Re: Yank all lines in a file

  • Tim Chase
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 16, 2013
      On 2013-08-17 01:03, Dominique Pellé wrote:
      > Another solution in 4 keystrokes:
      >
      > ggyG

      While this works, I tend to shirk it as I occasionally fly with
      'nosol' set. It doesn't happen to impact it in this case, but the
      extra thought exertion isn't worth it for me, so I just use the

      :%y<enter>

      that you mention :-)

      -tim

    • Steve Litt
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 16, 2013
        On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 17:45:48 -0500
        Benjamin Klein <ben@...> wrote:

        > I have a silly question: What is the fastest way to yank all lines
        > (V) in an opened file? I normally do:
        >
        > 1
        > yy
        >
        > Is that the simplest way to do this?

        I use ggyG

        But I know someone's going to find something better.

        Thanks,

        SteveT

        Steve Litt * http://www.troubleshooters.com/
        Troubleshooting Training * Human Performance

      • David Ohlemacher
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 16, 2013
          1GvGy does not get the end of the last line. G just takes you to the
          first non-blank character of a line.

          I would use 1GvG$y

          --
          David Ohlemacher
          Principle Software Engineer

          . o .
          . . o
          o o o

        • Gautam
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 17, 2013
            On Saturday, August 17, 2013 1:21:13 AM UTC+2, Tim Chase wrote:
            > On 2013-08-17 01:03, Dominique Pellé wrote:
            >
            > > Another solution in 4 keystrokes:
            >

            > > ggyG
            >

            > While this works, I tend to shirk it as I occasionally fly with
            >
            > 'nosol' set. It doesn't happen to impact it in this case, but the
            >
            > extra thought exertion isn't worth it for me, so I just use the
            >

            > :%y<enter>
            >

            > that you mention :-)
            >

            > -tim

            Is there a significant difference between using "ggyG" as against ":%y<enter>"?

            I always use the former.

            - Gautam

          • Tim Chase
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 17, 2013
              On 2013-08-17 01:15, Gautam wrote:
              > Is there a significant difference between using "ggyG" as against
              > ":%y<enter>"?
              >
              > I always use the former.

              In exactly this case? Not really.

              However, as mentioned in another email, often my reason for yanking
              an entire document is to send it to the system clipboard. In that
              case, it's a one-character difference:

              gg"+yG

              vs

              :%y+<enter>

              It's something that I do often enough that I've just defaulted to
              using the Ex command. For registers named with letters, it's a
              wash.

              Also, I like to keep my Ex skills sharp. ;-)

              -tim

            • Christian Brabandt
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 17, 2013
                Hi Tim!

                On Sa, 17 Aug 2013, Tim Chase wrote:

                > :%y+<enter>
                >
                > It's something that I do often enough that I've just defaulted to
                > using the Ex command. For registers named with letters, it's a
                > wash.
                >
                > Also, I like to keep my Ex skills sharp. ;-)

                You aren't alone mate ;)

                regards,
                Christian

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 17, 2013
                  On 08/17/13 06:47, David Ohlemacher wrote:
                  > 1GvGy does not get the end of the last line. G just takes you to the
                  > first non-blank character of a line.

                  With a capital V (i.e. shift-v) it does, because that makes the visual
                  mode linewise.

                  > I would use 1GvG$y

                  Like Christian, I use :%y (or :%y+ to yank into the clipboard).

                  War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ketchup is a vegetable.