Re: Sign column always present

  • Nikolay Pavlov
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 21, 2013

      On Aug 21, 2013 12:49 PM, "Andrew Stewart" <boss@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > Currently the sign column appears automatically when there are signs to show and disappears when there aren't.  I'd like the option to have the sign column always present to avoid the buffer's text moving sideways every time the sign column appears or disappears.
      >
      > This would also allow me to get rid of awful hacks adding dummy signs to non-existent lines to keep the sign column present.
      >
      > (Normally I'd dive into the source and submit a patch but regrettably I haven't written C for over 20 years. It would be painful for me to write and even worse for someone to review!)
      >
      > Apologies if this isn't the right place for feature requests.
      >
      > Yours,
      > Andy Stewart

      I think this is a good idea. It would be better if it was buffer global-local or local option though (I would want it only for buffers that have syntastic enabled).

      > ---

    • Josh
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 21, 2013
        On Aug 21, 2013, at 10:08 AM, Nikolay Pavlov <zyx.vim@...> wrote:

        On Aug 21, 2013 12:49 PM, "Andrew Stewart" <boss@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > Currently the sign column appears automatically when there are signs to show and disappears when there aren't.  I'd like the option to have the sign column always present to avoid the buffer's text moving sideways every time the sign column appears or disappears.
        >
        > This would also allow me to get rid of awful hacks adding dummy signs to non-existent lines to keep the sign column present.
        >
        > (Normally I'd dive into the source and submit a patch but regrettably I haven't written C for over 20 years. It would be painful for me to write and even worse for someone to review!)
        >
        > Apologies if this isn't the right place for feature requests.

        This is already a feature request:https://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=117&q=Sign
        It'd be great to have with syntastic!

        > Yours,
        > Andy Stewart

        I think this is a good idea. It would be better if it was buffer global-local or local option though (I would want it only for buffers that have syntastic enabled).

        > ---

      • Andrew Stewart
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 22, 2013
          On 21 Aug 2013, at 19:05, Josh <randomenduser@...> wrote:
          > This is already a feature request:https://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=117&q=Sign .

          Thanks for pointing this out. I've added a comment there.

          Yours,
          Andy Stewart

        • Christian Brabandt
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 22, 2013
            [redirected to vim-dev, it is better suited there]
            On Do, 22 Aug 2013, Andrew Stewart wrote:

            > On 21 Aug 2013, at 19:05, Josh wrote:
            > > This is already a feature
            > > request:https://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=117&q=Sign .

            Bram,
            attached patch adds a 'signcolumn' option, that let's the user either
            always show the signcolumn (value=yes), or never show the column
            (value=no) or the default only show, when there exists a sign
            (value=auto).

            regards,
            Christian
            --
            Erst machen die Menschen etwas und dann sind sie es.
            -- Karin Berwind

          • Bram Moolenaar
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 22, 2013
              Christian Brabandt wrote:

              > [redirected to vim-dev, it is better suited there]
              > On Do, 22 Aug 2013, Andrew Stewart wrote:
              >
              > > On 21 Aug 2013, at 19:05, Josh wrote:
              > > > This is already a feature
              > > > request:https://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=117&q=Sign .
              >
              > Bram,
              > attached patch adds a 'signcolumn' option, that let's the user either
              > always show the signcolumn (value=yes), or never show the column
              > (value=no) or the default only show, when there exists a sign
              > (value=auto).

              Thanks, I'll add it in the todo list.

              115. You are late picking up your kid from school and try to explain
              to the teacher you were stuck in Web traffic.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 8, 2014
                On Thursday, 22 August 2013 23:07:17 UTC+2, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                > > Bram,
                >
                > > attached patch adds a 'signcolumn' option, that let's the user either
                > > always show the signcolumn (value=yes), or never show the column
                > > (value=no) or the default only show, when there exists a sign
                > > (value=auto).
                >
                > Thanks, I'll add it in the todo list.

                Just wondering whether there's an ETA on this patch?

                Many thanks,
                Andrew Stewart

              • Bram Moolenaar
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 8, 2014
                  Andrew Stewart wrote:

                  > > > Bram,
                  > >
                  > > > attached patch adds a 'signcolumn' option, that let's the user either
                  > > > always show the signcolumn (value=yes), or never show the column
                  > > > (value=no) or the default only show, when there exists a sign
                  > > > (value=auto).
                  > >
                  > > Thanks, I'll add it in the todo list.
                  >
                  > Just wondering whether there's an ETA on this patch?

                  Nope. Depends on what other things get reported, how much time I can
                  spend on Vim and magic.

                  --
                  "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
                  Popular Mechanics, 1949