Re: Scrolling (diffing) through VCS revisions

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 16, 2013
      On Monday, September 16, 2013 9:04:44 AM UTC-5, Jan wrote:
      > I like to use vcscommand with Subversion. I especially like :VCSVimDiff <revision>, which splits the window and gives a diff of the current file to a particular revision. The trouble is, if you want to diff against the last modification of the current file, you have to go and look up what revision it was. I'd love there to be a command (that I can map) which will do that but diff against the last revision in which the file was change, whatever it was, subsequent commands would go back and back each time diffing against the last time the file was changed, and another command to go forward. Does anyone know of a way of doing that, in vcscommand or otherwise?

      Can you just use the special revision keywords supported by Subversion?

      http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.tour.revs.specifiers.html#svn.tour.revs.keywords

    • Paul
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 17, 2013
        On Monday, 16 September, 2013 at 16:46:19 BST, Ben Fritz wrote:
        >Can you just use the special revision keywords supported by Subversion?

        I'm looking for a plugin or script that will do that for me.

      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 17, 2013
          On Tuesday, September 17, 2013 8:57:06 AM UTC-5, Jan wrote:
          > On Monday, 16 September, 2013 at 16:46:19 BST, Ben Fritz wrote:
          >
          > >Can you just use the special revision keywords supported by Subversion?
          >

          > I'm looking for a plugin or script that will do that for me.

          I don't have vcscommand plugin. But I would expect this to work with no additional plugins or scripts:

          :VCSVimDiff BASE
          :VCSVimDiff PREV
          :VCSVimDiff COMMITTED
          :VCSVimDiff HEAD
          :VCSVimDiff {2006-02-17}

          All these are supported by Subversion running from a command-line in place of a numeric revision. Do they work from the vcscommand plugin commands? If so you don't need any plugins or any knowledge of specific revision numbers.

        • Paul
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 18, 2013
            On Tuesday, 17 September, 2013 at 17:51:14 BST, Ben Fritz wrote:
            >:VCSVimDiff BASE
            >:VCSVimDiff PREV
            >:VCSVimDiff COMMITTED
            >:VCSVimDiff HEAD
            >:VCSVimDiff {2006-02-17}
            >
            >All these are supported by Subversion running from a command-line in place of a numeric revision. Do they work from the vcscommand plugin commands? If so you don't need any plugins or any knowledge of specific revision numbers.

            They do work with VCSVimDiff, but I think they only help with diffing against the last change only.

            For example, foo.txt was changed in revisions 2, 3, 5, 9, 10, 11. HEAD is now at revision 20. I want to open foo.txt in Vim, then do something so that it diffs against the last change made to it. :VCSVimDiff PREV would diff the current (local) version against revision 11. That's fine, but I want to do that something again so that I then see a diff between the current local version and revision 10. Then again for 9, 5, etc., effectively seeing a nice vimdiff of the changes to foo.txt throughout its lifetime.

            Currently what I have to do is 'svn log' on foo.txt, note the revisions, and do a :VCSVimDiff for each one. It's that process that I'd like to know if it can be done automatically at the stroke of a keypress.

          • Nikolay Pavlov
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 18, 2013

              On Sep 18, 2013 8:11 PM, "Paul" <google1241@...> wrote:

              > On Tuesday, 17 September, 2013 at 17:51:14 BST, Ben Fritz wrote:
              >>
              >> :VCSVimDiff BASE
              >> :VCSVimDiff PREV
              >> :VCSVimDiff COMMITTED
              >> :VCSVimDiff HEAD
              >> :VCSVimDiff {2006-02-17}
              >>
              >> All these are supported by Subversion running from a command-line in place of a numeric revision. Do they work from the vcscommand plugin commands? If so you don't need any plugins or any knowledge of specific revision numbers.
              >

              > They do work with VCSVimDiff, but I think they only help with diffing against the last change only.
              >
              > For example, foo.txt was changed in revisions 2, 3, 5, 9, 10, 11. HEAD is now at revision 20. I want to open foo.txt in Vim, then do something so that it diffs against the last change made to it. :VCSVimDiff PREV would diff the current (local) version against revision 11. That's fine, but I want to do that something again so that I then see a diff between the current local version and revision 10. Then again for 9, 5, etc., effectively seeing a nice vimdiff of the changes to foo.txt throughout its lifetime.
              >
              > Currently what I have to do is 'svn log' on foo.txt, note the revisions, and do a :VCSVimDiff for each one. It's that process that I'd like to know if it can be done automatically at the stroke of a keypress.

              Aurum is capable of doing this: :AuVimDiff, then gJ for previous and gK for next revision with modifications, but its subversion and bazaar backends are least stable as the only place where I use both VCSes is aurum test suite. Feel free to report bugs to https://bitbucket.org/ZyX_I/aurum/issues.

              Note: gJ and gK should be typed in the buffer with repository version, not in the buffer with version from current working directory. J and K are for just next/previous revision. If you are diffing two revisions they should work for both (in fact it is aurum://file mapping, not the AuVimDiff-specific one).

            • Paul
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 19, 2013
                On Wednesday, 18 September, 2013 at 20:29:49 BST, Nikolay Pavlov wrote:
                >Aurum is capable of doing this: :AuVimDiff, then gJ for previous and gK for
                >next revision with modifications, but its subversion and bazaar backends
                >are least stable as the only place where I use both VCSes is aurum test
                >suite. Feel free to report bugs to https://bitbucket.org/ZyX_I/aurum/issues.

                Sweet! Last time I looked, Aurum had too many dependencies for my liking, but if it does what I desire, I'll give it another look, thanks!

              • Nikolay Pavlov
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 19, 2013

                  On Sep 19, 2013 2:07 PM, "Paul" <google1241@...> wrote:

                  > On Wednesday, 18 September, 2013 at 20:29:49 BST, Nikolay Pavlov wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Aurum is capable of doing this: :AuVimDiff, then gJ for previous and gK for
                  >> next revision with modifications, but its subversion and bazaar backends
                  >> are least stable as the only place where I use both VCSes is aurum test
                  >> suite. Feel free to report bugs to https://bitbucket.org/ZyX_I/aurum/issues.
                  >

                  > Sweet! Last time I looked, Aurum had too many dependencies for my liking, but if it does what I desire, I'll give it another look, thanks!

                  There is vim-addon-manager for dependencies. Or a slightly outdated bundle with release version on vim.org which bundles all dependencies in one archive.

                • Paul
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 30, 2013
                    On Wednesday, 18 September, 2013 at 20:29:49 BST, Nikolay Pavlov wrote:
                    >Aurum is capable of doing this: :AuVimDiff, then gJ for previous and gK for
                    >next revision with modifications, but its subversion and bazaar backends
                    >are least stable as the only place where I use both VCSes is aurum test
                    >suite. Feel free to report bugs to https://bitbucket.org/ZyX_I/aurum/issues.
                    >
                    >Note: gJ and gK should be typed in the buffer with repository version, not
                    >in the buffer with version from current working directory. J and K are for
                    >just next/previous revision. If you are diffing two revisions they should
                    >work for both (in fact it is aurum://file mapping, not the
                    >AuVimDiff-specific one).

                    When I do gJ / gK, I get "E21: Cannot make changes, 'modifiable' is off". I tried making this an issue on bitbucket but I got a 403.

                  • Nikolay Pavlov
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 30, 2013

                      On Sep 30, 2013 1:20 PM, "Paul" <google1241@...> wrote:

                      > On Wednesday, 18 September, 2013 at 20:29:49 BST, Nikolay Pavlov wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Aurum is capable of doing this: :AuVimDiff, then gJ for previous and gK for
                      >> next revision with modifications, but its subversion and bazaar backends
                      >> are least stable as the only place where I use both VCSes is aurum test
                      >> suite. Feel free to report bugs to https://bitbucket.org/ZyX_I/aurum/issues.
                      >>
                      >> Note: gJ and gK should be typed in the buffer with repository version, not
                      >> in the buffer with version from current working directory. J and K are for
                      >> just next/previous revision. If you are diffing two revisions they should
                      >> work for both (in fact it is aurum://file mapping, not the
                      >> AuVimDiff-specific one).
                      >

                      > When I do gJ / gK, I get "E21: Cannot make changes, 'modifiable' is off". I tried making this an issue on bitbucket but I got a 403.

                      Do you have any mappings to gJ/gK? These commands do not do any changes, they open a new buffer.

                      : what does ":verbose nmap gJ" show?

                    • Ben Fritz
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 30, 2013
                        On Monday, September 30, 2013 5:13:45 AM UTC-5, ZyX wrote:
                        > On Sep 30, 2013 1:20 PM, "Paul" <googl...@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > >> Note: gJ and gK should be typed in the buffer with repository version, not
                        >
                        > >> in the buffer with version from current working directory. J and K are for
                        >
                        > >> just next/previous revision. If you are diffing two revisions they should
                        >
                        > >> work for both (in fact it is aurum://file mapping, not the
                        >
                        > >> AuVimDiff-specific one).
                        >

                        > > When I do gJ / gK, I get "E21: Cannot make changes, 'modifiable' is off". I tried making this an issue on bitbucket but I got a 403.
                        >
                        > Do you have any mappings to gJ/gK? These commands do not do any changes, they open a new buffer.
                        >
                        > : what does ":verbose nmap gJ" show?

                        Hi, ZyX and Jan!

                        I've encountered similar problems in the past, because I have a BufRead/BufWinEnter autocmd which sets 'nomodifiable' if 'readonly' is set. At one point I was doing a global "set nomodifiable" but now I do "setlocal" instead. Otherwise, any new buffers created also have 'nomodifiable' set.

                        Jan, if you've got a similar autocmd, you should make the same fix.

                        ZyX, if the new buffer your plugin is creating should always be modifiable, it would be smart to set 'modifiable' explicitly just in case it inherits a bad value.

                      • Nikolay Pavlov
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 30, 2013

                          On Sep 30, 2013 6:21 PM, "Ben Fritz" <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:

                          > > > When I do gJ / gK, I get "E21: Cannot make changes, 'modifiable' is off". I tried making this an issue on bitbucket but I got a 403.
                          > >
                          > > Do you have any mappings to gJ/gK? These commands do not do any changes, they open a new buffer.
                          > >
                          > > : what does ":verbose nmap gJ" show?
                          > >

                          > Hi, ZyX and Jan!
                          >
                          > I've encountered similar problems in the past, because I have a BufRead/BufWinEnter autocmd which sets 'nomodifiable' if 'readonly' is set. At one point I was doing a global "set nomodifiable" but now I do "setlocal" instead. Otherwise, any new buffers created also have 'nomodifiable' set.
                          >
                          > Jan, if you've got a similar autocmd, you should make the same fix.
                          >
                          > ZyX, if the new buffer your plugin is creating should always be modifiable, it would be smart to set 'modifiable' explicitly just in case it inherits a bad value.

                          As I said, gJ does not modify current buffer: it instead opens a new one. 'nomodifiable' is set by aurum for all aurum://file buffers. Thus I assume he has similar problem with conflicting mappings as I have (I have remapped J for vim files though and not gJ, thus I am not much willing to resolve conflict).

                          If what you mentioned here is the case he must be doing gJ in the wrong buffer (this must be done in the buffer with the committed version).

                          > ---

                        • Ben Fritz
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 30, 2013
                            On Monday, September 30, 2013 9:30:24 AM UTC-5, ZyX wrote:
                            > On Sep 30, 2013 6:21 PM, "Ben Fritz" <fritzo...@...> wrote:
                            > > ZyX, if the new buffer your plugin is creating should always be modifiable, it would be smart to set 'modifiable' explicitly just in case it inherits a bad value.
                            >
                            > As I said, gJ does not modify current buffer: it instead opens a new one.

                            And as I said, the new buffer may have 'nomodifiable' set already, inherited from the global value of the option.

                            gvim -N -u NONE -i NONE
                            :set nomodifiable
                            :new
                            :set modifiable?
                            nomodifiable

                          • Nikolay Pavlov
                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 30, 2013

                              On Sep 30, 2013 7:06 PM, "Ben Fritz" <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:

                              > On Monday, September 30, 2013 9:30:24 AM UTC-5, ZyX wrote:
                              > > On Sep 30, 2013 6:21 PM, "Ben Fritz" <fritzo...@...> wrote:
                              > > > ZyX, if the new buffer your plugin is creating should always be modifiable, it would be smart to set 'modifiable' explicitly just in case it inherits a bad value.
                              > >
                              > > As I said, gJ does not modify current buffer: it instead opens a new one.
                              >
                              > And as I said, the new buffer may have 'nomodifiable' set already, inherited from the global value of the option.
                              >
                              > gvim -N -u NONE -i NONE
                              > :set nomodifiable
                              > :new
                              > :set modifiable?
                              >   nomodifiable

                              This means buffer will be empty as it is populated with setline() (or some manipulations with vim.current.buffer in python). Who cares about not working gJ if buffer is empty while it should show committed version?

                              Though I do not recall whether or not I was unsetting &modifiable. But this cannot lead to *just* not working gJ.

                              > ---

                            • Paul
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 30, 2013
                                On Monday, 30 September, 2013 at 15:30:24 BST, Nikolay Pavlov wrote:
                                >> I've encountered similar problems in the past, because I have a
                                >BufRead/BufWinEnter autocmd which sets 'nomodifiable' if 'readonly' is set.
                                >At one point I was doing a global "set nomodifiable" but now I do
                                >"setlocal" instead. Otherwise, any new buffers created also have
                                >'nomodifiable' set.
                                >>
                                >> Jan, if you've got a similar autocmd, you should make the same fix.

                                I don't have any mention of 'modif' in my ~/.vimrc, and I even disabled all other plugins. I didn't see a mention of modifiable in the output of ':au BufRead' and ':au BufWinEnter'.

                                There are no mappings for gJ / gK. There are maps for J and K, both set from frawor/mappings.vim.

                                >If what you mentioned here is the case he must be doing gJ in the wrong
                                >buffer (this must be done in the buffer with the committed version).

                                I open a file, do ':AuVimDiff' on it. The version of the file in the repo opens in a new window. I switch to that new window, and it's there I do gJ / gK.

                              • Nikolay Pavlov
                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 30, 2013

                                  What version of aurum do you use? Just found out that I not have this functionality in release: it was added in https://bitbucket.org/ZyX_I/aurum/commits/49b075fb190379a76e2d55f86309e9a15c664d1f (nearly two weeks after last release).

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 1, 2013
                                    On Monday, 30 September, 2013 at 18:03:41 BST, Nikolay Pavlov wrote:
                                    >What version of aurum do you use? Just found out that I not have this
                                    >functionality in release: it was added in
                                    >https://bitbucket.org/ZyX_I/aurum/commits/49b075fb190379a76e2d55f86309e9a15c664d1f(nearly
                                    >two weeks after last release).

                                    I was using 1.7.1 from http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3828, but I just tried the latest from bitbucket, and while I don't get that E error any more, and gJ / gK appear to be going through the correct revisions for the file (according to the filename at the bottom, which includes the commit number), the window just isn't showing the differences for each revision, like it's not always being updated. I'll investigate it more later.

                                  • ZyX
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 1, 2013
                                      > I was using 1.7.1 from http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3828, but I just tried the latest from bitbucket, and while I don't get that E error any more, and gJ / gK appear to be going through the correct revisions for the file (according to the filename at the bottom, which includes the commit number), the window just isn't showing the differences for each revision, like it's not always being updated. I'll investigate it more later.

                                      You are lucky that it iterates correctly for subversion. I see the correct behavior for the VCS systems I use (mercurial and git), failing tests for subversion-1.7.13 (they did work for subversion-1.6*) and surprisingly inconsistent behavior between gJ and :AuStatus: while gJ works like J (skip to next revision) on test lh-vim-lib repository, :AuStatus shows that test file was not changed in the revision gJ brought me to. It is surprising because :AuS and gJ use the same driver function.

                                      I will investigate these issues in the weekend for sure and maybe earlier. Until the time subversion driver should be considered broken. The downside of “but its subversion and bazaar backends are least stable as the only place where I use both VCSes is aurum test suite”.

                                    • Paul
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Oct 10, 2013
                                        On Tuesday, 01 October, 2013 at 19:38:38 BST, ZyX wrote:
                                        >I will investigate these issues in the weekend for sure and maybe earlier. Until the time subversion driver should be considered broken. The downside of “but its subversion and bazaar backends are least stable as the only place where I use both VCSes is aurum test suite”.

                                        FYI, I'm trying 1.8 and gK does exactly what gJ does, ie. it doesn't go forward in time, keeps going back. I can see that the mapping for it is indeed different to that of gK, calling 'next' instead of 'previous'.

                                      • Nikolay Pavlov
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Oct 10, 2013

                                          On Oct 11, 2013 2:55 AM, "Paul" <google1241@...> wrote:

                                          > On Tuesday, 01 October, 2013 at 19:38:38 BST, ZyX wrote:
                                          >>
                                          >> I will investigate these issues in the weekend for sure and maybe earlier. Until the time subversion driver should be considered broken. The downside of “but its subversion and bazaar backends are least stable as the only place where I use both VCSes is aurum test suite”.
                                          >

                                          > FYI, I'm trying 1.8 and gK does exactly what gJ does, ie. it doesn't go forward in time, keeps going back. I can see that the mapping for it is indeed different to that of gK, calling 'next' instead of 'previous'.

                                          Fixed in 1.8.1. Thanks for the report.

                                        • Paul
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Oct 11, 2013
                                            On Friday, 11 October, 2013 at 04:30:32 BST, Nikolay Pavlov wrote:
                                            >> FYI, I'm trying 1.8 and gK does exactly what gJ does, ie. it doesn't go
                                            >forward in time, keeps going back. I can see that the mapping for it is
                                            >indeed different to that of gK, calling 'next' instead of 'previous'.
                                            >
                                            >Fixed in 1.8.1. Thanks for the report.

                                            I'm still seeing that behaviour in 1.8.1…

                                          • ZyX
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Oct 11, 2013
                                              > I'm still seeing that behaviour in 1.8.1…

                                              Sorry, fix was committed to a wrong branch. It should be fine now.