Re: Yank all lines in a file

  • Gautam
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 17, 2013
      On Saturday, August 17, 2013 1:21:13 AM UTC+2, Tim Chase wrote:
      > On 2013-08-17 01:03, Dominique Pellé wrote:
      >
      > > Another solution in 4 keystrokes:
      >

      > > ggyG
      >

      > While this works, I tend to shirk it as I occasionally fly with
      >
      > 'nosol' set. It doesn't happen to impact it in this case, but the
      >
      > extra thought exertion isn't worth it for me, so I just use the
      >

      > :%y<enter>
      >

      > that you mention :-)
      >

      > -tim

      Is there a significant difference between using "ggyG" as against ":%y<enter>"?

      I always use the former.

      - Gautam

    • Tim Chase
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 17, 2013
        On 2013-08-17 01:15, Gautam wrote:
        > Is there a significant difference between using "ggyG" as against
        > ":%y<enter>"?
        >
        > I always use the former.

        In exactly this case? Not really.

        However, as mentioned in another email, often my reason for yanking
        an entire document is to send it to the system clipboard. In that
        case, it's a one-character difference:

        gg"+yG

        vs

        :%y+<enter>

        It's something that I do often enough that I've just defaulted to
        using the Ex command. For registers named with letters, it's a
        wash.

        Also, I like to keep my Ex skills sharp. ;-)

        -tim

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 17, 2013
          Hi Tim!

          On Sa, 17 Aug 2013, Tim Chase wrote:

          > :%y+<enter>
          >
          > It's something that I do often enough that I've just defaulted to
          > using the Ex command. For registers named with letters, it's a
          > wash.
          >
          > Also, I like to keep my Ex skills sharp. ;-)

          You aren't alone mate ;)

          regards,
          Christian

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 17, 2013
            On 08/17/13 06:47, David Ohlemacher wrote:
            > 1GvGy does not get the end of the last line. G just takes you to the
            > first non-blank character of a line.

            With a capital V (i.e. shift-v) it does, because that makes the visual
            mode linewise.

            > I would use 1GvG$y

            Like Christian, I use :%y (or :%y+ to yank into the clipboard).

            War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ketchup is a vegetable.