Re: Certain commands undock & shift window

  • Dan Wierenga
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 20, 2013
      On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 12:10 AM, AndyHancock <AndyMHancock@...> wrote:
      The trick for docking a window from the keyboard is neat.  Unfortunately (well, just for me, that is), I will still have use the mouse since I actually adjust the window after docking to be skinnier than half the width of the screen.  I have a widescreen so that I can work with many windows at once, and having one app take up an entire half of the display defeats the purpose of the widescreen (especially when I don't need the app to take up that amount of width).

      I would look into AutoHotKey [1] then.  It does some pretty amazing things for Windows workflows.   This script [2] seems like something that would help you.

    • AndyHancock
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 20, 2013
        On Tuesday, August 20, 2013 12:43:42 PM UTC-4, dwierenga wrote:
        > On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 12:10 AM, AndyHancock <AndyMH...@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        > The trick for docking a window from the keyboard is neat.
        > Unfortunately (well, just for me, that is), I will still have use
        > the mouse since I actually adjust the window after docking to be
        > skinnier than half the width of the screen. I have a widescreen so
        > that I can work with many windows at once, and having one app take
        > up an entire half of the display defeats the purpose of the
        > widescreen (especially when I don't need the app to take up that
        > amount of width).
        >
        > I would look into AutoHotKey [1] then. It does some pretty amazing
        > things for Windows workflows. This script [2] seems like something
        > that would help you.
        >
        > [1] http://www.autohotkey.com/ [2]
        > http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/28663/create-a-hotkey-to-resize-windows-to-a-specific-size-with-autohotkey/

        Dan, it looks like an interestin app. Don't mean to sound unappreciative, but I am restricted in the kinds of solutions I can pursue because most of time, I'm in a locked down environment. It took moving heaven and earth to get vim. If it was a simple switch in vim to avoid the window shift problem, that'd be do-able. Anything else....it's could be remotely possible, but pushing for it could be a full time job. I think I better get use to reaching for the mouse. Thanks anyway.