikolay Pavlov <zyx.vim@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > You mean PUT request? Could you give an example command-line for writing to
                    > > some example URI and the corresponding buffer name (i.e. the URI itself)?
                    >
                    > If you mean "give an example of using cURL to write to some example
                    > URI", I can cheat: http://superuser.com/a/255624/230861 :)

                    This is POST. I do not believe there are many servers that use this for saving file on their end, but I may be wrong.

                    I should have asked also *common* server configuration that allows saving: I could have googled similar question for PUT myself.

                    > Sent from Vmail. http://danielchoi.com/software/vmail.html

                    > ---

                  • Nikolay Pavlov
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 18, 2013

                      On Sep 19, 2013 10:44 AM, "Nikolay Pavlov" <zyx.vim@...> wrote:

                      > On Sep 19, 2013 1:52 AM, "Benjamin Klein" <ben@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 02:57 PM, Nikolay Pavlov <zyx.vim@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > You mean PUT request? Could you give an example command-line for writing to
                      > > > some example URI and the corresponding buffer name (i.e. the URI itself)?
                      > >
                      > > If you mean "give an example of using cURL to write to some example
                      > > URI", I can cheat: http://superuser.com/a/255624/230861 :)
                      >
                      > This is POST. I do not believe there are many servers that use this for saving file on their end, but I may be wrong.
                      >
                      > I should have asked also *common* server configuration that allows saving: I could have googled similar question for PUT myself.

                      I.e. when asking for http write you had a specific web server you use for development in mind, did not you?