Re: Basic calculation in Vim

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 21, 2013
      On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 4:17:47 AM UTC-5, tjg wrote:
      > @BenFritz : tried again, failed again (got the answer c : undefined
      >
      > variable). Here is what I did :
      >

      > a) (normal mode) : "cyiw (on 30310)
      >
      > b) (insert mode) : <C-R>=c.0/1500
      >

      > I am sure the problem is on my side, but where ?

      Now you omitted the <C-R> to get the 'c' register.

      Your insert-mode should be:

      <C-R>=<C-R>c.0/1500<Enter>

      <C-R> insert a register
      = choose the "expression register" which drops you into a special mode to enter the expression to evaluate
      <C-R> insert a register in the special expression prompt mode
      c insert contents of register 'c'
      .0/1500 insert this text literally
      <Enter> evaluate the resulting expression and put it into the buffer where you are inserting

      <C-R>= is actually just a special case of <C-R> with a register. See :help @=, :help i_CTRL-R_=, :help registers.

    • tjg
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 21, 2013
        Thanks to your patience, I finally succeeded... And your explanations are
        very useful.

        Thank you very much.