Re: Certain commands undock & shift window

  • AndyHancock
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 20 12:10 AM
      On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 12:42 PM, Dan Wierenga wrote:
      >>On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 6:18 PM, AndyHancock wrote:
      >> I Windows 7, when I have the gvim windows docked against the right
      >> or left half of the screen, the following commands always seem
      >> undock the window and shifts the position:
      >>
      >> * tab split or tabclose
      >> * set guioptions+=b when it doesn't have b
      >> * set guioptions-=b when it does
      >>
      >> I use those commands alot, so I'm constantly having to readjust the
      >> window. Would anyone have an idea of what might cause this, and or
      >> how to go about troubleshooting?
      >>
      >>I can confirm the behavior on my setup too. I'd guess that Windows
      >>sees the height of the gvim window change and thus undocks it for
      >>you, just like it does if you change the height of the window with
      >>the mouse. I don't think there's a way to stop Windows from
      >>"helping" in that manner, unless you can somehow convince gvim to
      >>not change the window height. A few quick experiments didn't reveal
      >>anything useful to me however. I personally just re-dock the gvim
      >>window again. Holding down the Windows key and hitting the
      >>right-arrow key is a very quick way of re-docking it to the right
      >>side again ( or left-arrow to the left side), much faster than
      >>reaching for the mouse.

      Wow, I didn't even realize that the window size changed.

      The trick for docking a window from the keyboard is neat. Unfortunately (well, just for me, that is), I will still have use the mouse since I actually adjust the window after docking to be skinnier than half the width of the screen. I have a widescreen so that I can work with many windows at once, and having one app take up an entire half of the display defeats the purpose of the widescreen (especially when I don't need the app to take up that amount of width).

      Ah well. Welcome to Windows. Thanks anyway.

    • Dan Wierenga
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 20 9:43 AM
        On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 12:10 AM, AndyHancock <AndyMHancock@...> wrote:
        The trick for docking a window from the keyboard is neat.  Unfortunately (well, just for me, that is), I will still have use the mouse since I actually adjust the window after docking to be skinnier than half the width of the screen.  I have a widescreen so that I can work with many windows at once, and having one app take up an entire half of the display defeats the purpose of the widescreen (especially when I don't need the app to take up that amount of width).

        I would look into AutoHotKey [1] then.  It does some pretty amazing things for Windows workflows.   This script [2] seems like something that would help you.

      • AndyHancock
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 20 11:19 PM
          On Tuesday, August 20, 2013 12:43:42 PM UTC-4, dwierenga wrote:
          > On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 12:10 AM, AndyHancock <AndyMH...@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > The trick for docking a window from the keyboard is neat.
          > Unfortunately (well, just for me, that is), I will still have use
          > the mouse since I actually adjust the window after docking to be
          > skinnier than half the width of the screen. I have a widescreen so
          > that I can work with many windows at once, and having one app take
          > up an entire half of the display defeats the purpose of the
          > widescreen (especially when I don't need the app to take up that
          > amount of width).
          >
          > I would look into AutoHotKey [1] then. It does some pretty amazing
          > things for Windows workflows. This script [2] seems like something
          > that would help you.
          >
          > [1] http://www.autohotkey.com/ [2]
          > http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/28663/create-a-hotkey-to-resize-windows-to-a-specific-size-with-autohotkey/

          Dan, it looks like an interestin app. Don't mean to sound unappreciative, but I am restricted in the kinds of solutions I can pursue because most of time, I'm in a locked down environment. It took moving heaven and earth to get vim. If it was a simple switch in vim to avoid the window shift problem, that'd be do-able. Anything else....it's could be remotely possible, but pushing for it could be a full time job. I think I better get use to reaching for the mouse. Thanks anyway.