Using Vim on Windows when you don't have admin rights

  • Tristan Strange
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 7, 2013

      What's the simplest way of getting a Vim onto a a Windows machine upon which you don't have administration rights?

      Is there a downloadable version that doesn't require "installation" and can simply be run from a folder?

      Cheers,
      Tristan

    • Tristan Strange
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 7, 2013
        Ok, I've followed instructions here but now I'm having problems installing pathogen....

        When it's present in my autoload folder Vim tells me the following upon startup and none of Vims menus etc. show:

        Error detected while processing \\smbhome.uscs.susx.ac.uk\ts296\Desktop\
        vim73\menu.vim:

        line  156:

        E121: Undefined variable: paste#paste_cmd

        E15: Invalid expression: 'vnoremenu <script> &Edit.&Paste<Tab>"+gP^I' .
        paste#paste_cmd['v']

        Can anyone provide details of how to install Pathogen on Windows?

        On 7 August 2013 14:08, Tristan Strange <tristan.strange@...> wrote:
        Hi,

        What's the simplest way of getting a Vim onto a a Windows machine upon which you don't have administration rights?

        Is there a downloadable version that doesn't require "installation" and can simply be run from a folder?

        Cheers,
        Tristan

      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 7, 2013
          On Wednesday, August 7, 2013 8:08:25 AM UTC-5, Tristan Strange wrote:
          > Hi,
          >

          > What's the simplest way of getting a Vim onto a a Windows machine upon which you don't have administration rights?
          >

          > Is there a downloadable version that doesn't require "installation" and can simply be run from a folder?

          You can install Vim to any folder at all, it doesn't have to be "Program Files". You don't usually need admin rights to install to C:\Vim for example. Or even C:\Users\Tristan\Vim if you must.

        • Ben Fritz
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 7, 2013
            On Wednesday, August 7, 2013 9:07:57 AM UTC-5, Tristan Strange wrote:
            > Ok, I've followed instructions here but now I'm having problems installing pathogen....

            Followed the instructions where? Pathogen's website tells you how to install, including instructions for Windows: https://github.com/tpope/vim-pathogen

            Remember to use "vimfiles" instead of ".vim". The easiest way to figure out where to put your "vimfiles" directory is to ask Vim:

            :echo $HOME

            That's also the place to put your vimrc file. If you're using Vim 7.3 or earlier, create $HOME\_vimrc. If you're using the 7.4 betas, you can instead put a file called "vimrc" into your new "vimfiles" directory.

            > When it's present in my autoload folder Vim tells me the following upon startup and none of Vims menus etc. show:
            >

            > Error detected while processing \\smbhome.uscs.susx.ac.uk\ts296\Desktop\
            > vim73\menu.vim:

            A UNC path? I'm not sure Vim will like that very much. Can you try mapping that as a drive and using that in any Vim shortcuts?

            > line  156:
            >

            > E121: Undefined variable: paste#paste_cmd
            >

            > E15: Invalid expression: 'vnoremenu <script> &Edit.&Paste<Tab>"+gP^I' .
            > paste#paste_cmd['v']
            >

            > Can anyone provide details of how to install Pathogen on Windows?

            This error has nothing to do with Pathogen. Installing Pathogen should only require sticking the file in your autoload directory and adding the line to your vimrc file.

            It appears that somehow you've installed Vim without the autoload runtime directory, or you have that directory but your vim73 directory isn't on your runtimepath.

            Is there an "autoload" directory under your vim73 directory? Is there a "paste.vim" file inside?

            What does ":set runtimepath?" show?